Oil for a 1979 Ford Pinto?

Hi everyone. I've read some threads here before, and now have joined.
smile.gif

I recently acquired a 1979 Ford Pinto with the 2.3 engine (4 speed manual). Miles are unknown (5 digit odometer, no idea if it's flipped over).

What oil should I use? Is an oil high in ZDDP needed?

Thanks.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

You can probably use any oil of the correct viscosity with no problem. I'd probably use Walmart brand HM or whatever brand is on sale
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

You can probably use any oil of the correct viscosity with no problem. I'd probably use Walmart brand HM or whatever brand is on sale
smile.gif

Thanks
smile.gif

No need for any special oil in the 2.3L. FWIW, I have Supertech 10W40 in my '75 Bronco right now. Most of my Jeep powered toys are running Pennzoil Platinum or QS syns in 5 and 10W30. No extra ZDDP needed for stock engines.

If possible, I'd try and use what was being used in it. Was it running regularly when you got it?

My uncle gave me a 72 Pinto as my first car. When I got my first real job, I traded it off to a neighbor at 270K miles and he was driving it years later. I'm pretty sure it was never rebuilt and the only thing I knew that was done on the engine was valve guide seals to try to reduce the smoke a bit in the mornings.

I would put any SN rated 10w30 in it with confidence as it's much better than the oil it came with.

You'll be fine just using an appropriate oil for the climate, probably 10w-30. If you want to be super careful, you could run an HDEO in that grade like Rotella.

Originally Posted by Gebo
If possible, I'd try and use what was being used in it. Was it running regularly when you got it?

The person I got it from has no idea what was in it. Basically got it from someone else, and it ended up sitting for a few years. I was able to drive it home.

Like several commenters have posted, in CA I'd use a 10w-30 weight in a high mileage synthetic blend. I don't see a benefit or need of full synthetic. And buy a fire extinguisher for that thing!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
You'll be fine just using an appropriate oil for the climate, probably 10w-30. If you want to be super careful, you could run an HDEO in that grade like Rotella.

This sounds like a good suggestion here. A 10w30 would be my choice.

Any idea if it is burning or leaking oil?

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Valvoline VR1 10W-30, affordable, high ZDDP, can't go wrong with that.

Ah yeah, an $8 a quart racing oil for a 1979 Ford Pinto. Right.

Why not Red LIne at $12 a quart? Wouldn't that be more better?

I mean, you couldn't go wrong with that either.

Pintos had problems when struck from the rear, and that is not a rare type of accident. But that may be true for only the earlier model years. And there were allegations at the time that there was a simple fix that Ford had simply chosen not to apply.

All that would be worth looking into. Were they safer by 1979, and if there is a simple fix, could it be retroactively applied to your new car.

And welcome to BITOG by the way.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Come on guys,don't be so thrifty! At least use that $20 a quart RP XPR stuff
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn

lol.gif

At least Rotella is a bit cheaper, the Synblend is $17.00 for a gallon on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Shell-ROTELL...lla+10w-30&qid=1587144780&sr=8-1

Dont laugh ...the $100 72 pinto i got had that little 2.3 which was quite a screemin little motor. The dune buggy guys loved em as they were very durable. Agree 10w30

LOL a Pinto in Commiefornia.... now that has to be a sight. I bet the tree huggers out there despise you!

That 2300 is a flat tappet I believe, I don't think they had the rollers in '79. I'd definitely use something with extra dosage of ZDDP and/or moly.

Back