Will this fluid grenade my transmission?

Hi Guys,

I was going to do a drain and fill on my 1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R. I bought 4 quarts of Supertech 75w-90. It is a GL-5. My transmission is swapped out of a 1993 and requires a GL-4 at 80w-90. Are GL fluids backward compatible like SAE oils? Will this destroy my synchros? This fluid is compatible with the vLSD in my trans.

Thanks guys.

5MT with an already blown 5th gear, just trying to squeeze as much life out of it as possible.

Last edited:
Understand but some Pennzoil synchromesh or Valvoline synchromesh are GL-4's and would shift much better.

my notoriously poor shifting O2J 5 speed in an 01 jetta shifted a lot better with Redlines MT 90, in fact i could barely get it in 5 th gear. it was better after changing + it got even better after a couple of thou which puzzles me! its GL4 by the by

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking to do this drain and fill tonight.

This lucas stuff I got seems to be GL4 and MT1 spec as well as the Delo you recommended?

Originally Posted by benjy
my notoriously poor shifting O2J 5 speed in an 01 jetta shifted a lot better with Redlines MT 90, in fact i could barely get it in 5 th gear. it was better after changing + it got even better after a couple of thou which puzzles me! its GL4 by the by

At work I hear nothing but good things about REDLINE Products... also Liqui Moly I hear people rav about it with VW and BMW.. I have customers whom only use Liqui Moly and or REDLINE Products.... Starting with Watter Watter...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David1
At work I hear nothing but good things about REDLINE Products... also Liqui Moly I hear people rav about it with VW and BMW.. I have customers whom only use Liqui Moly and or REDLINE Products.... Starting with Watter Watter...

If you hear "rav" reviews of "Watter Watter" then I'd discount anything else they say after that. A completely useless product for a street car.

Back