Super tech 0w20 12Q bulk oil bag

Dads new to him 11 edge SEL is ready for an oil change. Think he has around 127 or 129k on it. When he bought it I used bulk 5w20 motorcraft and a motorcraft filter. He's gone 5K on it. I set the OLM to 50% so it would go off in 5K. I'm laid off Rn at Ford and he's on short term disability cause his heart surgery. Money is tight for them so I went to Walmart to get the oil for his oil change. Grabbed a 5Q jug of super tech and an extra quart and a ST filter. Came to like a lil under $25. Walking out the aisle I saw the white box of ST oil that said 12Q for $34 and it the full synthetic ST. Grabbed the box and put the oil jugs back. Plan on using it in my dads edge tomorrow and got 6Q left over. That's about $2.83 a quart for full synthetic. Can't beat that.

If you're near a Menard's they also sell the same Warren oil in Individual quarts under Menard's FVP brand, at my local Menards the FVP single quarts go for $3.00.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
If you're near a Menard's they also sell the same Warren oil in Individual quarts under Menard's FVP brand, at my local Menards the FVP single quarts go for $3.00.

I do, I don't go there. This is even cheaper.

Originally Posted by gabriel9766
Originally Posted by blufeb95

I do, I don't go there. This is even cheaper.

Sometimes convenience and ease of using the smaller jugs beat saving 17 cents per quart. Pouring from a 12 quart box of liquid sounds awkward / PITA.

I'm with 777, looks like it would be heavy and awkward. I'm just imaging holding up a 12 qt case of oil while draining out 1/2 of it through a funnel. IDK?

Last edited:
Costco is now selling a version similar to Supertech some say it is the same. It sells 2 5qt jusgd for $25 which is exactly 2.50 a qt. Must be a Costco member though so if your not then not worth the membership to get it. My membership also pays back 2% of what I buy which isn't much on $25. Equals about another nickel a qt back later.

I've seen these 12qt boxes at Walmart, but didn't see any way to measure how much you drain from the box??

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'm with 777, looks like it would be heavy and awkward. I'm just imaging holding up a 12 qt case of oil while draining out 1/2 of it through a funnel. IDK?

Dunno. At my work where we get 6 gallon boxes of Castrol Pro 0w20 for VW and 0w40 for euro cars we have clear 8quart jugs with a nice flexible spout. I use my workbench to set box on and pour exact amount I need. Easy peasy

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Gebo

Dunno. At my work where we get 6 gallon boxes of Castrol Pro 0w20 for VW and 0w40 for euro cars we have clear 8quart jugs with a nice flexible spout. I use my workbench to set box on and pour exact amount I need. Easy peasy

Stude, please post a pic of your container. I assume it is a graduated oil can.

I believe these bag/box oil containers are designed to be dispensed into another container then poured into the engine. Pretty foolish to try and hold the thing over your engine and dispense it.

I also remember seeing an image of one of these showing a nice spout. but that could also have been an image of the Havoline box.

Jeffkeyrk: I'm not at work. This is it to be honest. We have 5 of them at work.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JoelB
I believe these bag/box oil containers are designed to be dispensed into another container then poured into the engine. Pretty foolish to try and hold the thing over your engine and dispense it.

I also remember seeing an image of one of these showing a nice spout. but that could also have been an image of the Havoline box.

Exactly.
01.gif

That's kind of the rub for the big 12QT bags (Mobil 1 and ST). You have to use something else to pour the bag into so you can measure. extra step in the oil pouring process for not much savings.

With rebate you can get 5Qt jugs for $10 - $12 regularly ($2.40/qt) and have a container you can pour directly into your car. Just take a little preplanning and storing a few jugs in the garage.

You don't need to be ridiculous with a huge stash but when a good deal shows up, get about 3-4 OCIs worth and let them sit. Its fun to pour oil into your car and say to yourself "I got this just for free after clearance sale and rebate :)"....2 years ago.

Yes Havoline 6 quart boxes. And you just need to use a funnel. Pouring it into another container and pouring it from that seems cumbersome, but to each his own. Just poured this into my Mercedes with a funnel and didn't spill a drop. (Not responsible if heads explode after reading this post.)

Originally Posted by atikovi

Yes Havoline 6 quart boxes. And you just need to use a funnel. Pouring it into another container and pouring it from that seems cumbersome, but to each his own. Just poured this into my Mercedes with a funnel and didn't spill a drop. (Not responsible if heads explode after reading this post.)

I don't think anybody is surprised that you did what it seemed quite obvious you were going to do despite the framing of it as a legitimate query.

Its not him its everyone else. You are not telling him what he wants to hear, and he will argue until you do, and if you don't - he will do what he wanted to do in the first place.

This kind of person is called ans "Ask-hole"

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Its not him its everyone else. You are not telling him what he wants to hear, and he will argue until you do, and if you don't - he will do what he wanted to do in the first place.

This kind of person is called ans "Ask-hole"

Agree 100%
01.gif

Back