Machine Oil

CCI

Just got an old 7" metalworking shaper going. Specified lubricant is machine oil.

What is the difference between machine oil and motor oil?

Is there a commonly available substitute for machine oil?

I bought a bottle of this stuff from the grocery store when my wife demanded her bottle of singer sewing machine oil back (the same stuff).

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L1004-Light-Machine/dp/B000FW62YQ?th=1

Machine oil is thinner and "usually" for consumer applications, does not have as demanding a lubrication job. In some uses people substitute mineral oil. In some uses you could get away with using light motor oil. I'm sure there's some fancy high tech version today, but the main thing is to use something instead of friction. If the selection is critical, the equipment should stipulate that.

Last edited:
Motor oil has several functions that machine oil does not, mainly resistance to high temperatures, pumpability at very low temperatures, suspension of particulate matter, neutralization of acids and other combustion by-products, anti-varnish and anti-sludge.
We use light motor oil in our document shredder and it works fine. Like Dave9 said, if the machine lubricant requirement is highly specific, it would say so. Otherwise any high quality light lubricating oil will be fine.

I was told that 3 in One oil and electric motor oil (Comes in a bottle w/ retractable application tube are both just straight 10 W oil. No additives. Are they the same as "machine oil?

Machine oil has no detergents, supposedly. As opposed to engine oil, which certainly does.
I think the idea is lubrication without collecting any dirt.

Back