Old 5hp Briggs fix/improvement - Magnetron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a lot of problems the last year with my old (70s) Troy-Bilt tiller. Hard starting and stalling when hot. A lot of time wasted on carburetor rebuilds and cleaning, it appears. Installed the pointless ignition system (Magnetron) which is easy and 25 bucks and it runs like it did 30 years ago. I guess my coil was going bad.

I wouldn't consider the carb rebuild and cleaning a waste of time, it probably benefited from that and would've been needed eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dinofish
Which oil do you use?

It's been a 40 year trip.
Back in the early years Valvoline 20W50 Racing Oil.
Then Mobil 1 15W50.
Then the BITOG legend Castrol green 0W30 until my hoard was depleted.
Lately it's been Mobil 1 0W40.

All these are likely far too good for a Briggs flathead, but they represent what I was using in cars at the time.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I've done this upgrade on a few older Briggs engines, makes them a lot more reliable.

I don't know why everyone is against points/condenser. I never had an issue with them. From old farm tractors to small engines, If you store the engine on its compression stroke when the points are closed you likely won't have any issues with them..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener

I don't know why everyone is against points/condenser. I never had an issue with them. From old farm tractors to small engines, If you store the engine on its compression stroke when the points are closed you likely won't have any issues with them..

Same for me. Never had any issues with points, but installing/adjusting them requires a little more time than the plug-n-play electronic module. Any extra work or time is generally frowned on in the modern era.

Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by Lubener

Same for me. Never had any issues with points, but installing/adjusting them requires a little more time than the plug-n-play electronic module. Any extra work or time is generally frowned on in the modern era.

Yes, work is considered worse than the corona virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back