Amosil/RL for Mercedes differentials

Looking for a US made synthetic for MB differential

Having used both RL and Amsoil would prefer to stick to either of them and spoke to both RL & Amsoil and only RL is speced to 235.7.

I don't mind using the MB differential fluid but they have no specs on the fluid other than the numbering

Any suggestions and have anyone used non-OEM differential fluids for Mercedes

My sig car is an early build (July 05) and has a genuine mercedes differential.

I first put in Amsoil for the Florida mile years ago, just recently drained and refilled with same.

Never a peep...

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Any suggestions and have anyone used non-OEM differential fluids for Mercedes

I've owned many Mercedes and never cared for the mb approval in this case unlike things like coolant, power steering and tranny fluids. Never had any problem. Always used xW-90 GL-5 in both dino and synth.

However things might be different if you have a limited slip diff and you may want the oem stuff. Usually oil brands have a recommendation tool on their website, it can give you an idea about what you can use. Nowadays in most cases the oil is the same for limited slip and standard diff in my experience.

Just my two cents, might be useless since i only owned 80s to early 00s mercs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by barryh
All I know about my Mercedes diff is that it uses a thinner 75W85 oil. That limits the choice straight away.

The bevo sheet says 75W-85 MB 235.7 but W124 and W202 manuals say SAE 90 or 85W-90 so i believe 235.7 came afterwards and maybe it is only manatory for more recent cars.

Last edited:
Fuchs Titan 75w85 is approved and cheap and easy to find so that's what I'd use.

My clk was back-speced for 235.7 but I've continued to use the old 235.0 85w90 Lubro Moly approved fluid, sticking to that makes it one less thing to worry about with German car ownership as far as I'm concerned:)

Last edited:
The vehicle is a tank and I feel 75w85 could be light here in TX.
All my vehicles on x110 and would prefer loss in MPG vs viscosity protection for 100K miles.
BTW is Fuchs Titan 75w85 a synthetic gear fluid.

AFAIK it is synthetic, and I'd really feel perfectly comfortable using it anywhere in the world on a road car.

I used genuine Toyota 75w85 in my RX350 t-case and rear diff which is the factory fill and it looked perfect at 50k and has been performing perfectly for the last 30k, and that's with A LOT of mountain use in DEEP snow so AWD was working pretty hard, and we did a lot of loose dirt road driving and climbing in the Sierras last summer in the high heat environment with a fully loaded cargo area and all appears well. I guess I'll know more in 20k when I do another D&F but i can tell you my RX gets 10x harder use than 99% of the other suburban mall crawling RX350s

A month ago changed the differential oil to RL w110 and no change in MPG, the OEM fluid at 10K was light grey and clean.
Now no more thinking about differential oil for another 100K miles - it took 1.5Q.

Back