Tire Choice Decison

My elderly Saab 9-3 needs new boots. I don't drive the car much anymore, ~5k/yr so I'm not going to spend much. These might be the last new tires the Saab gets. A local tire shop has Ohtsu a/s for $59, Discount Tire offers Nankang a/s for about the same price. Size is 215/55/16.

Does anybody have experience with these tire brands?

Nankang and Milestar tires are imported by Tireco. The Milestar MS932 tires on my Infiniti have been excellent. I've seen many poor reviews on the Ohtsu brand. I got my Milestars from a Discount Tire store, so they should be able to sell you Milestar as well as Nankang. Great pricing.

Nope.

Mastercrafts are made in USA and normally inexpensive.

They have 4 tires in your size.

Last edited:
Have you considered the highly regarded General AltiMax RT43(if available inyour size) at a similar price after rebate which is going on til the end of April. Maybe you can even negotiate that little extra(as I did), with your local tire dealer.

Last edited:
I vote the General Altimax. My grandson has them and they are doing great after 3 years. Don't completely cheap out on tires.

General Altamax would also be my go to recommendation for the under $100 a tire category. Personally I'd still try to stretch my budget to either a BF Goodrich or Conti with a 400-500 tread and AA traction. Maybe $60-100 more total with rebates.

I've got a couple of the foll Milestar's on my Accord and they seem fine. Reason I used them was the need to replace one tire and the rest still had a lot of life left so I put two of the Milestar's on to have a matched pair on each side. They have about 6K on them now and when the rears need replacing I will use them again. They do seem to give a firmer ride than the Assurance's that I had before.

https://www.milestartires.com/passenger-tires/ms932-xp-plus/

Ohtsu are old Falken tires designs sold at a more value price point.

I had the equivalent FP0612 A/S, which had good grip, but got loud quickly as the tires wear, and wouldn't trust them in the snow

Back