Making to jump to a minivan? Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Yeah sure. Let's pick a platform that has been in production way before this test was even conceived and then assume that most American makes also perform poorly.

You are correct, I over-generalized earlier. I'm not bashing the American makes here and up until three months ago, we always had at least one American car in the family. Unfortunately times have changed and no one can deny that the Asian and European makes have been doing a significantly better at updating their offerings with the newer IIHS tests in-mind. Just take a look at the number of American cars that got the Top Safety Pick awards for 2019 or 2020 and compare it to the number of Asian and European cars. It's obvious that the American makes are prioritizing something other than safety at this time (probably just trying to stay afloat honestly).

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks

I have a childhood friend who is permanently brain damaged because of a seemingly minor car accident; 15 years after the accident, he still needs an in-home care nurse to feed him and clothe him. Because of seeing him waste away and his family go bankrupt because of his medical expenses, my wife and I make our vehicle decisions with safety ratings very heavily weighted.

Originally Posted by sloinker
The FCA hate is evident on all posts when FCA is mentioned. I'm surprised the same idjits don't compare a 1962 Dodge Lancer to a 2020 Volvo just to make their biased point. There are no stow and go seats in any minivan other than FCA. If you buy a Toyota or Honda with the same equipment level as a Dodge you will spend $10-15K more new and probably something equivalent used. .

You are 100% right. It amazes my how overrated Honda and Toyota is, and how harshly FCA is judged. I had a great Caravan, and now own an absolutely fantastic RAM truck.

Rear A/C refrigerant leaks happen on anything with rear A/C, although it's more problematic in the rust belt like anything else.

Out of the 4 different make/model minivans we owned over a 17yr period, our 2013 Grand Caravan was my favorite in terms of cost, comfort, performance, etc.

I like Toyota products, but like said above, I could never justify the extra $10K just to have kids, pets and the darling bride trash it the way they do.

Originally Posted by dja4260
I'm not buying this vehicle because it's the best minivan on the market. I'm looking to buy one of these because it's been around for a century, with a proven Pentstar V6 and is priced thousands less then it's peers. It's not a big investment and I won't be upset when one of my 3 kids makes a mess in back. It's simply the best I can do, given what I want to spend. It's actually nicier than anything we have ever owned. Cars are appliances to me.

Many posters like to suggest how to spend other folks money. A dodge van will fit your requirements and appetite for costs well. I have similar requirements and had a dodge van that fit my requirements well for quite a few years and well over 100K miles with original power train before a flood took it out. The electric doors and stow & go option were very nice and useful options that I had in mine.

At one point in time I owned a 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with the terrible 2.7L v6. The car was a POS, but it got me through college. I'm by no means a Mopar/Dodge fanboy.

Originally Posted by JTK
Rear A/C refrigerant leaks happen on anything with rear A/C, although it's more problematic in the rust belt like anything else.

Out of the 4 different make/model minivans we owned over a 17yr period, our 2013 Grand Caravan was my favorite in terms of cost, comfort, performance, etc.

I like Toyota products, but like said above, I could never justify the extra $10K just to have kids, pets and the darling bride trash it the way they do.

Only advantage Sienna has is AWD. And it is BIG advantage.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I would agree that minivans in stock FWD format are barely adequate in winter conditions with brand new all-seasons. I had to fit all of ours with snow tires for our winters.

Originally Posted by JTK

I would agree that minivans in stock FWD format are barely adequate in winter conditions with brand new all-seasons. I had to fit all of ours with snow tires for our winters.

I run snow tires on Sienna regardless that it is AWD. With that set up there is absolutely no restrictions where I can go, when etc. Also, solves horrid torque steer.

Originally Posted by JTK

They are miserable climbing hillls to ski areas. I usually pass them as they crawl up.

Don't forget that the Pacfica minivan is now available in AWD for those that need or want it. The price difference between the Pacifica and the Honda/Toyota is less than its Dodge counterpart so many of the aforementioned arguments go by the wayside.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
FWD Chrysler vehicles seem to develop transmission leaks more than any other vehicle on the road, I assure you that's why they have higher than normal transmission failures! The 62TE is a good transaxle & will last if it has ATF in it!

I agree with this thought.
My parents 2000 GC went to the junkyard at 15 years old with the original transmission in it. It developed the typical small leak around the external solenoid around 50k. It wasn't enough to make a big spot on the driveway but after a month it added up to a quart. How many soccer mom's check their transmission fluid? How many people topped off with the correct atf+4?

When they got it they didn't even have any of my siblings still living at home. They just love how easy they are to get in and out of. Easy to get the groceries and dogs in and out of. They are in their late 60s now and caravan #4

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CrAlt
FWD Chrysler vehicles seem to develop transmission leaks more than any other vehicle on the road, I assure you that's why they have higher than normal transmission failures! The 62TE is a good transaxle & will last if it has ATF in it!

My parents 2000 GC went to the junkyard at 15 years old with the original transmission in it. It developed the typical small leak around the external solenoid around 50k. It wasn't enough to make a big spot on the driveway but after a month it added up to a quart. How many soccer mom's check their transmission fluid? How many people topped off with the correct atf+4?

That could be the case. I know the AT pan on my 15 was very poorly sealed from the factory. Couple this with lack of dipstick to check ATF level and it could be a significant contributor. By the time someone notices the leak, a critical portion of the ATF could be gone by then. And it's doesn't take much fluid loss to negatively affect a transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by CrAlt

That could be the case. I know the AT pan on my 15 was very poorly sealed from the factory. Couple this with lack of dipstick to check ATF level and it could be a significant contributor. By the time someone notices the leak, a critical portion of the ATF could be gone by then. And it's doesn't take much fluid loss to negatively affect a transmission.

This van would be kept in a clean garage with an epoxied tan floor. I would hope to notice any sort of leak. I caught a super slow power-steering leak on my Highlander.

My '05 Town & Country went 140k miles with two drain/filter/fills and without any leaks or issues. When I traded it in on my '14 Grand Caravan it still looked and drove like brand new. I actually got more for the trade from the dealer than I was going to ask for it on Craigslist which was surprising. I did have to cap off the rear AC and change the radiator on it as far as maintenance issues, also I became an expert at changing the $30 wiring harnesses for both side electric doors. I could do it in less than 15 minutes. Dealer wanted $500 for the repair, scroo them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back