CAT 220-1523 5k Miles

This filter came off of my 2009 Ford Focus after 5k miles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like the zig-zag pleats. Never seen that before.
The coil spring is also another good feature. it provides more consistent force on the filter element than the sheet metal spring in cheaper filters.

It was intact, I wiped it off with brake clean so I think it's the clean rubber and residual oil that's giving the illusion of the rubber being broken down.

Originally Posted by wwillson
It seems that you could run that filter much longer.

Looks like a 500 hour high efficiency small dozer or back hoe filter, could probably go 20k-25k on a well maintained car engine.

Last edited:
I can't wrap my head around the idea that there is more filter media. there is only a set amount of space available for media and air. In this example, for all the apparent extra media zigzagged, there is also more air space zigzagged. Someone explain to me why there is actually more media IF we were to compare it to a tight packed vertical media. Is it possible that the media amount is the same, but there is more surface area??

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Wow I didn't think CAT would use Purflux
crazy2.gif

Do you think it's worth spending the extra money on? Especially with Napa Platinum on sale for $5.99 this month.

I remember seeing those filters cut open when I used to go to the Cat dealer to pickup parts.Probably 30+ years ago. Cat seems to have great parts.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Wow I didn't think CAT would use Purflux
crazy2.gif

Do you think it's worth spending the extra money on? Especially with Napa Platinum on sale for $5.99 this month.

I think it's worth it for me because I t's like $8 and I can just grab one while I'm at work.

Back