Seeking a warmer climate

After been here in the mid west since the middle 80's, I have learned to hate the cold weather. I love the heat and if dry is even better.
What place will you consider moving that has no nasty winters.

North Carolina strikes me as a good balance between hot and cold.

But if you want dry heat, you need to look to the west of the country - California, Arizona, etc. With that said, I lived in AZ for 2 years (PHX area), and the Summers are brutal - can't really be enjoying outdoors during daytime. At least when it's cold, you can layer up. When it's too hot - you can't do much about it other than stay indoors.

This shows hot & dry is not a big percentage …

EE65A1B0-DCF2-4FAB-8F33-FFB9761CB873.png

Mid Atlantic is awful from June-Sept. Hot and humid, I would recommend NM, AZ. You can always hit the mountains if you all of a sudden miss the cold.

Depends on your finances.

If money were no object I would live south of the Bay Area (Los Gatos, Carmel, etc) maybe north of LA or in San Diego. Everything else is a compromise because mild winters equate to hot/humid summers. It's why retirees commute from Fla from/to XYZ in the north every Fall and Spring.

Honestly Atlanta isn't too bad weather wise. We usually have a cold snap lasting a month, but the winters can get wonky from week to week (Highs in the 50's during one week and highs in the 30's the next). We're more likely to get ice rather than snow but it melts away in a day or two. Rarely three.

Last edited:
If money were no object I would live south of the Bay Area (Los Gatos, Carmel, etc) maybe north of LA or in San Diego. Everything else is a compromise because mild winters equate to hot/humid summers. It's why retirees commute from Fla from/to XYZ in the north every Fall and Spring

I have actually been to Bay Area many times, the wife has some relatives their besides the crazy traffic the weather is nice.

These are all great ideas, I love the picture that shows the different temperatures.

The Atlantic coast of Florida around Daytona is my dream. The winters are mild and as long as you can stay within a few miles of the ocean the summers are breezy and bearable.

Yeah, I have to wonder about being a snow bird--go south for the worst of winter and north again for the worst of summer.

I don't do well with sun but I have to admit to thinking about Arizona or similar, dry but hot. Oppressive humidity wears me down so I wonder if dry heat would eventually bother me the same--or if I'd prefer it.

Most of all, I think I'd just want to be south. I swear, the older I get, the more it seems I'm simply depressed for the entire time we are not on Daylight Savings Time. I think the short days get to me more than the cold does.

I do wonder if Norther Texas or Oklahoma might be nice--just avoid tornado alley.

Yesterday was a warm 81* in Los Gatos (Silicon Valley).
Today and rest of the week will be a perfect low 70*.
It really is a magical place to live.

It goes without saying, housing prices and state taxes (10% minimum) are high.
If I were moving here and was closer to retirement, I would look at the wine country (Napa, Sonoma, Petaluma).
Cheaper yet and really doable is the gold country, but it gets hot!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Arizona is beautiful. I really liked Apache junction and the superstition mountain area. Plus you can ride ATV's on the streets and carry a gun.

+1 on Arizona. In summer Flagstaff, Payson, Prescott are all just 2 hours to get away from the heat.

We have lived in the Tampa/St. Pete's/Clearwater FL area for some time however, the humidity got to my wife. We do visit often because we have family & friend here.

When our daughter went to ASU, I have loved Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale ever since and have made very good friends(almost family) there as well. Very dry causing our skin to itch and fingernails to dry/crack. But, this is the area we both can agree on.

Please keep on topic and save the political commentary. Next post I have to remove will get this

Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle
The Atlantic coast of Florida around Daytona is my dream. The winters are mild and as long as you can stay within a few miles of the ocean the summers are breezy and bearable.

That is the ticket, I am moving there soon, a bit south near Jupiter. You have described the climate there perfectly. Key us to live near the ocean.

Texas can be very hot and humid,especially south Texas. It can be cold outside and feel like you're sweating because of the 100% humidity.

Originally Posted by LazyDog

After been here in the mid west since the middle 80's, I have learned to hate the cold weather. I love the heat and if dry is even better.

Gainesville, FL.

You can really stretch you money and avoid the big city life.

Heat & Dry ?
Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico

We're in the process of moving to South Carolina. We close on our house on 04/27. We're currently in Georgia where we've been for the past 6 years. Before that, it was Mississippi and Texas.

I'm hot natured and love cool weather. I'm right at home when it's 50*F outside. However, I hate snow with a passion. Actually... it's not snow itself, but what comes along with it... such as the road salt that rusts everything in sight and the potential for roof damage.

I like the area we live in here. The climate is hot and humid, but more tolerable than Florida. I don't have to deal with snow aside from the light flurries that dip down this way every few years. We're not in a major tornado or earthquake area. The area isn't prone to flooding. We're far enough inland for hurricanes to not be a major threat. Also, the race tracks are open almost the entire year around (except during a global pandemic).

Las Cruces,New Mexico area

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle

That is the ticket, I am moving there soon, a bit south near Jupiter. You have described the climate there perfectly. Key us to live near the ocean.

Just try not to get run over. Florida is #3 in the nation for pedestrian deaths for a reason.
wink.gif

https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/States/StatesPedestrians.aspx

Depends on what you consider a nasty winter. Even dry brutally hot areas of the country can have downright cold and nippy nighttime winter temps.
Now Illinois is a big state north to south. Chicago ( my former stomping ground ) just got hit with snow. I moved far enough south of there to retire my snow shovel and still have the four seasons.

Back