Mazda P5518 7k Miles

This filter came off my girlfriend's 2017 Mazda 6 after about 7k miles. This was the first oil change we've done at home, dealer included 3yrs of oil changes and that ran out. One of the easiest cars to change the oil on. There was a lot of black crud in the filter which is kind of concerning. Car had about 50k mike on it at that point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think that it's nothing to worry about, that is what the filter is supposed to catch.

If you are worried, and since you are starting to do your oil changes, maybe try a 1k miles OCI to flush all of that out and check the filter again.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

What did you replace it with?
smile.gif

That Mazda value filter looks like a Wix

I was wondering that as well. I thought they were made by Denso but the flat gasket is a giveaway.

No anti-drainback valve in that one by the looks of it. Are those the pleats in the holes?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Just for comparison I took a picture of the Thai made filter for my CX5. It has the same engine.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tomcruise
There was a lot of black crud in the filter which is kind of concerning. Car had about 50k mike on it at that point.

That's hardly anything to be concerned about. Looks like normal winter time carbon deposits due to cold winter start blow-by. I've seen this on my vehicles.

The filter did it's job ... it filtered out deposits generated by the engine.

Originally Posted by tcp71
No anti-drainback valve in that one by the looks of it. Are those the pleats in the holes?

Just for comparison I took a picture of the Thai made filter for my CX5. It has the same engine.

[Linked Image]

That's right. No ADBV needed for this application.

thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

Replaced it with a CAT 199-2239. I have pictures of that used filter too I'll post here in a while.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Just to let you know that P5518 is not the part number, the part number is PE01-14-302A-MV

Oh...🤷ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

Replaced it with a CAT 199-2239. I have pictures of that used filter too I'll post here in a while.
[Linked Image]

Hey! Made in Japan. I would buy that no problem!
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

I like how the CAT filter is made in Japan but the Mazda filter is made in Thailand or Mexico
27.gif

The Mazda filters made in Japan are for their domestic market. You won't see them over here much. The Thailand made filters are very good.

The Mexican made filters get some negative comments on forums. Looking at the one in this thread and comparing it to the Thai filter, I would go with the latter. I'm surprised at the difference in the baseplate.

The Value Mazda filter has louvers and a coil spring, wonder who makes that. The Thai filter looks as though they want flow directly to the pleats as much as possible. The holes seem too large and the base plate metal not enough. I would say that base plate would be be weak and prone to flex. Hard to tell how thick it is.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The Value Mazda filter has louvers and a coil spring, wonder who makes that. The Thai filter looks as though they want flow directly to the pleats as much as possible. The holes seem too large and the base plate metal not enough. I would say that base plate would be be weak and prone to flex. Hard to tell how thick it is.

Looks plenty thick to me. I have not heard of any failures.

It's hard to see in the pictures but there is a layer of clear resin or something similar on top of the pleats. That layer seems to go right up to the underneath of the baseplate.

The filter is very sturdy. I'm thinking the overall construction adds to rigidity rather than having a really thick baseplate with a beer can like shell attached.

[Linked Image]

I like how the CAT filter is made in Japan but the Mazda filter is made in Thailand or Mexico
27.gif

What's funny is the filter inside says "made in Korea" On it which I don't understand

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Looks plenty thick to me. I have not heard of any failures.

It's hard to see in the pictures but there is a layer of clear resin or something similar on top of the pleats. That layer seems to go right up to the underneath of the baseplate.

The filter is very sturdy. I'm thinking the overall construction adds to rigidity rather than having a really thick baseplate with a beer can like shell attached.

Not knocking your filter just haven't seen quite that much hole versus metal. It's Mazda brand so they have tested it. When the base is tightened the outer part resists while the thread part keeps turning so it could be possible with any filter to pull down the center of the base with excessive force. Since Toyota sells Mazda products I wonder what their filter looks like.

Back