Making to jump to a minivan? Dodge Grand Caravan

Originally Posted by shrooms
Dodge/Chrysler = junk.

Toyota Siena. Reliable and piece of mind.

I don't feel quite as strong as shrooms, but I, in principle, agree.
You usually get what you pay for. Usually.

Maybe an older Toyota/Lexus SUV? If you are stopping at 3 kids.

I wanted a Van and my wife just put her foot down. On my neck.
We got an old Lexus SUV.

Last edited:
Dodge/Chrysler = junk.

A Sienna cannot be had for under 25k. I'm talking 14k OTD and a $95 dollar car payment. You're telling me that a Sienna is worth the extra 10k+ more? I fail to see how.

My Highlander has NOT been the staple of reliability...Two wheel bearings, Power steering pump, it still leaks fluid through the rack... 98k miles.

Last edited:
We are very happy with our 15 Grand Caravan. Has it been 100% problem free? No, but the minivan segment seems to be pretty equal across the brands. A lot of Toyota opinions are based on either Camry, Corolla or the late 90s or early 2000s models, which were a lot more reliable than the new ones.

Anyways, here is what my minivan needed so far:
- Under warranty, a new navigation unit as it was freezing when you wanted to enter a destination.
- The second issue was front blower making intermittent squeaking noises, that would surface only on longer trips. Our dealer replaced it based only on a video my wife took on our vacation trip.
- The third issue was rear shocks, the no self leveling type, making clunking noises. I overloaded mine when we were renovating our previous house and then when we moved, so I had to change them. Didn't bother to get it under warranty.
- The fourth issue I had to address recently and it was transmission oil pan leaking ATF. Nothing catastrophic, just a slight seep that would leave few drops of ATF on my garage floor when parked for few days. Didn't bother to get it under warranty.

Things to watch out for:
- The rear AC, if equipped, tend to develop leaks quite early in the salt belt because the expansion valve is located right behind the rear wheel. It's quite an expensive repair. I rigged up a protective cover to keep debris and water spray from the rear tire to a minimum when I was in Canada, I also sprayed it with rustproofing oil and it works surprisingly well. I don't have to worry about it in California, but since the cover didn't fall off, I keep it there.
- The oil filter housing is prone to cracking when over tightened during oil changes. The oil will collect in the cylinder valley and eventually leak on the ground. I would inspect that area when looking at the vehicle. Also not a cheap repair.
- The rear, non self leveling shocks tend to start clunking quite early. Mine did at 30k miles, but I did overload the van a number of times. Still, many report them clunking around 80k miles. These are easy to change and quite cheap. I paid around $60 for a pair of KYB replacements.
- The plastic coolant crossover Y pipes may may also develop cracks over time, seems to be at over 100k though, but when they fail, you risk overheating the engine. Doorman makes aluminum replacements and it's quite an easy fix. I already purchased them and plan to replace proactively.

I think those are the most commonly found issues with them.

Here is a good thread at Chrysler Minivan Forums about how many miles members got on their 5th generation Grand Caravans and Town & Country minivans.
This is a very good forum with very knowledgeable and honest members. You won't see other brand bashing threads there.

https://forum.chryslerminivan.net/threads/whats-the-mileage-on-your-5th-generation.136769/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Station wagons accommodate adults just fine. If you view driving as just a necessary chore left to a mundane appliance, by all means, get a minivan. Personally, I would prefer something a bit more exciting,

Originally Posted by pandus13
re atikovi:
The OP used to drive some GT stick-shift models.
Right now he is into family life.
What you posted does not have 3 rows... Beside the older Volvos with the jump seat.
And I don't think there are a lot of Wagon models that the back seats could accommodate 2 kids + 1 bucket baby-seat on the same row.

Source: I own a VW Golf Sportwagen (also tried the VW Golf AllTrack at the time) and a Mazda5 (mazda3 with a mini-minivan body. 3 rows, with last row for kids).

I think the sportiest value for the money at the time in US for 2adults+2kids is the Buick Regal TourX (german Opel Estate?). Audi, Merc, BMW, Jaguar are in the $40k+ range...

Minivans and 3-row wagons are really for different use cases. 3-row wagons tend to drive vastly better, but the third row is really only for kids and sacrifices a bunch of cargo space -- though you can get a lot back with a roof box. Minivans do far better at accommodating 3 rows' worth of occupants of any size, plus cargo.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Station wagons accommodate adults just fine. If you view driving as just a necessary chore left to a mundane appliance, by all means, get a minivan. Personally, I would prefer something a bit more exciting,

re atikovi:
What you posted does not have 3 rows... Beside the older Volvos with the jump seat.
And I don't think there are a lot of Wagon models that the back seats could accommodate 2 kids + 1 bucket baby-seat on the same row.

