What filters are you guys using on 3.6 pentastar

I've done about 7 changes so far on my 2018 Ram 1500/pentastar 3.6..... I've used stock filter. I know I'm thinking like a cheapskate but there's not much to these canister filters. No metal casing, fancy springs or valves but at 10 bucks a pop seems illogical.
I noticed at Wallyworld today that supertech has a compatible one for 3 bucks. Fram xguard has a "synthetic" one rated for 20K for 11 bucks. I'm not going crazy yet with extended miles on changes so not worth it.
Interested to hear what others here use on their 3.6.
I dig the ease of these canister filters, easy access and less mess.
Another question, with filter removed that canister housing seems easier and less mess to add oil there instead of the usual fill hole. Is that a problem?

With the pentastar prone to cracking the oil filter housing, I would leverage the longest lasting oil filter. For a Fram Xtra Guard, it's still pretty comparable cost-wise at 10k mile intervals. But it's good to know it can go longer.

Originally Posted by Brian553
With the pentastar prone to cracking the oil filter housing, I would leverage the longest lasting oil filter. For a Fram Xtra Guard, it's still pretty comparable cost-wise at 10k mile intervals. But it's good to know it can go longer.

I was used to extended oil change intervals with my old Ram/Hemi. I averaged 10k and often went to 12ish. But with this newish truck I'll be conservative for now, keeping it at 5-6K. The oil change meter in the truck seems to want it to go 10K but playing it safe.
If the filter housing cracks how would the filter choice make a difference. By filter housing you're talking about this?:

[Linked Image from partsgeek.com]

Use a FRAM Ultra for multiple OCIs which will bring the cost down per filter. With the exception of Mahle all of the other filters I have tried have twisted even though I am torquing the cap exactly.

Originally Posted by stenerson
Originally Posted by Brian553

I was used to extended oil change intervals with my old Ram/Hemi. I averaged 10k and often went to 12ish. But with this newish truck I'll be conservative for now, keeping it at 5-6K. The oil change meter in the truck seems to want it to go 10K but playing it safe.
If the filter housing cracks how would the filter choice make a difference. By filter housing you're talking about this?:

[Linked Image from partsgeek.com]

Yes, he is.

That picture is only showing one seal. IIRC there are 4 seals and an O-ring. Some leaks have been attributed to cracking the plastic housing due to over torque on the filter cap. The adapter I changed on my '14 Pentastar was leaking around the seals. It is a high heat area between the cylinder banks and I am left to wonder if the heat is causing the plastic/seals to dry rot or change at the molecular level. I use the Mopar filter and once I used a K&N. For a 5-6K interval I would find what is cheapest. I bought 4 at a time online from a Chrysler dealer a few years back and they were about $5 each. They seem to go for about $8-9 nowadays. I would just find any name brand that fits and has the lowest cost.

Last edited:
Should be no big deal to fill in the filter housing if it's easier for you while doing a change.

I'm a big fan of the Fram Ultra, except when I cut them open, the mesh backing makes them hard to cut. The construction if very strong, so I have no problem running the Ultras for extended drains. Just make darn sure you get the correct oil filter, as I've said before here that if you get the filter for the wrong year Pentastar, you will block the oil flow and ruin your engine. The difference is the support neck on the newer style filter vs the no support neck on the older filters (I think the change was in 2014).

Thanks for the replies. Since I'm avoiding long drains I'll maybe use the supertech next time and see if it holds up. If I ever go to extended drains
I'll pay the extra buck for the extra guard 11665.

They may have fixed it now but previously almost all the housings eventually leak even if you take care to torque the cap properly. I have a 2014 Wrangler and just swapped it a few months back, not terribly difficult but it's not an easy job either. I have used mainly Napa Golds and torque the cap to 18 ft-lbs.

Oops. Guess I'm confusing the ultraguard with the extraguard. The ultra is 10.99 at walmart. They didn't have the extraguard.
The xtra guard can be ordered for store pickup 6.99.

Apparently Fram Ultra cartridges aren't very good. Just stick with the regular ones (or Mopar or Napa) especially if you aren't doing OCI's more than about 8k.

I've had about 10 Pentastars over the years and have always bought bulk Mopar or Mobil 1 filters on eBay at approx $4-5 per filter.

Originally Posted by harbor
I've had about 10 Pentastars over the years and have always bought bulk Mopar or Mobil 1 filters on eBay at approx $4-5 per filter.

Good idea.

If you are buying in bulk and are willing to pay for shipping you may want to give Rockauto a looksee. Don't forget the 5% discount if you go that direction. From about $2.50 to $10.50 for all the brands they sell.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2017,1500,3.6l+v6,3435446,engine,oil+filter,5340

Originally Posted by sloinker
If you are buying in bulk and are willing to pay for shipping you may want to give Rockauto a looksee. Don't forget the 5% discount if you go that direction. From about $2.50 to $10.50 for all the brands they sell.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2017,1500,3.6l+v6,3435446,engine,oil+filter,5340

Hmmm. Quite a variety there.

Just don't "torque" the cap down. It's plastic. 1st time just screw it down until the cap flange touches the base flange. STOP!!!! I put a paint mark on the cap and base I screw it down to that mark. The O-ring holds the cap on as it seals it.
I use the Mopar filter only now as I don't go over 3000 miles / 4 months because of mainly short trips. I buy'em off of Ebay.

I ran a few Ultras in my 2018 JL Pentastar and they were fine. Not sure what people think the problem with them is. I tore one apart and it was SUPER strong. They are extremely well made and I've not seen a filter with better filtering efficiency.

I'm now running M1 filters. I bought about 12 or 13 of them on clearance at Walmart for 4 bucks each. I'm changing oil next week, so the M1 will have 8k miles on it. The OLM is down to 4%., so it won't let you go much past 8k. For those curious, I have been running M1 AP 0w20.

Next fill will be another M1 and some Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 that I got for free after rebate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
Just don't "torque" the cap down. It's plastic. 1st time just screw it down until the cap flange touches the base flange. STOP!!!! I put a paint mark on the cap and base I screw it down to that mark. The O-ring holds the cap on as it seals it.
I use the Mopar filter only now as I don't go over 3000 miles / 4 months because of mainly short trips. I buy'em off of Ebay.

Words of wisdom! People crack their oil filter housings by torquing them, just don't do it. The seal has everything to do with the o-ring and nothing to do with cap contact with the housing.

Back