Laptop battery question.

I need to get a new battery for my HP laptop. The OEM is HP 718677-422 (CA06XL). In looking on Ebay I see there are knock off versions at half the price of $28 for the HP. Are they worth it? Seems the volts are the same but the mAh numbers are always off. The $14 asking price even has a make an offer option.

How long do you want one of these replacements to last ? As long as the original or even half the time ? If so, these no-name ones won't do that. The usage time between charges will be less as well. In my experience, there's simply no middle road between the OEM batteries and replacements. If it's easy to replace, sometimes it's just simpler to go with the cheapo option....

I've bought several cheap Ebay batteries over the years, although always for Macs.

I've had poor luck with them-rarely do I get a year without them failing to charge and/or swelling.

I have used plenty of aftermarket batteries, but the ones I buy are similar in price to a genuine.

Who makes the cells in those knock off batteries?

Seems that most of the lithium ion batteries that go up in flames are cheap replacements.

Spend the money on OEM.

If you are handy with soldering, you can replace the cells with new 18650. I am in the same situation. This laptop is 10 YO and won't quit but batteries keep dying. I am not confident on soldering the battery cells so I am hesitant on renewing them but if I was comfortable, I would go that route. Good quality 18650 would last longer than el cheapo knockoff batteries.

I got BND brand of battery for another laptop, china made, they had a website with lot of battery like products, similar price range and has been actually better than the OEM. Check if they have battery listed for your machine on Amazon.

I've gotten aftermarket batteries on amazon from uBattery and PWR+. I've never been disappointed with a laptop adapter or battery from either place. I would never pay 2-3x as much from OEM. I just haven't seen anything like 2-3x performance from OEM batteries on my laptops.

I wouldn't offer 14c for that crap, how much is your home worth to you?

[Linked Image]

My experience with aftermarket batteries has been less than stellar. They conked out, failed to charge, or quit as soon as they were unplugged. If the computer is a good one then buy OEM. If it's an old clunker then that's not as important other than the safety factor.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Originally Posted by Y_K
Something was definitely substandard. Want to bet where it was made?

That's easy money.

What laptop batteries (or any battery for that matter) aren't made there?

Back