Best wood to smoke a brisket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BHopkins
What? You're from Texas. Why are you even asking? Isn't it like, sacreligious to smoke brisket in Texas with anything other than mesquite?

We always had pecan trees growing up,so pecan was almost always what we used. I was kind've wanting to experiment. I have an old bag of pecan logs I bought from HEB. I keep reading about using cherry on all the bbq forums, and they all swear by it, saying nothing is better. I stopped by there on the way home from work and bought a bag of cherry smoking wood.

What? You're from Texas. Why are you even asking? Isn't it like, sacreligious to smoke brisket in Texas with anything other than mesquite?

Spoken like a true non Texan.
Mesquite burns to hot... good for steaks though.

Central Texas is Oak, East Texas is Hickory.
Pecan is another excellent choice.

I use hickory cherry, and occasionally pecan. Always tastes good but really difficult to get tender on a Weber Kettle grill.

I use pecan for brisket. Only thing I use the mesquite for is burgers and dogs.

I forgot to mention beech. It's a true all-rounder for smoking any meat or fish. And fir is great for smoking ham.

Oak for brisket, and burgers
Mesquite for steaks
Pecan for ribs and chicken

I trimmed a pear tree and it will soon be dry enough to play with some of that wood

Well, Pecan is the Texas state tree.

Originally Posted by KJSmith

Pass this man a cold Shiner beer
beer3.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by KJSmith

Pass this man a cold Shiner beer
beer3.gif

Amen brother
11.gif

Brisket on the barbie. Decided on cherry wood. So tender it's beginning to come apart on the grill:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I'll be right down with some Corona and cornbread. Whay did you marinade it in or run it with?

Looks delicious
20.gif

I put it in the Crock Pot for 8 hours seasoned with sea salt,pepper,and liquid smoke. It'll smoke on the smoker for 8 hours periodically basted with the brisket's own au jus from the Crock Pot.

Here's a chunk off the end tip (my favorite part!). It's so tender it literally falls to pieces!
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by sloinker
Natalie Wood

That would be for dessert
wink.gif

I guess if you are making floats.
cool.gif

I think it depends on what flavor profile you and your family/guests prefer - my wife hates heavy smoke - I get it, but still ............
48.gif

Pecan and oak together is my favorite for a lot of beef, cherry and hickory are hard to beat.

As much as I love alder - I reserve that for fish and chicken. Apple is sweeter and doesn't have that unique light alder flavor aroma, I think apple and pecan are good together as well. I've done apple and mesquite once with ribs and it was excellent. My guess it would be really good for a brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back