M1 15w50 vs RT6 15w40 🤔

For a Champion 27 Ton Log Splitter with a 224cc engine which would you choose between these two? Mobil 1 15w50 or Rotella T6 15w40. Price it negligible. It has a 1/2qt oil capacity. 🛢

Thanks in advance! 🔧

Screenshot_20200417-101852.jpg

Both will work fine.
My experience with OPE is most failures aren't lube related, its fatigue/quality stuff like a broken exhaust valve or con rod.
You tear them down and the piston and bore looks like new, except there's an exh valve smashed into the piston crown.

What is your expected operating temperature range? Have you ever tried pull starting a small engine filled with 15w-40 at or below freezing? I have. It was real, and it was fun, but it wasn't real fun.

Based upon the supplied chart I would recommend RT6 5w-40 over the options you offered.

Agree that lubrication failure is rarely what does in small gas engines, assuming that it's kept topped up. Besides breakage, accelerated wear and failures are often due to storage and maintenance issues. Trash accumulates or critters build nests under the tin and plug the cooling vanes so it over heats. Gasahol oxidizes in the carb passages making engines run even leaner (hotter) than they come from the factory these days.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
What is your expected operating temperature range? Have you ever tried pull starting a small engine filled with 15w-40 at or below freezing? I have. It was real, and it was fun, but it wasn't real fun.

Based upon the supplied chart I would recommend RT6 5w-40 over the options you offered.

I should have specified for summer months. I agree with you though. For cold winter I'd use something lighter like GC 0w30 or a 5w40.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Given that your manual specifies neither of those, I'd pick the 15w-40...

+1 thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by dinofish
Out of curiosity, why not the 5W-30 synthetic as shown by the chart to tolerate summer weather?

Which one? VW 504/507 BMW LL-04 MB 229.51 with HTHS 3.5+
Or API/ILSAC one with HTHS in 2.8-3.0 range?

Or maybe conventional 5w30 since you are dinofish
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Both will work fine.
My experience with OPE is most failures aren't lube related, its fatigue/quality stuff like a broken exhaust valve or con rod.
You tear them down and the piston and bore looks like new, except there's an exh valve smashed into the piston crown.

^^^ 10,000% CORRECT! ^^^

Your Chinese engine will fail mechanically before you wear it out.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
I should have specified for summer months.

Just run the cheapest 15W-40 you can find that meets current API specs.
(or, if it is really cold, 5W-30)

EDIT: I do have to hand it to Champion branded OPE - -
for being Chinese made stuff, they are very close to Honda for Quality and Reliability.
Well, at least ...... close enough to satisfy most consumers.
I also like their tasteful yellow and black color schemes!

Last edited:
I have a intek206 5.5hp, with many hours on it.
I have used both oils in the past, and will in the future.
These small engines will run on anything you choose to use.
My small engines often get left over 0/5w-20, 15w-40, hdeo sae30/40, 20w-50, 25w-40, 10w-30/40, you name it.
Never a oil related failures here,
but I do make a point to have syn 0/5w-20 in the crankcase before it dips to or below freezing temps.
heck my tiller and bagged clean up mower have FS 5w-20dino and mmo.

-harvey

Not sure why 15w50 for a choice any 40 or 30 will do. Engine oil never big concern on this and many other units keeping hydro fluid clean keeping fuel and air filters clean. I imagine it's oem spark plug is a torch ditch that hing and hydro fluid first change after few hrs.
It seems to be a decent little unit if it only had a GX Honda on it it would be a sweet little unit.

For about $20 get a gallon of some T6 5W40 and you're good for like eight oil changes based on hours not by season changeovers. Try to run non-ethanol gas if you have it available so the carb doesn't get gummed up as well.

I have a 22 ton Huskee splitter. A few years ago, I lent it out and they wanted to be nice and change the oil for me. Unfortunately, they left the drain plug loose and the B&S engine lost it's oil while while they ran it that one last time.

Long story short, I installed a Predator 212cc 6.5HP engine which has worked p!ssah. I currently have some leftover PP 10W30, but it's time for a change and I'll be using Delo 15W30 or 40 for the warm season. Given your choices, I would pick the 15W40.

Do you know who makes Champion splitters? What engine is on it?

I'm envious of the list of parts. I have a Honda powered unit made by SpeeCo. Called about it missing a few things and they can't even find the s/n in their system... Good luck with any warranty claims right?

Manual says to use their hyd filter and 5/10w30 oil. Figured heck with it, I'm running 0w40.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by dinofish
Out of curiosity, why not the 5W-30 synthetic as shown by the chart to tolerate summer weather?

Which one? VW 504/507 BMW LL-04 MB 229.51 with HTHS 3.5+
Or API/ILSAC one with HTHS in 2.8-3.0 range?

Or maybe conventional 5w30 since you are dinofish
smile.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Do you know who makes Champion splitters? What engine is on it?

I'm envious of the list of parts. I have a Honda powered unit made by SpeeCo. Called about it missing a few things and they can't even find the s/n in their system... Good luck with any warranty claims right?

Manual says to use their hyd filter and 5/10w30 oil. Figured heck with it, I'm running 0w40.

The make their own engines and equipment in China. I think it gets engineered in the US.

Synthetic might be a good choice here, splitters often don't get their oil changed by hours but by time. I mean, I burned wood for many years and I never changed it on hours, but by seasons, start and finish or whatever. So if you do neglect to change in in a timely manner, the Syn might last a bit longer, although not a huge difference, but still I'd feel more comfortable with syn. A 5w40 sounds excellent for year round use, and never have to worry about protection.
If you decide not to go syn, then a good 10w30 or 10w40 would work well too. I just don't see the need for 15w50, even though it's a great oil, just not in my book for this app. 15w40 would be good only IF pull starting is not an issue in cold weather. I wouldn't be afraid to use 15w40 below 32F, but it might cause a starting issue. I never split wood much below 25F, so that slight bit below the 32F recommendation for 15w40 wouldn't worry me especiall on an air cooled engine.

Last edited:
Just picked it up today and assembled it. Gonna fill with fluids tomorrow and run it. Probably gonna use Valvoline Heavy Duty Maxlife 15w40 are the initial break-in.

Any truth to these two statements in the owner's manual? And here's the oil it came with too.

20200419_174402.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back