Fram Tough Guard phased out?

Of 3 W*M's that I frequent, 1 doesn't carry any part# of ULTRA anymore.
I wonder if your store is doing the same with the TG's.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Was in Walmart and they don't even have a shelf spot for Tough Guards anymore.

Ill be going to a WM Superstore in Epping, NH. this weekend; Ill take a look to see what;s going on in the oil section.

I see a lot of shelf and display changes being done at or local store - but mainly in the Tech and Electronics area.

Fram offerings vary among Walmarts in my area too. The nearest store has all three versions, but the bigger supercenter has no Ultras. That was good for me...scored an XG8765 for $3 on clearance during the phase out period!

I've been running the TG's on my wife's Optima SXL. I had stocked up, so I haven't noticed. I just looked online at Walmart and the TG9688 filter for her car is $18.68 /ea !!
Holy smokes!

Originally Posted by diyjake
Wonder why Walmart is phasing out the Ultra's. They are great filters and seem to sell well.

I'm not sure they are.
But if they are, it's probably because so much dishonest purchasers remove the Ultra from the outer box and swap it with a Fram Extra Guard box and that means big $$$ savings

If that occurs enough times, the product gets discontinued.

Given the choice,would you run a Wix.M1,or Honda oem? I'm not about to pay $10 for an Ultra. I also noticed there were no orange cans of deliciousness either to fit in my car.

Given the choice,would you run a Wix.M1,or Honda oem? I'm not about to pay $10 for an Ultra. I also noticed there were no orange cans of deliciousness either to fit in my car.

This month, my choice would be Napa Platinum (Wix XP) since it's on sale for $5.99
smile.gif

Otherwise, I'd use the PH7317 since it is an A02

Honda OEM is a Blue Can of Deliciousness. M1 have had some recent issues since Purolator started to make them (ADBV having SharkBite marks on them). Wix are good filters but can be pricy.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

This month, my choice would be Napa Platinum (Wix XP) since it's on sale for $5.99
smile.gif

Otherwise, I'd use the PH7317 since it is an A02

+1

I recall seeing the new packaging style for tough guard somewhere, I think on this site. The theft problem is real though some of the reviews even say I opened the box and its supertech lol. Fram should seal the box, at least on the ultras.

Last edited:
If a grocery store no longer has a certain brand on the shelf anymore, does it mean it's no longer made? Or are you just talking about certain Walmarts?

Originally Posted by haggler
I recall seeing the new packaging style for tough guard somewhere, I think on this site. The theft problem is real though some of the reviews even say I opened the box and its supertech lol. Fram should seal the box, at least on the ultras.

FRAM uses a security decal on the Ultras.

But it's a decal. And I bet 99.9999% of cashiers and 100% self-checkouts have no idea.

I liked waaaaaaay back when FRAM sold the Ultra in "Pringle / Tennis Ball Can" pop-top cannisters. I imagine it was ousted for a cost-save!

Last edited:

Honda OEM would probably be my first choice since I can find deals on packs of 4 or 6 on Ebay and they come out to less than $6 a filter. Wix from either Napa or online would be second, and M1 filters are just way over priced in my opinion.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
Originally Posted by haggler

FRAM uses a security decal on the Ultras.

But it's a decal. And I bet 99.9999% of cashiers and 100% self-checkouts have no idea.

I liked waaaaaaay back when FRAM sold the Ultra in "Pringle / Tennis Ball Can" pop-top cannisters. I imagine it was ousted for a cost-save!

And next I think the whole box was shrink wrapped,right?

Since WM wants to make us check our own stuff out, no one to check the seal on the pack. Nothing to prevent theft except the cameras all over the store.

Rod

"I'm not sure they are.
But if they are, it's probably because so much dishonest purchasers remove the Ultra from the outer box and swap it with a Fram Extra Guard box and that means big $$$ savings

If that occurs enough times, the product gets discontinued
."

Is that an assumption or an actually stated policy? As has been noted at this thread, the Fram Ultra oil filters sold at Walmart have a tight tape on the box, which is probably done to discourage what you note. In order to break the tape, the box will have a noticeable rip in it.

At last notice, Fram air filters at Walmart don't have the tape. Hence, I've seen Fram non-Ultra air filters in the Ultra air filter box.

Last edited:
Back