Source: I own a VW Golf Sportwagen (also tried the VW Golf AllTrack at the time) and a Mazda5 (mazda3 with a mini-minivan body. 3 rows, with last row for kids).

I think the sportiest value for the money at the time in US for 2adults+2kids is the Buick Regal TourX (german Opel Estate?). Audi, Merc, BMW, Jaguar are in the $40k+ range...

Minivans and 3-row wagons are really for different use cases. 3-row wagons tend to drive vastly better, but the third row is really only for kids and sacrifices a bunch of cargo space -- though you can get a lot back with a roof box. Minivans do far better at accommodating 3 rows' worth of occupants of any size, plus cargo.

Isn't that what the OP needs it for?

Originally Posted by dja4260
We just found out our family will be growing, yet again. With 2 kids and one on the way, my Elantra isn't going to work.

Originally Posted by d00df00d

re atikovi:

Isn't that what the OP needs it for?

We just found out our family will be growing, yet again. With 2 kids and one on the way, my Elantra isn't going to work.

Have you actually tried using the third raw or are you simply suggesting a wagon purely based on a number of seats? Before buying a minivan I tried few SUVs and it's not easy to get in there, especially if there is a huge child seat already mounted in the second raw. A lower wagon would be even more difficult. And if you have small enough kids that need help with buckling/unbuckling, forget about it.

Last edited:
Dodge/Chrysler = junk.

A Sienna cannot be had for under 25k. I'm talking 14k OTD and a $95 dollar car payment. You're telling me that a Sienna is worth the extra 10k+ more? I fail to see how.

My Highlander has NOT been the staple of reliability...Two wheel bearings, Power steering pump, it still leaks fluid through the rack... 98k miles.

Have a trusted mechanic go over it real close.
If it checks out, go for it.\If you are nervous, here are some strategies to help:
If you budgeted for a $300/mo car note, slap the $205./mo in the bank and use it as an emergency fund.
Check out the MOPAR (Factory) extended warranty. Shop it on line. I understand that there are dealers on line that sell it with a healthy discount.
The platform is well known enough that it should be solid. Comb the net for weaknesses. Tailor future maintainence to compensate for those deficiencies.
Depreciation is huge on FCA products. That makes buying used the sound move.
This van might not be quite as stout as the Toyota/Honda offerings, but the price and value proposition proposed sounds like they are in your favor.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
I have several coworkers with this generation of Grand Caravan, only one made it to 100K on the original transmission.

Also safety wise, this model is pretty bad. Take a look at the pictures of the small overlap test, you'll see what I mean.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Dodge/grand-caravan-minivan/2018

This is a total surprise to me. Until i opened op this thread I was under the impression that 2014+ Grand Caravans were almost bulletproof and now I am reading all of these transmission failures, that is crazy.

Originally Posted by Danno
I work at a Dodge store. It's about as bullet proof a platform you can buy.
Since is is just over basic warranty, make sure all the features and options work. Same as for as for other vehicle.

and do you guys see a lot of Transmission or AC failures?

I rented a Grand Caravan to move my son to college. While I'm definitely not a minivan enthusiast but it drove very well and was a comfortable long distance cruiser.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Have you actually tried using the third raw or are you simply suggesting a wagon purely based on a number of seats? Before buying a minivan I tried few SUVs and it's not easy to get in there, especially if there is a huge child seat already mounted in the second raw. A lower wagon would be even more difficult. And if you have small enough kids that need help with buckling/unbuckling, forget about it.

I've sat in my Taurus 3rd seat. May not be for adult's but just fine for kids as in OPs case. And what's the difference in buckling/unbuckling between the two?

Originally Posted by KrisZ

I've sat in my Taurus 3rd seat. May not be for adult's but just fine for kids as in OPs case. And what's the difference in buckling/unbuckling between the two?

Children are required to be in a child seat until around age of 5, depending on their weight and height, and these are made so that it's not easy for the child to buckle or unbuckle themselves, so a parent or an older sibling has to help them. After that it's a booster seat and kids may still struggle. Again, it's one thing to use these occasionally, it's quite another to have to use them constantly and struggle. And with three children, all raws will have to be used.

Atikovi, first your '99 ford taurus wagon/mercury sable wagon, is 21 years old.
Also not sure about anchor points for baby bucket-seats.
Now I can't remember if it has a third row or a jump seat facing backward (which I really don't like as a parent)

Second, the minivans and mini-minivans are just a bit taller than a regular car, meaning less back pains from lifting the baby bucket seat.

