Spending less these days?

What with some days working from home as well as much less time out and about either together or separately, I find that we're spending less now than we typically have in the recent past.
Less driving combined with dirt-cheap fuel, no meals/snacks while out, since we aren't out much as well as no gym fees and no live theatre, with its attendant drinks and dinner out after.
No vacation planning or spending, since we have no idea when we'll next get to visit or younger son via PDX much less venture to the Caribbean over the next winter. No weekenders in store for this summer either.
We're spending less now than we have since we met in grad school nearly forty years ago.
Almost kinda makes up for the sickening decline in our individual portfolios.
Lord, how I wish I'd dumped Boeing two months ago or better yet a year before that.
Retirement will not be as flush as we had planned.
Maybe work longer? That isn't as bad as it sounds for either of us.
In continued health lies wealth, or something like that.

I've always lived like I'm poor. This isnt anything new for me. I have money socked away since before I was in the U.S. NAVY with mom and stepdad financial planner and smart choices.

Last edited:
lot of people are spending less because literally there is no place to spend it on. I love to go out and eat weekly , but every thing is closed. see a movie? closed. all this saving money is killing the sales tax and gas taxes of the places on lock down. don't know how long this can last when a state is just giving out and not getting in

Yup, saving probably $1,200 a month right now. Not going out to eat, not commuting. We usually go to the Caribbean over the summer - that's probably cancelled - save $10,000 grand there. But I want to do something...hopefully something will be open by then.

But I wish things were the way they were, this is awful. Getting sick of this routine too.

And this has hit me in the wallet...wife lost a $15,000 dollar project. I haven't even looked at our 401k's...and the worst part is, I was warned to pull out in January. Was told...this virus from China is going to hit our shores, if I didn't think it would be major? Leave it, but if I thought it'd be major? Take it out. I didn't think it'd be like this. All well, can't do anything about it now. But I know people that are really really hurting right now, I consider myself real lucky.

Makes you think that an economy is more than having money and a job... you need access to spend that money on stuff.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Work longer if you like your job. An extra year or two won't hurt.

You could be in a lot worse situation.

You're right about that.
We are both in a fortunate situation and can assist our sons as they need.
The younger one is a restaurant manager in Portland, so he's pretty screwed while the older is working more hours than he can stand.
Still, they're both young and fit and should be okay and to date wife and I remain healthy, less wealthy and wise.

Not eating out so much for lunch, so there's savings there. A little less gas, only working in the office alternating days.

Overall, not too wild of a difference though.

If anyone wants to bless me with their savings just let me know. I have a paypal
lol.gif

I spend money all the time, it's something I've done for years, I cant honestly say I have a ton of cash in a savings account, on the other hand you can compare me to a pirate when it comes to precious metals. One of the things that stuck with me in high school economics was this.

I tell people all the time that if you have a spending habit/urge, buy precious metals with it. You're getting the thrill of buying something at the same time you're actuallynsaving money, potentially gaining money in the long run if youre buying coins....

Used to preach this to guys in the military. No one really listened except two. Both are out and saved around 30k each to buy houses during their time in. They still buy it today.

Both retired here just trying to clean out the freezers. Found some frozen corn from 2018 that we had put up. Haven`t used a tank of gas in a month. Usually a tank week in both vehicles. Had enough though. Everyone around us who are still working have had no problems. It all seems surreal.

Consumer spending in the U.S. is down almost 9% over the past month. Interesting times. Might be a really good time to go trolling for used cars, RV's, tools, or whatever in the next month.

I'm spending a lot less and planning to spend a lot less on vacations and gambling than usual. Can't even spend money playing golf. I'm doing art at home. Art is inexpensive.

Originally Posted by Railrust
And this has hit me in the wallet...wife lost a $15,000 dollar project. I haven't even looked at our 401k's...and the worst part is, I was warned to pull out in January. Was told...this virus from China is going to hit our shores, if I didn't think it would be major? Leave it, but if I thought it'd be major? Take it out. I didn't think it'd be like this. All well, can't do anything about it now. But I know people that are really really hurting right now, I consider myself real lucky.

It's not too late to get out if you really think that. Market was back up the last week and this week it's up and down. Hard to say which way it will go, some think it can go lower than the last low and some think there's light at the end of the tunnel as cases go down.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
I tell people all the time that if you have a spending habit/urge, buy precious metals with it. You're getting the thrill of buying something at the same time you're actually saving money, potentially gaining money in the long run if you're buying coins....

I think if you look at the charts, precious metals haven't done as well as the S&P 500 over the long term although it does well occasionally in the short term. Now might be better but usually there's more good times than bad times that's why long term it's better to do the S&P 500. That's my basic advice.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
What with some days working from home as well as much less time out and about either together or separately, I find that we're spending less now than we typically have in the recent past.

Same here. Our lifestyle has been summed up in six simple words, "Don't spend money. Don't buy anything."

Less driving combined with dirt-cheap fuel, no meals/snacks while out, since we aren't out much as well as no gym fees and no live theatre, with its attendant drinks and dinner out after.

I do a bit more snacking at home. However outside of business travel I'm not doing much of anything and even that has been condensed and limited. I told my wife that we could get away with never buying gas for the entire year and honestly, we could achieve that when it comes to family car use.

No vacation planning or spending, since we have no idea when we'll next get to visit or younger son via PDX much less venture to the Caribbean over the next winter. No weekenders in store for this summer either.

Our daughter came home early from college. My son has a very strong mind for organization and building a social life combined with a routine. They're fine. We have no plans on vacationing and only thought about doing day trips since the wife doesn't like leaving the dog too long.

We're spending less now than we have since we met in grad school nearly forty years ago.

We're spending more but mainly for food. My wife is very health conscious and a great cook. I got a free treadmill from a doctor about a few weeks before all this happened and I'm walking a couple of miles three times a week. Still, I walked a lot more in my day job before it became all digital.

Almost kinda makes up for the sickening decline in our individual portfolios.

I made money. Liquidated most of my holdings late last year. I did get hurt on a shipping company that I have owned and acquired a lot of stock over the years, but my put options luckily overcame that loss.

Lord, how I wish I'd dumped Boeing two months ago or better yet a year before that.

Retirement will not be as flush as we had planned.

I need to stay healthy and low stress. That concerns me a lot more. When this first started I bought 10 beers and started to have two a day. My sleep patterns started going to [censored] so I stopped it.

Maybe work longer? That isn't as bad as it sounds for either of us.
In continued health lies wealth, or something like that.

Likewise, stay healthy and thanks for giving me such a fertile opportunity to clear my head. I'm sure the two of you will have an enjoyable future. Talent has a way of radiating itself.

All the best!

Steven Lang

Saving money on child care and commuting costs. We are trying to do takeout a bunch because we live in a town with a thriving downtown, but much of it is restaurants.

Life still goes on. We would have done a spring break trip, so we saved thousands with that, but anything else still gets done. We still have to eat, do the projects we want to do, buy the items we need. I am shopping more local for stuff, even if more expensive. Bought eggs and vegetables at the produce shop downtown vs the supermarket. Asked the downtown little hardware store guy to order things for me vs going to Home Depot.

Probably a business structure more like the 50s/60s, and I think the little guy did better then. I might not save the last buck, but I'm spreading money around more and locally, which ai do like. Marginally less convenient of course...

Back