Did I made a mistake?

I bought an old house with an upgraded kitchen and appliances last month. There were 2 houses that I liked to choose from. One has gas powered appliances (counter top stove, water heater) and the other one has electric powered (counter top stove, water heater). My real estate agent told me to get the house with the gas appliances to save on cost versus electric, so I did. Now a month later, the gas company billed me for $80.00 deposit, service initiation fee of $42.53 and customer charge of $16.50. I haven't moved to this house yet but I am getting these ridiculous bills. So I called customer service and was told the customer charge of $16.50 will be billed every month to my account regardless whether I use the gas or not. I think I made a mistake in buying this house. I should have bought the all electric house.

Electric is outdated and gas is modern however gas does have a minimum usage fee. I don't think you made a mistake gas much better than electric faster cooking times and is probably cheaper to heat the gas hot water heater vs electric.

In the long run you will be extremely happy with gas. Very possible the electric company will charge close to the same to turn on the electric to a new customer. Over time gas will be much cheaper then electric in most locations. Enjoy the new house don't over think it.

You will be glad you have gas. We had a very bad ice storm in 2009 and no electric for 2weeks. The totally electric family households loved that hot shower water heater and the food from that gas kitchen stove. Furnace couldn't run without power for the blower, but kerosene heaters kept us all warm. A small gas generator kept the fridge and freezer going and some lights and TV. Gas stoves have instant heat and when you turn it off it goes cold quick.

Agree … on gas
Cooktop
Heating
Water heater
Dryer
Outdoor range
11k gen set
Fireplace
Electric … ? Double oven and AC

Last edited:
Gas is best. I'm still kicking myself for not going propane when I bought and remodeled my house years ago. If you have natural gas it's even more of a no brainer to have. Of course your local gs company could be horrid but I don't see it in those pretty standard charges.

We can calculate an answer here. Where does the OP live. What is the price of gas per cu ft. What is the electricity price per Kwhr. Is there a furnace. How many months will the furnace run. Monthly charges are a fact of life. Let's see the numbers.

Last edited:
You most likely would have paid some of those charges setting up an account with the electric company.

in most cases your monthly charge is factored in with your electric bill as well, In ontario its around $30 a month just to be connected.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
You will be glad you have gas. We had a very bad ice storm in 2009 and no electric for 2weeks. The totally electric family households loved that hot shower water heater and the food from that gas kitchen stove. Furnace couldn't run without power for the blower, but kerosene heaters kept us all warm. A small gas generator kept the fridge and freezer going and some lights and TV. Gas stoves have instant heat and when you turn it off it goes cold quick.

Many modern gas appliances will not run without electrical power.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by vwmaniaman

Many modern gas appliances will not run without electrical power.

They don't need much power. A little inverter generator can handle a lot of small stuff while sipping gas.

No, you didn't make a mistake.

In my neck of the woods, the gas company, electric company, city water department, sewer district and anyone else that provides me services has some sort of monthly "customer fee". Their way of being able to say that they kept the gas rate low while making it up on the fee-side.

Heck, even if I want the local paper delivered, there's a $3 "customer setup fee". And another fee if I want a paper bill.

With all due respect, forget whether you have gas or electric, or whatever small service bills are attached!

FAR AND AWAY its much, much more important what kind of deal you got on the house, its property tax load, and prospects for price appreciation in the future.
Where is it located? How is the local school district? How is the regional economy in general? These are far more important than gas or electric.

The house we moved from was all electric. We were there for 13 years and comparing our total utility bill including water (on septic) with others who had gas or propane we were comparable and sometimes less. 6" walls, lots of blow-in in the crawl space. We don't freeze in the winter or roast in the summer either. Probably depends on the house and other factors.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
With all due respect, forget whether you have gas or electric, or whatever small service bills are attached!

FAR AND AWAY its much, much more important what kind of deal you got on the house, its property tax load, and prospects for price appreciation in the future.
Where is it located? How is the local school district? How is the regional economy in general? These are far more important than gas or electric.

+1

I like the gas. Those aren't crazy bills.
Plus if you loose power you can run the house with a small generator.

Is this you first house? You ain't seen crazy bills yet!
smile.gif

An all electric house would be a mistake unless you live in a temperate climate. Home heating with electric is costly. Relax, you made the right choice. You'll notice the gas range will give off more heat to the kitchen than an electric range since they need to vent. But otherwise cooking with gas and having a gas water heater are great. For between $200 and $300 you can have a plumber install a small in-line recirculating pump (get a German one) at your water heater that will give you near instant hot water throughout your house. Natural gas is cheaper overall, even though you have a monthly minimum charge.

Back