Finally building a mini-system

So, the speakers in the stereo system we use in the shop are all but shot so I took the opportunity to throw together a mini Hi-Fi system that I'm going to set up on my tool box. The entire setup cost me less than $150, everything new except the speakers. If I decide it's too nice for a shop system, I'll move it home and find a use for it here.

Here's what the system is comprised of:

Speakers - Polk RT25i Bookshelf's found on FB Marketplace in perfect working order for $35. The cab's are a little scratched, but these are amazing speakers for the price.

Stereophile.com Polk RT25i Review

Subwoofer - Sony SA-WMS230. I found this a few years ago for $7.99 at GW. I've been using it paired with a Vizio 3.0 channel soundbar in my bedroom, but that system was recently upgraded. It's actually a really decent little sub: it's a 6.75" woofer powered by 50 watts, in what Sony calls a "Super Acoustically Loaded" enclosure.

Amplifier - I knew I wanted to run a 2.1 system, and wanted to use a mini-amplifier to run the thing, but finding an amp with a sub out was tricky! I ended up finding this little guy:

Suca Audio 2 channel Mini Amplifier

I paid just over $70 with a 5% off coupon. It has everything I was looking for: Bluetooth, tone controls, AND a sub out to boot!

Interconnects-

AmazonBasics Subwoofer Cable

Sewell 12AWG Speaker Wire with Banana Plugs

You'll be rocking in no time.
thumbsup2.gif

Great garage setup.

I am planning to use an old home theater receiver in my garage setup so that it can do proper bass management and not just output full frequency range to the mains. Alas, it takes up a lot more space than that little mini amp.

Then again, it doesn't really matter since i will not be doing any critical listening in the garage.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Great garage setup.

I am planning to use an old home theater receiver in my garage setup so that it can do proper bass management and not just output full frequency range to the mains. Alas, it takes up a lot more space than that little mini amp.

Then again, it doesn't really matter since i will not be doing any critical listening in the garage.

I won't be doing any critical listening, either, however I've heard that the Polk's will play down to 50Hz so I'm not too worried about bass management. I considered using the Yamaha RX-V379 I just picked up as part of a 5.1 setup (the bedroom system I mentioned in the OP), but I decided to leave it at home and buy the little guy. Space was a concern, as well.

Was never an audiophile although in my post-college days long ago put together an OK system. Turntable accuracy and cartridges were of great importance back then! Have there been any notable advances in the audio world like new design speakers or infinitely adjustable levels or whatever?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Have there been any notable advances in the audio world like new design speakers or infinitely adjustable levels or whatever?

Probably the biggest thing when it comes to home audio in the past 10-15 years was the addition of auto room correction functionality (Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC, etc.) to home theater receivers. The receiver uses an external mic to analyze in-room frequency response and apply suitable EQ to eliminate peaks and dips, helping achieve more neutral sound, as well as better integrate your main speakers with a powered sub(s). Alas, for pure 2-channel audio, this may be less of a concern.

Still, I would say quality speakers are the cornerstone of a good stereo system. Room treatment is next, alas, that's usually not going to be high on your priority list for a garage/shop setup.
smile.gif

As for speaker design itself, I'm not sure there has been anything earth shattering introduced in recent years. However, there is now a wide variety of quality powered speakers available which may make sense for those looking for simplicity and not having to bother with standalone amps/receivers. Many of these powered speakers also allow you to feed them audio in digital form directly from a computer soundcard/DAC, or from your phone via BT, for example. That last one, of course, is more about convenience than about sound quality.

I was happy with just my little Oontz BT speaker in my basement, then an Amazon Echo...until I repurposed two proper bookshelf speakers and an 8" sub. What a difference! I love jamming out while working on something or working out.

It really doesn't take much to make a huge difference.

It also doesn't take long to get carried away and want something way more expensive than what's good enough. Because I've got a nice system in my basement I've compromised to just having the Echo in my garage.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Looks awesome.
I would think that sub is too small for a large open area but if you already have it why not.

Oh, I'm sure it is. It doesn't have to really FILL the shop with sound, I'll be mostly working in my bay which is right next to my box. Weekends are when it'll get turned up a bit, but it doesn't have to be a dance club.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by Brybo86
Looks awesome.
I would think that sub is too small for a large open area but if you already have it why not.

Oh, I'm sure it is. It doesn't have to really FILL the shop with sound, I'll be mostly working in my bay which is right next to my box. Weekends are when it'll get turned up a bit, but it doesn't have to be a dance club.

I mostly listen to classic rock while working in the basement and garage. I keep the little 8" sub cross-over at 80Hz and maxed-out on volume and it sounds great.

I'm sure yours will do just fine for what you need it for.

Just to update: everything came in and I got it all hooked up. I could NOT be happier. Every single person that's heard it says it sounds amazing, and can't believe the amount of bass coming from such a small system. I have the speakers on my toolbox, and the sub on the ground just to the left. Level on the sub is set about 1/3, bass control for the Polk's is just past mid-way, and treble is about 75%. I've been running the aux input from my work laptop to the amp, using Spotify, and it will play to volumes MUCH more than acceptable in a work environment, nonetheless a huge open shop.

I have the laptop volume set at 75% and the amp volume at 25-30% and find myself having to bump it down a notch or two depending on the song being played. I really can't believe something so inexpensive can blow the doors off something that could easily cost 5x as much!

I couldn't work in my garage and patio without some tunes, my current setup is a Sherwood 2 ch receiver I picked up open box at Best Buy and 2 JBL Studio Series S26 bookshelf speakers. Sub is an old Kenwood 12" sitting under the workbench. Play CDs on an old Panasonic Bluray player. No complaints from the neighbors yet but need to update the receiver to get Spotify and SiriusXm, all old equipment. ;)

I couldn't work in my garage and patio without some tunes, my current setup is a Sherwood 2 ch receiver I picked up open box at Best Buy and 2 JBL Studio Series S26 bookshelf speakers. Sub is an old Kenwood 12" sitting under the workbench. Play CDs on an old Panasonic Bluray player. No complaints from the neighbors yet but need to update the receiver to get Spotify and SiriusXm, all old equipment. ;)
You can buy a small Blutooth adapter that plugs into a stereo input on your Sherwood.

I used it to get Bluetooth to my circa 1998 Sony HT receiver in my beach house. I didn't need it after I got a new 65" Roku TV because the Pandora and Spotify apps are on the Roku platform. Sounded great. I've since replaced the Sony with a much newer Pioneer VSX-820K. $80 FBMP.

Last edited:
Back