My switch to mobil1EP 0w20 and yearly oci

2003 Accord...I think body will die sooner than engine. Car has 183k kms..In crazy cold Winnipeg.
Car asks for 5w20 but I switched to Mobil1 EP 0w20 and now Fram Ultra filter. only change oil once a year now.. requires half quart top up every 2000kms or so as it burns oil. I change oil in April.. Top up with EP 5W30 in summer months and then top up with EP 0w20 from fall onwards.
Mechanic was not happy and told me thats wrong oil. Had to tell him that Honda back speced.

Am I doing overkill with these crazy good oils and filter etc if the car's life is another 5 years only due to body and family's overall view that I am obsessed with this 17 yo car...

car drives great though...

Last edited:
… good plan, lots of solid engineering and manufacturing went into your selected products
Top up's keeps it replenished …
Mechanic will eventually accept it's working …

I guess it depends on how many miles you're putting on it, but if the odometer for the last 18 years is indicative of the average ~10kkm(~6500-7000mi) a year, I think the OCI is fine, it might be able to go longer but, meh, for a car you drive regularly changing the oil and filter once a year with top shelf oil and a top shelf filter is hardly excessive.

Originally Posted by asker123
. requires half quart top up every 2000kms or so as it burns oil.

It burns HALF A QUART EVERY 1,200 MILES?

You are wasting money on expensive oil. Just top with the cheapest API SN 5W-30 all summer

and then switch over to whatever cheap 0W-20 you can purchase economically starting late august.

Oh, and leave the Fram Ultra oil filter for 2 whole years (or more, really).
You replenish so much new oil, that your filter will (quite honestly) actually last for the rest of the life of that worn-out car.
I once ran 30,000 miles on a Motorcraft FL-1A .... think your Fram Ultra is up to the task just fine.
(In fact, keep watch for my "50,000 mile Fram Tough Guard" post that is coming some time this weekend)

I'd probably use Walmart Supertech 0w20 synthetic and save some money....they also have 5w30 for your summer top-ups..
I agree with Linctex that you are 'wasting money on expensive oil'... Supertech also has a 'High Mileage' 0w20 synthetic that would be worth trying....

In your situation, I'd use whatever the owner's manual calls for and change the oil on their severe schedule.

I don't know about "overkill" when changing oil once a year. I could never go a year between
oil changes. 6 months max for me.

Originally Posted by Gebo
In your situation, I'd use whatever the owner's manual calls for and change the oil on their severe schedule.

I don't know about "overkill" when changing oil once a year. I could never go a year between
oil changes. 6 months max for me.

Same. 6 month intervals for my weekend cars. 3 month intervals for my daily.

Originally Posted by asker123
2003 Accord...I think body will die sooner than engine. Car has 183k kms..In crazy cold Winnipeg.
Car asks for 5w20 but I switched to Mobil1 EP 0w20 and now Fram Ultra filter. only change oil once a year now.. requires half quart top up every 2000kms or so as it burns oil. I change oil in April.. Top up with EP 5W30 in summer months and then top up with EP 0w20 from fall onwards.
Mechanic was not happy and told me thats wrong oil. Had to tell him that Honda back speced.

Am I doing overkill with these crazy good oils and filter etc if the car's life is another 5 years only due to body and family's overall view that I am obsessed with this 17 yo car...
car drives great though...

Why no mention of how many miles per year you accumulate? I would just run 5w30 year-round. There's people in Anchorage using 5w30 brand name syns with no problems.
Your consumption with 5w30 will decrease.
Also, a Fram Toughguard is plenty for yearly OCIs or 12K and efficiency is similar to the Ultra. We have members here getting 350-400K using Purolator Classic knock-offs like Proline filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wolf_06
I would use 5w30 castrol Edge black bottle or magnatec, I believe they are both on the thick side.

Why are you telling me this?
Click reply to the OPs opening comment. That sends your reply intentions to OP member asker, not I.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I would use 5w30 castrol Edge black bottle or magnatec, I believe they are both on the thick side.

Click reply to the OPs opening comment. That sends your reply intentions to OP member asker, not I.

I didnt' say anything to you.

Both are around 10.5CSt, kinda on the thinner side

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I didnt' say anything to you.

Your post was directed at me. See on the top where it says Re: My switch to mobil1EP 0w20 and yearly oci? Right next to that (to the right) is who you replied to.
This post says I directed my comment to you..... [Re: wolf_06]

No biggie really! I just like to help-out.

