'19 Edge w/2.0EB + 8F35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a nice used 2019 Edge Titanium AWD with the 301A package (vista sunroof, bi-LED headlights, B&O sound system, heated/cooled seats, etc.).

Comes with a 2.0T Ecoboost and an 8F35 transmission.

From my research on here, the 2.0T isn't excessively hard on oil considering it's a turbo DI engine. Does anyone know if the 8F35 has easy to get to drain and fill plugs? I also have found that the PTU on these have a drain plug!

They seem like nice vehicles, drove my MIL's '18 with the 3.5. They handle nice.

Originally Posted by redhat
Looking at a nice used 2019 Edge Titanium AWD with the 301A package (vista sunroof, bi-LED headlights, B&O sound system, heated/cooled seats, etc.).

Comes with a 2.0T Ecoboost and an 8F35 transmission.

From my research on here, the 2.0T isn't excessively hard on oil considering it's a turbo DI engine. Does anyone know if the 8F35 has easy to get to drain and fill plugs? I also have found that the PTU on these have a drain plug!

They seem like nice vehicles, drove my MIL's '18 with the 3.5. They handle nice.

I think you mean 6F35 as the transmission. We have that in our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. It works fine and the best part is it's super easy to do a drain and fill, easier than the oil and filter change. It has a drain plug on the transmission and it filled through the vent in the engine compartment by the air filter housing. I change it "cold". That way whatever I drain out I put the same amount of new fluid back in. In my case it's been 4 quarts every time. You're lucky like us with having a drain plug on the PTU
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Bought a 19 edge just like yours in November. Love it so far.The 2.0 is a good overall motor. Had one for7.5 yrs in a thirteen escape no issues.

And yes it does come with the new 8f35 transmission (new eight speed tranny). I like it . the drain plugs are great for the ptu, make sure you
change the fluid often. There is only half a quart of gear oil in it.

The 2.0L may be more robust than the 1.5L, but just a heads up that my '19 company Escape SE needed a new long block at 18K miles.
I manage a building automation service dept in the Boston area and more than half my team have had new 1.5L engines installed in their Escapes.

Again, not exactly the 2.0L in the Edge, but do your homework! I will also mention however, that after my dealer replaced the engine, it has been trouble-free for the last 10K miles. The telltale sign of an issue in my group has been coolant loss.

Also want to add that my last company car, a '16 Fusion AWD with the 2.0L had zero issues it's entire 120K time in my possession.

Great thanks for the info, if all works out I think we will get this.

No problem. Off topic, but how's that 2.7L in your F150 been?

My '12 only has 70K miles on it, but we were window shopping and found a few '19 leftover F150's (due to the virus maybe?) which have that engine. The discounts were huge!
I haven't test driven, but the specs on the block and video's I've seen were very good (The Fast Lane Truck testing it up the Ike Gauntlet in the Rockies).

Originally Posted by Zaedock
No problem. Off topic, but how's that 2.7L in your F150 been?

My '12 only has 70K miles on it, but we were window shopping and found a few '19 leftover F150's (due to the virus maybe?) which have that engine. The discounts were huge!
I haven't test driven, but the specs on the block and video's I've seen were very good (The Fast Lane Truck testing it up the Ike Gauntlet in the Rockies).

The 2.7 has been a phenomenal engine. Leased it new, dropped the factory fill at 1,500mi, refilled with M1EP 5W-30, changed it again at 5k, again at 10k and had the dealer change it at 15k (have 3 free oil changes). Throughout this whole time, it has not burned a drop of oil and gets pretty good mileage for a truck. 22-24 mpg at Thruway speeds in the summer. I was gentle on it until about 7k miles. I don't abuse it, but it is no stranger to getting opened up and running through the gears. The 10-speed auto takes a little getting used to. It shifts strange but once you learn it, you'll understand what it's trying to accomplish. It is a transmission that does not like being persuaded until warm. Like any vehicle, take it easy until it's up to operating temp and then unleash it. Overall I would say that this powertrain gives no inclination that it is underpowered or will leave you stranded.

The 2.7, take off, get into it and about a half of a second later you'll feel the boost come on and it'll just pump through gears and get the attention of county mounties if you pass them. Plenty of power in this little engine. If you do get one, not sure if you've read this, but if you change your own oil/check the level -- give it 15 minutes after shutting the engine off to get an accurate reading. I guess the heads keep a lot of oil up there and it takes time to drain down. Early 2.7 owners would overfill then doing an OC. Another nice thing about the 2.7 is that it is DI + port injection. So I'd assume valves stay clean.

Just love the engine

Any other questions let me know.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you!

I looked up the towing specs and was surprised to see only a 7600 max tow for an ex-cab w/ 3.55 ratio. I would definitely be close to, if not at max, hauling my Jeep to the trail on my 18' trailer. The ATV's or my 26' camper would be fine.

I wonder why the 2.7T, with the same torque and drivetrain as the 5.0L has nearly a 2K lb towing reduction? For that matter, it's 400 lbs less than my 2003 F150 FX4 with the 5.4 and 3.55 axles. Maybe Ford is playing a numbers game to keep the other engine choices on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back