The Worst Automotive Fads To Hit The Streets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Love the black wheel/red caliper combo! Looks awesome!

Thank you! I'm a big fan of it too, that's why I ordered it that way. The big brakes fill up the wheel openings too, which I think helps with the look.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by atikovi

Detailing 101. Would look a lot better with some dressing on the tars.

I don't use tire dressing,

And it shows.
lol.gif

And it shows.
lol.gif

As I would expect it to. I don't put anything on my tires, they are there to keep me firmly affixed to the road, not be shiny accessories. I buy my vehicles to drive, not flip.

Especially on a car with black rims (for me). If i use tire dressing at all, i wipe it off to reveal a naturally black rubber look. I HATE excessive tire shine.
Your SRT looks fantastic just as it is.

Originally Posted by wemay

Especially on a car with black rims (for me). If i use tire dressing at all, i wipe it off to reveal a naturally black rubber look. I HATE excessive tire shine.
Your SRT looks fantastic just as it is.

This is what i see with a lot of these black rims, dirty tires, at least scrub the tires to get all that stuff off.
wink.gif

You probably don't use tar dressing either.

Originally Posted by PimTac

You probably don't use tar dressing either.

lol.gif

And it shows.
lol.gif

As I would expect it to. I don't put anything on my tires, they are there to keep me firmly affixed to the road, not be shiny accessories. I buy my vehicles to drive, not flip.

As you wish but why even bother washing it then if you don't care how it looks?

?????? This isn't complex.

I care how the VEHICLE looks; the paint. I wash the wheels and keep the vehicle reasonably clean because I like it to look good. I won't put anything on the rubber of the tires because their function is more important than their form and putting greasy shiny garbage on them not only lacks appeal to me but if anything, may negatively impact their performance and lifespan. The paint is supposed to be shiny, that's why it comes that way, the tires? Not so much.

I care how the VEHICLE looks; the paint. I wash the wheels and keep the vehicle reasonably clean because I like it to look good. I won't put anything on the rubber of the tires because their function is more important than their form and putting greasy shiny garbage on them not only lacks appeal to me but if anything, may negatively impact their performance and lifespan. The paint is supposed to be shiny, that's why it comes that way, the tires? Not so much.

Exactly. Coating the tires with shiny goo just attracts more dirt, plus most of those tire preps just sling off the first time you drive thus making a bigger mess.

Ever wonder what those used car salesmen use on their hair?

Me,I love the blackout look. Reminds me of when I first saw a Buick Grand National. That was the very first blacked out car I'd ever seen.

Originally Posted by Redright9
LOL, many "great" trends! I know I have been guilty of a couple.. but one thing that keeps the automotive industry interesting is the ability for people to personalize their vehicles. With everyone having different tastes, you get a wide variety out there. Many trends I dont love, but am glad they are there. May sound weird, but if we dont continue to push ourselves and try new things, we wont grow.. maybe getting a little off subject.... Anyway, I feel many people take fads or things too far or incorrectly, end of the day if a car looks, sounds, and functions well, its a sweet vehicle. The bad thing is so many of them are done without a clear vision and just slap stuff on..

" Anyway, I feel many people take fads or things too far or incorrectly, "

That's when it ends, thankfully. When they get to the points we just saw, they're over as trends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
I didn't see the worst fad listed...black wheels...

Many of us like black wheels, on our black vehicles. Certainly a [censored] of a lot better than the list of garbage I presented.

Personal choice and taste. To me, at least from 20 feet away, they look like steel wheels that somebody stole the hubcaps off of. May be cool on a rat rod but not on something nice. The worst are the ones sprayed with flat black peel-off paint. A month later it start peeling and looks like crap.

This. How to make an expensive car look trashy.

Yes, I get some people like the look, but I've never been a fan of that monochromatic style since AMG sprayed everything white on a Mercedes back in the 80s. Reminds me of the people down the street who painted their brown 60 Dodge Dart bright blue. Including all the brightwork. And they did it with a brush. If that's your thang go for it but it LLH to me.

As for the dash covers, unlike most of the other examples they actually serve a purpose: they protect it from cracking and sun damage.

And nothing wrong with that El Corvette pick up conversion. Probably a lot more capable as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

If you are looking at a map that is 4" wide - YOUR EYES ARE OFF THE ROAD.

If you just listen to voice navI through your stereo with BT there is less distraction.

I had on, e used it for a day then I threw it in the sock drawer where it sits today.

Wife may have used it to go to Jersey from NH.

Now she uses WAZE app on the phone. It's better.

Nah NAh! Hee HEE.

Well yes, if you set it on the seat, YOUR EYES ARE OFF THE ROAD. However, a normal person sticks it on the windshield so a momentary glance is less distracting that looking at the speedometer or fiddling with the radio. The only real distraction I get is opening up a real map over the steering wheel at 70 mph and putting on some closeup glasses to check what's 50 or 100 miles ahead.

Exactly. A glance does it. No one is sitting in their car going down the road all slack jawed at 75 mph staring at their Garmin or Tom Tom.

And some tell your speed. At eye level. Unlike your regular gauges and speedo behind the steering wheel.

That's the sort of ridiculous crap people were writing about center mounted gauges on the Echo, ION and other cars.

That's just the excuse people make when they don't feel comfortable with new tech. I'm guilty of it as well but picked up a cheap older Garmin from eBay to try out the technology and loved it. And no. I don't "TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD" to see what it's telling me. Just like any other gauge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
And some tell your speed. At eye level. Unlike your regular gauges and speedo behind the steering wheel.

And can show how off the dash speedo is especially on an older car.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Exactly. Coating the tires with shiny goo just attracts more dirt, plus most of those tire preps just sling off the first time you drive thus making a bigger mess.

Ever wonder what those used car salesmen use on their hair?

Never had a problem with shiny goo slinging off or collecting dust, Pim Tac. I just did an ArmorAll job on my Valiant's tires yesterday. The tires look clean and well kept. I used NuVinyl on the Olds, same thing.Yes. NuVinyl. From the 70s along with NuFinish. It actually lasts a long time and keeps the tires from getting ashy.

Maybe you're using too much or the wrong product for your purposes. There are a lot of products out there.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ

And can show how off the dash speedo is especially on an older car.

LOL. True. I know the Valiant has been plus 5 mph for years. 50 = 45 35 =30

I'd hate to see the REAL mpg calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back