Third, sliding doors + children/toddlers ingress/egress is easier than having a door, especially in parking lots. (I have both regular doors with the GSW and sliding doors with the Mazda5)

So for family convenience, kids + gear + stroller, minivans beat most 3rd row SUVs (beside the Escalade and Explorer) and regular wagons.

And i say this as a guy that really likes the wagons.
So I really hope that when my kids grow up and live the nest that wagons are still available. If my knees say otherwise, may have to move to CUVs.

Atikovi, first your '99 ford taurus wagon/mercury sable wagon, is 21 years old.
Also not sure about anchor points for baby bucket-seats.
Now I can't remember if it has a third row or a jump seat facing backward (which I really don't like as a parent)

Second, the minivans and mini-minivans are just a bit taller than a regular car, meaning less back pains from lifting the baby bucket seat.

Third, sliding doors + children/toddlers ingress/egress is easier than having a door, especially in parking lots. (I have both regular doors with the GSW and sliding doors with the Mazda5)

So for family convenience, kids + gear + stroller, minivans beat most 3rd row SUVs (beside the Escalade and Explorer) and regular wagons.

And i say this as a guy that really likes the wagons.
So I really hope that when my kids grow up and live the nest that wagons are still available. If my knees say otherwise, may have to move to CUVs.

I'm a hatchback, sedan and wagon person myself, I don't really like SUVs, trucks and minivans. My attitude towards minivans was same as Atikovi's, until I decided to try out few options with child seats. I think it was Kia Rondo, Honda Pilot and finally an Odyssey. It was abundantly clear which option is superior, the easiest and more convenient. I can see why some people are not easily convinced when on paper, lots of other vehicle seem to offer similar conveniences and comforts. Reality is that they are far behind, but one has to properly try them out.

I'm more of a practical kind of guy, and will put my family well being and comfort over my personal desires, so a minivan was an obvious choice. If I had to do lots of towing, a body on frame SUV would be it, even though I don't like them.

I would skip this model altogether because of the safety concerns. The design is too old. Both the Odyssey and Sienna are safer and more reliable.

Base models new will cost 18k+ and are really stripped down.

Yeah, but good luck in getting one new (getting anything for that matter) for $18K. You'd have to qualify for every possible incentive like first time buyer, recent college grad, military service, repeat buyer, etc..etc..

When I bought our 2013 Grand Caravan SE model brand new, they were running the America's Value Package models for ~$18K after all applied incentives. For ~$1500 more I got a lot more with the SE model.

If you can get that 2018 for $14500 all-in that's an unreal deal. 2019 ex-rentals with the same miles on them are ~$18K before TTL and their ain't no haggling with those.

I really like the Chrysler/Dodge minivans. the engine is great and fuel economy is good until you get them loaded down then it drops quite a bit. One guy I talked to about the transmission issues says it is due to known problems with the transmission cooler lines leaking transmission fluid. Fluid gets low and eventually transmission fails. If this is true it likely isn't an immediate failure. He seemed to think you could put some aftermarket connectors on it and good to go. Not sure if he really knows or not though. Some people talk like they know everything when they don't in a very convincing way. I am just bringing up problems other I know have had. Brother in law says he will never buy another one. Father in law had one and same 2 issues as well. Both were bought brand new and were well taken care of. When I see other people that have them I often ask how they like them and have they had issues and usually have the same 2 problems. For some reason some people want to deny it. For $10,000 less than a Toyoyta I would certainly go for it. You can easily replace both transmission and AC for under that amount. I really like the stow and go seating too. Great for me going on fishing trips and making a traveling hotel room in the back with an air mattress.

Transmission failures for this generation are on par with the competition so don't let that stop you. Rear AC leaks and Oil filter adapter leaks are the two main issues. I cap the rear lines, evacuate and recharge the front only. Plenty of capacity unless you live down south. The filter adapter can be fixed with chinese part and a couple hours for about a hundred bucks by anyone with a heartbeat practically. I used the Mopar part and it was about $180 and 3 hours but I got ALL the mess cleaned up.

Here's a brand new one with stow-n-go for less than $25k

https://www.davesmith.com/new/Dodge/2019-Dodge-Grand+Caravan-9c98edcc0a0e0a1761fdeb485fac4c5d.htm

We love ours. Don't let the naysayers beat you down. I'm still mad I even looked at a Sienna, that thing felt as cheap if not cheaper than my old Caliber.

Back