Intetesting. I never paid attention to the second "Re: ..." on top of the posts.

so if you just type a response without clicking on anything, it will be Re:OriginalPoster
That's what I always did ...

But if you click on "Reply" of the last post, then it will be Re:LastPoster ...
Was always wondering what the reply botton is for and never used it. I only used "Quote" or typed my comments without clicking on anything. But it all makes sense now.
grin2.gif

Basically reply is a "quote" without quoting ...
I should start looking at the second "Re:" from now on.
The problem is the second Re: has a very light font color and almost invisible on my device
lol.gif

0W may not be bad idea in winter

if OM recommendation is 5W, try 5W30 or even 10W30 is summer see if it helps.
But that would require 2 oil changes. I would try a syn 5W30 since you like 0W20 and prefer annual oil changes.

one of my older cars burns oil with syn or blend but does great with 10W30 dino.
You'll have to experiment a little.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Intetesting. I never paid attention to the second "Re: ..." on top of the posts.

so if you just type a response without clicking on anything, it will be Re:OriginalPoster
That's what I always did ...

But if you click on "Reply" of the last post, then it will be Re:LastPoster ...
Was always wondering what the reply botton is for and never used it. I only used "Quote" or typed my comments without clicking on anything. But it all makes sense now.
grin2.gif

Basically reply is a "quote" without quoting ...
I should start looking at the second "Re:" from now on.
The problem is the second Re: has a very light font color and almost invisible on my device
lol.gif

OilUzer and mostly Wolf
I forgot how many use this board from their phones or small tablets. Yes, that makes it really difficult to see.
Perhaps the best MO is to use the reply button of the person you are replying to.

I am on a 24" screen....Dell Desktop. I can make everything huge here. Some here don't have that advantage, so I'll regress from remarking again on it.
Enjoy this place - it's fun to chat with the fellas here. Lots to learn.

Hi there , back again ... I have had 2 years yearly oci with M1 0W20 extended performance. No issues so far.
Since last change in June 2022 I have only riven 6000 kms ( 3700 miles) .. because the car burns some oil, I had added 1/2 litre around Nov.
With this less driving , can I go another year with this oil? I will need to top up another 1/2 liter rightaway.
Unfortunately thereare some short trips I can not avoid in those -30 deg celcius temp for grocery ( around 10 kms) I also do 17 kms once a week trip too.
I heard fuel dilution, condensation and acid formation is bad for engine.
Am I taking risk here by pushing OCI to 2 years? cost of M1 0w20 extended performance in 75 CAD. the filter and mechanic charges I am talking 125CAD for oil change.
Car has 224000kms on it and I will like to keep it for another 10 years.
It burns some oil and now I see oil leakage from engine top side and backside too. not crazy but you can see oil in the area above serpentine belt.
thoughts?

Hi there , back again ... I have had 2 years yearly oci with M1 0W20 extended performance. No issues so far.
Since last change in June 2022 I have only riven 6000 kms ( 3700 miles) .. because the car burns some oil, I had added 1/2 litre around Nov.
With this less driving , can I go another year with this oil? I will need to top up another 1/2 liter rightaway.
Unfortunately thereare some short trips I can not avoid in those -30 deg celcius temp for grocery ( around 10 kms) I also do 17 kms once a week trip too.
I heard fuel dilution, condensation and acid formation is bad for engine.
Am I taking risk here by pushing OCI to 2 years? cost of M1 0w20 extended performance in 75 CAD. the filter and mechanic charges I am talking 125CAD for oil change.
Car has 224000kms on it and I will like to keep it for another 10 years.
It burns some oil and now I see oil leakage from engine top side and backside too. not crazy but you can see oil in the area above serpentine belt.
thoughts?

If you are looking at keeping the car for another 10 years, I wouldn't go past a year without an oil change. Especially short tripping in cold weather can put extra fuel in the oil.

Also, if you keep your eye open at Canadian Tire M1 EP regularly comes on sale for $39ish for 4.73L. M1 EP is a great oil, but doing what your doing any of the other major brands will do the same job. This week Canadian Tire has Quaker State Full Synthetic on sale for $34.88 for 5L plus a $10 mail in rebate which brings the price down to $24.88 for 5L. You can get two 5L jugs for about $50 and have 1L of top up oil left over in each jug for the next two years.

Back