Where Do You Buy Your Ammo?

Where to you purchase your ammo? LGS? Online? Do you use a particular search engine?

Originally Posted by Driz
I'm as green as they come. I make my own with recycled🤫 cases and lead cast rounds.

do my own also

www.sgammo.com

For the last three years, it's been very cheap, and Sam Gabbert, the owner of SG Ammo, has been saying it's cheap and encouraging people to buy.

Now, with supply chains interrupted (some factories have suspended operations) and ammo demand high, it's become expensive again, and many popular calibers and types are out of stock.

I want to do my own but I can't stop buying guns long enough to have the cash
happy2.gif

I used to get it @ walmart. Then they stopped carrying many kinds and made it nearly impossible to buy it there. I switched to Big5.

Buying ammo online is not really an option in Ca.

Last edited:
I shoot 90% rimfire. Outdoor Limited seems to have competitive pricing and is 7 miles away so I avoid shipping. I order and pay online then pick it up the next day.

The only ammo I buy is 22LR when it is under $20 a brick and has free shipping I load the rest. All my handguns have cast bullets as an option.

Last edited:
Had a hard time getting anything at the local gunshop last month- plus they are a pretty shady crew in there anyhow.

For range ammo, I got a couple boxes online from Bass ProShops.

some Sig roundnose. It was delayed a week but I borrowed a musty box of Federal from my buddy.

I also got two 50 boxes of Browing nIckel plated that I really didn't want. I don't have a gun belt and a revolver.

Originally Posted by Astro14
www.sgammo.com

For the last three years, it's been very cheap, and Sam Gabbert, the owner of SG Ammo, has been saying it's cheap and encouraging people to buy.

Now, with supply chains interrupted (some factories have suspended operations) and ammo demand high, it's become expensive again, and many popular calibers and types are out of stock.

I've been buying from Sam for years. He's been shouting buy it now for some time. The "I told you to do it when you can" email he sent out yesterday spelled out the new reality. If I needed more I still would buy from him though, reliable and priced the best he can.

I've used SG, TargetSports, Academy, and Midway successfully depending on what I needed and the deals they had going. Walmart when they have clearance but they stopped selling most ammo.

For a search engine, I like wikiarms.com
SG, Target Sports USA, Academy, Midway ... all good outfits, IMO.
Of late, Academy has had some good deals (pretty much pre-scare prices) in common calibers -- .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, etc -- five box limit on any one item, $5 flat rate shipping on ammo.
Good spot to keep an eye on lately: mrgunsngear Facebook page. He puts up fresh online deals offered by various outfits, although you often have to be quick these days. The stuff is moving fast lately. Still some quite reasonable prices out there if you keep a sharp eye out.
Naturally, I pick up the odd box of this and that at the LGSs, too.

I shoot couple of local matches (pistol and rifle) and I typically buy ammo a thousand or two at a time when it's on sale.

Normally I check gun-deals.com (price comparison site) to see who has the lowest price for what I want.

That said, when including shipping, SGA is very frequently the low cost leader. They have never screwed up an order or misrepresented a product I've bought.

I used to buy ammo at local gun shows. Eventually prices at the gun show got huger than the shipped price when you include parking and entry fees, besides the selection at the show besting more limited to what's online.

Gun shops are only useful if you want a box or two.

BSW

Bass Pro has a lot of ammo on sale and availability via shipping is better than any of the online gunshops I have visited. Also, they have free shipping over $50. I"m going to order a few boxes of Remington and Winchester in 40 S&W and 380 ACP (for my daughter) today.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Where to you purchase your ammo? LGS? Online? Do you use a particular search engine?

SGAMMO..........online.
Sometimes at ACADEMY SPORTS..........online.

Back