Scrapple, and livermush

I have to admit that when I was down south, I tried livermush and liked it. Growing up on a farm, SCRAPPLE, was a staple. Anyone here enjoy these and how do you eat it? With something else or by itself. Thank You and happy Saturday

Grew up in Lancaster County, PA. Scrapple was a staple back in the 1950's. Had it for breakfast with syrup and many times for dinner. Today, I can't stand the stuff anymore!

I never heard of livermush but I bet I wouldn't like it because I do not like liver.

The scappple I've had needed seasoning. The scrapple I've seen in diners was sliced from a deli-loaf.

Does it come in links and patties too?

Rapa scrapple my favorite. Scrapple festival every fall in Bridgeville, De., rapa plant on site.

Some southern restaurants serve liver mush, some call it liver pudding, fried for breakfast. I avoid it at all cost! I considered ordering scrapple for breakfast at a Bob Evans in Pa once but thought better of it and ordered bacon.

Growing up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland we would have fried scrapple with fried eggs in the morning, along with Maryland beat biscuits. Topped the biscuits with butter and jelly. The biscuits looked like a golf ball. When we were kids we would take a few in our pockets to eat while in the woods.

OT: maybe there should be a "regional food oddites" thread.

I posted years ago about my parents moving to VA and looking for Brown Bread, you know, the New England clambake staple that comes in a can.

Scrapple used to be a regional thing. When I was a kid in Balto we had it every weekend for breakfast. Then we moved to Chicago and no more scrapple but dad loved Spam so that got substituted. Boy do I hate Spam. Now it seems you can get it everywhere. Always had mine fried and used anywhere you could use sausage or bacon. On the side, on a sandwich, broken up in scrambled eggs after you fry it. I prefer Rapa but you have to try both and decide for yourself, they have distinctly different flavor.

Being from the Land of Livermush I was raised on it and love it to this day. Leaving the Land of Livermush brought some challenges to being able to enjoy Livermush. It involves a cooler, slicing, wrapping in butcher paper and freezing. I don't like liver, but Livermush is totally different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livermush

My great grandparents in Nebraska always had it. They called is pannhass or however it is spelled. Fried it and put corn syrup on it. Mom tried to make it after great grandma died and it just wasn't the same.

I remember is being lighter colored that the pictures on the internet show. I think it has a texture similar to grits but in a congealed form.

Never had liver mush.

Last edited:
Gotta eat Glier's Goetta...it's a SW Ohio staple for breakfast. Kind of like scrapple but with steel cut oats, so the texture is different. Found a German butcher shop in Sarasota FL that sells it too. I suspect if you didn't grow up eating stuff like this, you'll never develop a taste for it.

As a weird aside, there are 2 pronunciations for goetta...my inlaws pronounce it Gutta, like your gut, younger people say Getta, like get something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CincyDavid
Gotta eat Glier's Goetta...it's a SW Ohio staple for breakfast. Kind of like scrapple but with steel cut oats, so the texture is different. Found a German butcher shop in Sarasota FL that sells it too. I suspect if you didn't grow up eating stuff like this, you'll never develop a taste for it.

As a weird aside, there are 2 pronunciations for goetta...my inlaws pronounce it Gutta, like your gut, younger people say Getta, like get something.

Next time Im in Ohio I know what Im going to search for!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by CincyDavid

Next time Im in Ohio I know what Im going to search for!

Goetta for breakfast then Skyline Chili for lunch...you won't be right for days.

https://www.cincyfavorites.com/glie...H887K6gIVzcDACh1g8QwoEAAYASAAEgLUIPD_BwE
And Geier's in Sarasota makes their own...https://geiers-sausage.com/

Last edited:
Back