Honda K24 owners, get in here

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
I've maintained this CR-V since new and owned it for the past year or so. Haven't driven it much in a long time but noticed this clattering noise today. Honestly can't remember if it sounded like this before or not, but it stood out to me for some reason. Poked around with the stethoscope and it seems to be coming from the top end.

I know these are not the quietest engines out there and some would consider moderate top end noise normal with them.

Valves were adjusted on schedule and everything looked good under the valve cover. It's at 169k now.

What says BITOG? It isn't very loud with the hood closed, or when sitting in the car with the windows up. Can't hear it while driving.

I'll be out back changing the oil with RGT 5W-30 and rotating the tires, messing around with other stuff for a while.

Thanks all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZY-63lD3CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEeFxGr_twE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1himUZU2c

Does it come out louder with the oil cap off?

If it's from the valvetrain first thing to check would be valve adjustment. Just do it again.

I have a 2006 Accord with the 2.4 and if I'm assuming your videos accurately reflect the level of sound, mine sounds nothing remotely like that.

Mine is WAY quieter with respect to he tapping.

From listening to the videos, it sounds completely normal to me. What oil and filter are you using?

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
OP, what year is your CR-V, how many miles are on it now, were the valves ever adjusted before, and if so at what mileage?

It's a 2002, 169k on it now.

The PO had the valves adjusted once, at my shop. It was a couple years ago, around 140k. I did not do the job personally, a guy working for me at the time did it.

I took everything loose, valve cover will come off first thing in the morning after it cools off overnight. Going to adjust the valves and go from there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
From listening to the videos, it sounds completely normal to me. What oil and filter are you using?

You think so?

It had Harvest King 10W-30 syn and a Bosch 72226WS, about 9k on it when I took the video. I changed it to RGT 5W-30 and same type of filter this afternoon with no effect on the noise.

I've already taken everything loose to remove the valve cover. Going to inspect the valves and timing chain in the morning once the exhaust side has a chance to cool overnight.

In all fairness, the video does make the noise sound a lot worse than it is. It just worries me since I had not noticed it before.

Last edited:
I had a 1976 Plymouth Volare with the 225 straight slant 6 that I bought new. That thing had solid lifters. The valves had to be adjusted every 10K miles. I could tell from the sound of the engine when they needed adjusted, and it was every 10K miles like clockwork.

Engines have come a long way since then but sometimes they still need to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Was this video taken after a cold start? It sounds like piston slap to me, when is fairly common on the K24. Nothing to worry if this is the case. If it is piston slap, the noise will decrease when the engine is warm. My 2006 Accord with the K24a8 had piston slap. My current 2012 Accord with the K24z3 does not.

In my experience with Honda valve adjusters, it is super easy to get the clearance too wide to where the motor makes a racket. It won't hurt anything, but it will annoy you. With as easy as they are to get to on a K24 I'd double check them and aim right down the middle of the tolerance if not shaded slightly to the lower end if you want quiet, provided that's what's making the noise. It kinda sounds like it in the video.

Last edited:
Those early K24s had an exhaust camshaft hardness problem. The lobe(s) would wear down prematurely because there was a manufacturing issue with them. I think it affected the very early K24s up through at least 03-04. I would at least pull the cover and inspect things and check valve clearance.

Definitely not normal. Check if it needs valve adjustment. Hook up a vacuum gauge, what does it shows?

I'm the original owner of my 203k mile 2010 Element. It has the K24 motor. The motors are noisy, but mostly from piston slap when they're cold (because of short piston skirts). But something is not right with yours. Check or recheck the valve adjustment ASAP.

Scott

As an owner and daily driver of an '07 Accord with the 2.4, I agree with the others, that while this series does tend be a louder more agricultural sounding engine, its usually not quite that loud. I don't listen to radio when I drive so I can hear the sounds the car is making and to stay better aware of my surroundings, and that definitely sounds off to me, especially when revved. Mine has 155k and as far as I know the valves have never been adjusted.

I would double check to make sure something didn't start to come loose that perhaps wasn't properly tightened when doing the valve adjustment.

Good luck and please keep us other K24 owners posted on what you find!

I'm guessing your camera has a very sensitive mic. Your video sounds good and loud,but your engine sounds perfectly normal to me. No weird offbeat clanging or metallic sound,just the rhythm of the engine.

Is your video a cold start? I notice mine is silent once it's good and hot,and all you can hear are the injectors.

Some of you mentioned that my camera must have a sensitive microphone. It definitely does, it's whatever the current iPhone is. People complain about background noise on the phone all the time.

All the videos I posted were at idle with the A/C off and at normal operating temp.

Anyways, I adjusted the valves this morning. Happy to report that it sounds MUCH better. Quieter at idle than I ever remember it, might be my imagination but the throttle response seems better under load as well.

Intake valves were a little loose but just barely outside spec, I tightened them up to .009". Exhaust valves were WAY too loose. This was probably most of the clatter. Tightened them to .012".

It was a guy working for me that did the valve adjustment last time, before I owned the car. I have not driven it very much, so I don't know if that noise has been going on since then or it was a recent thing. Whatever it is, it's fixed now. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, the cams looked fine, everything was clean and it got a new valve cover gasket.

Here's a video, PS pump is whining a tiny bit because the wheels were turned hard right but the engine sounds good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZguvCTRl8

Last edited:
Back