What coolant is equivalent to Subaru Super Coolant Premixed?

Or at least comes close to it? I don't think I have a leak, just some evaporation after four years. The OEM coolant (SOA868V9270) is $25.96 at the dealer. A little research shows there are a few manufacturers that make Asian blue coolant that's less expensive: Pentosin Pentofrost A3, Beck Arnley and Valvoline Xerex Asian. All of these claim to be OEM compatible.

The manual says not to mix brands so I'm hoping there's something out there that's the same stuff but rebranded. What say the experts? Thanks.

I have used Pentofrost A3 on my Maxima, but the VQ35DE engine doesn't have history of head gasket problems. I think you would sleep better if you used the actual Subaru pre-mixed.

There's nothing special about Subaru coolant, it's a P-OAT like all the asian manufacturer's use dyed to the color of their liking. Honda uses blue, Toyota uses pink, etc, etc virtually the same stuff with a different color. You can use any of the asian branded coolants out there, even the new Prestone with Cor-guard is now a P-OAT. The universal yellow dyed coolants like Prestone have the advantage that they won't change the color of the coolant in your system, so if you add half a quart of yellow Prestone your coolant will stay the proper blue, pink, green, etc color.

I've used the Valvoline blue premix with great success. The front of the jug is labeled that it is for Honda, Acura, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, and others. On the back it specifically lists Subaru SOA868V9270. And it is rated as a 5 year/150k mile fill, very similar to the Subaru coolant.

+1 BHopkins I've used the Valvoline blue premix as well, but if you're just topping off the expansion tank, just bite the bullet and get the gallon of Subaru. Talk to the dealer, ask them to price match because you'd like to spend your money locally, but you want competitive price as well. Remind him you could easily purchase another brand, but prefer OEM. Use link below for leverage- it's another Subaru dealer. Good luck!

https://estore.subarupartswarehouse...-Gallon-Bottle/49506099/SOA868V9270.html

I don't know how old is your Subaru but how much are you going to save by using a substitute? Somewhere between $5-10? It was not worth the headache for me so I got Subaru branded coolant for 2015 Forester.
Someone suggested to me Peak Global (which I have on hand for 2006 Sentra) but decided to go with Subaru branded for $25 for the peace of mind.

Check another dealership. I noticed every dealership prices differently. This particular dealership I use charges less for material but more for labor.

I'm with MoneyJohn.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Jake_J
There's nothing special about Subaru coolant, it's a P-OAT like all the asian manufacturer's use dyed to the color of their liking. Honda uses blue, Toyota uses pink, etc, etc virtually the same stuff with a different color. You can use any of the asian branded coolants out there, even the new Prestone with Cor-guard is now a P-OAT. The universal yellow dyed coolants like Prestone have the advantage that they won't change the color of the coolant in your system, so if you add half a quart of yellow Prestone your coolant will stay the proper blue, pink, green, etc color.

Interesting about Prestone Cor-guard, I saw that Walmart carried it but couldn't find detailed info like MSDS online, and nothing on the bottle (picture) says what it really is. Anyway at WM it's only in pre-diluted form, which I never buy. I wanted a POAT and ended up getting Pentosin A2 "extended life" at a little over $18 (which is for concentrate) at Rockauto. Like the nice blue-green color, dexcool orange was getting boring LOL.

Is it safe to say that if topping off is due to evaporation, then adding distilled water will bring the coolant back to its original 50/50 condition? This is assuming that only pure water evaporates. Thanks.

I used to own a Subaru, so I had a gallon of the Genuine Subaru stuff. I eventually sold the Subaru but still had the coolant. After doing some research, I concluded that it's the same as the blue Honda stuff, which is what the Pentofrost A3 and the blue Zerex Asian vehicle coolant is. I ended up using the rest of the Subaru coolant in the Honda CR-V I owned at the time.

Is it safe to say that if topping off is due to evaporation, then adding distilled water will bring the coolant back to its original 50/50 condition? This is assuming that only pure water evaporates. Thanks.

I used to add distilled, but figured a fractional bit more concentration would be maybe slightly beneficial. I mean, if you’re adding a consequential amount then it’s likely do to a small leak, and if not, then then the concentration effect will be inconsequential, but maybe replenish the additives, even if just a tiny little bit.

Back