2012-2017 Hyundai Accent--Good Car?

I test drove a new Accent hatchback in 2014 when shopping to replace my Mazda. Good any many ways, but during the (very short) test drive, I was disappointed in its outward visibility to the rear, manual shifter, and cargo space. Bought the 3½-year-old Prius instead, for $2000 more.

My mother had a 2014 Accent for about 3 years. Nothing really ever went wrong with it. But it just felt like a cheap car.

She replaced it with a Corolla and is much happier.
When Momma's happy, everybody's happy...

I have a particular fondness for subcompact hatchbacks. They're not my favorite segment of vehicle but somewhere in my top 3.

I do have my favorite to drive which may not be the most reliable in the segment but, I like these little hatches just the same.

When KIA-Hyundai first came to sell in the USA 15-20 years ago, their cars were "cheap" in all aspects. KIA-Hyundai's rise in quality has been consistent and steady. They make great quality vehicles now.

Probably for the first 100K. IMHO, they are not designed for a "long term" relationship.

Last edited:
MILES ON DAUGHTER'S RIO--Probably a bit over 65k. She doesn't live with me. I also gave her EX Rio which was totaled at maybe 120k. That had a lot more stuff on it i.e. UVO and was a much nicer car. That probably had 120k on it. No problem with either. Biggest problem with low end HyunKias is that they're bought by people that don't maintain them.

Last edited:
if you are considering the sedan, first check out the elantra, price is almost the same.

get more for your $$$

When I was shopping to replace the 2010 accent. the 2020 accent was 14.8k stripped
I ended up with a loaded "value edition" 2020 elantra for 15.2k IIRC. after additional incentives the elantra had.

has emergency braking, lane keep assist, sunroof, heated seats, carplay/android auto, alloy wheels. 4 wheel disc brakes.
and a bunch more stuff.

now in hatchbacks the elantra hatchback is overpriced and the accent hatchback value is better. vs shopping the 2 sedans.

.. Some models of the elantra are available with a very reliable port injected(not gdi) atkinson cycle 2.0,

Originally Posted by csandste
MILES ON DAUGHTER'S RIO--Probably a bit over 65k. She doesn't live with me. I also gave her EX Rio which was totaled at maybe 120k. That had a lot more stuff on it i.e. UVO and was a much nicer car. That probably had 120k on it. No problem with either. Biggest problem with low end HyunKias is that they're bought by people that don't maintain them.

Throw away cars are only throw away if the owner treats them as such, Csandste. But, largest number of complaints reflected below are from engine problems.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Accent/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Elantra/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/

More:
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Accent.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste

That's excellent news. And yes, people consider them disposable cars.

I am considering the hatch and for size reasons (parking) I wanted the smaller car.

Originally Posted by Rand
if you are considering the sedan, first check out the elantra, price is almost the same.

get more for your $$$

When I was shopping to replace the 2010 accent. the 2020 accent was 14.8k stripped
I ended up with a loaded "value edition" 2020 elantra for 15.2k IIRC. after additional incentives the elantra had.

has emergency braking, lane keep assist, sunroof, heated seats, carplay/android auto, alloy wheels. 4 wheel disc brakes.
and a bunch more stuff.

now in hatchbacks the elantra hatchback is overpriced and the accent hatchback value is better. vs shopping the 2 sedans.

.. Some models of the elantra are available with a very reliable port injected(not gdi) atkinson cycle 2.0,

I've had no issues with my '17 Rio. It has been easy to do maintenance on consumables. I have moved it to being my wife's city driver, but prior it was purely my commuter, around 35kmi a year.

Originally Posted by Mainia
1.6 GDI non-turbo or with a turbo, is one of Hyundai's most reliable motors.

Not a big sample size, but we have lost 2 in the last year at work, both 2018s with around 30k on them, dealer maintained and they grenaded on us. These were 1.6 non turbo in Tucsons. We only have 2, but they both did it. Hyundai was great about the warranty but we won't be buying any more.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Originally Posted by Mainia
1.6 GDI non-turbo or with a turbo, is one of Hyundai's most reliable motors.

Not a big sample size, but we have lost 2 in the last year at work, both 2018s with around 30k on them, dealer maintained and they grenaded on us. These were 1.6 non turbo in Tucsons. We only have 2, but they both did it. Hyundai was great about the warranty but we won't be buying any more.

What was the mode of failure? Are the transmission stout, at least?

Back