Blocking Emails From Reaching Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way I can block emails coming from a certain company? I am on an iMac and use gmail.

If you select one in your email box you can click the 3 dots at top of mail window in gmail.com and create a filter and action how you please.

Originally Posted by Rand
report them as spam

"Like"

Simplest solution although it might take a little time before Gmail "learns" that. Doing it once, twice, or even more doesn't automatically make them "spam" to Gmail. Otherwise, create a filter that sends it to the trash.

Originally Posted by madRiver
If you select one in your email box you can click the 3 dots at top of mail window in gmail.com and create a filter and action how you please.

+1 - Gmail has very capable filters

Thank You! Done....
grin.gif

I use Thunderbird for GMAIL and have spent a little time telling Thunderbird what is JUNK. So all the JUNK goes into the JUNK folder.

GMAIL also has an "important" folder that it uses to put what it feels are "important".

I also got an email account from protonmail (Switzerland), its encrypted. I have told only bank and other financial companies to send my email there. Zero spam. I think that more to how I use the email account than the fact that its protonmail.

Switzerland has better privacy laws and protonmail must adhere to those laws. Not the weak ones in the USA.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Also, if the email is automated, usually there is an option at the bottom of the email to unsubscribe.

Which, to an unscrupulous sender, will verify the legitimacy of the email address, which in turn raises the price the unscrupulous sender can charge for it when selling to other unscrupulous emailers.

I only use "unsubscribe" for emails I at some point subscribed to or sites and services I've recently joined who did not offer an "opt-in" for their mail lists. Otherwise they rightfully get reported as spam and Gmail takes care of it from there.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Is there any way I can block emails coming from a certain company? I am on an iMac and use gmail.

With GMail, open the email and just above the contents and to the right-side is the word "REPLY". To the right of that are three vertical dots. Click on that and Block is an option.

Also, if the email is automated, usually there is an option at the bottom of the email to unsubscribe.

Never, ever, ever use an unsubscribe option in emails that you didn't sign up for, typically spam. If you signed up for emails from Castrol and then decide you don't want them anymore, that is safe to use the unsubscribe option with though.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Never, ever, ever use an unsubscribe option in emails that you didn't sign up for, typically spam. If you signed up for emails from Castrol and then decide you don't want them anymore, that is safe to use the unsubscribe option with though.

That's true, I should've been more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back