Apple iPhone SE

https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/

https://macintouch.com

...Today Apple recycled the name of its beloved, original, 4-inch iPhone SE for a larger, "second-generation" iPhone SE that uses an iPhone 8 enclosure (in red, white or black) with 4.7-inch (1334×750) screen and Home button while updating to the "A13 Bionic" processor of iPhone 11 models.

The new iPhone SE also reprises the iPhone 8's camera, battery life, and water resistance but drops "3D Touch", while the new A13 processor supports "Portrait Mode" and "Portrait Lighting" effects plus "extended dynamic range for video up to 30 fps." Like the iPhone 8, the newest model can capture 4K video at 60 fps through its wide-angle (28mm equivalent) camera lens while adding "stereo" audio recording but eliminating the audio jack of the original iPhone SE. New radio hardware brings WiFi 6 and 802.11ax support plus dual nano-SIM/eSIM capability. (See Apple's comparison tool for more details.)

New iPhone SE pricing starts at $399 (plus tax, shipping, AppleCare, and phone service) with 64 GB of storage, $449 with 128 GB, or $549 with 256 GB. Pre-ordering starts this Friday for delivery around April 24. Apple no longer sells iPhone 8 models, leaving the iPhone 11 series and iPhone XR as its pricier alternatives to the new iPhone SE (though Apple's refurb store currently offers some iPhone 8, iPhone X and iPhone XS models with discounted prices)....

I have Apple stock buy Apple products I will approve In fact buy 2 or 3 it will be better.

Not a huge apple fan but nice to see them selling a product that the masses can afford. I'll stick with my Pixel

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Thanks for that; Finally a replacement phone I'll remotely consider. cue the usual stale apple criticism from the regular jokers....

Same here. I've had my original SE for over 2 years now. I didn't want a large phone. This will be the phone I upgrade to.

The first iPhone I have liked since the 5c. I already own a Pixel 3a XL and plan on using it for as long as it works.

I'm not a ford, Chevy, or Dodge guy. I like them all. They all have good and bad vehicles. The same goes for Apple vs Android. I currently use a pixel 3a. I love it. I have never owned an iPhone but have always been jealous of there long os support and tight knit hardware. I had a windows phone for a few years and really liked it. Maybe the iPhone se will cause my to finally jump ship. The 4.7 in screen seems awfully small though coming from a phone that's almost an inch bigger.

I went to the website to check it out. I had forgotten how stupidly expensive the current line of phones was. That's the reason I had pretty much committed to making my current phone last forever. At $399 they might actually get me back as a buyer.

Just ordered new SE in red 128gb cant wait.I have the current SE and its been great for me.But new SE has just enough upgrades etc to make it just that much better,plus size of it only increased a small but nice amount.I dont like the giant sized phones,they dont work well for me in my daily environment.

We got a couple iphone SE (first gen) phones for free when we signed on with Metro PCS Tmobile.

We used them for a couple years they are good little phones, the early ones are based on the iphone 6 processor.

We had them unlocked and used them on Cricket for a year.

Right before the pandemic, Metro was offering two iPhone 7's for $49, so we went back to Metro and have iPhone 7.

I'm pretty happy with the 7. Also good to know that we got 4 iphones for $49 total, and we sold the old iphones on FB marketplace for $100 for the pair.

I would not pay $399 for them, just wait for a prepaid company to start giving them away.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
When my 6s craps out, that's the phone I'm getting.

Ditto. Looks a lot like what I have (the 6s), sans earphone connector--that I'm a bit sad about, but despite all my screaming and kicking, I'm slowly being dragged into liking wireless earbuds.

I don't know if these will have a price cut in a year or two? I wonder if I should buy one a year from now, *before* my 6s dies (for whatever reason) (or even just needs a new battery) and keep it around as a spare. Right now I think we have 4 of the 6's in our family, at some point we're going to need to replace one.

Looks like Walmart is offering $200 off the new SE if you order through their website. You have to purchase it on an installment plan through a carrier, but you can pay off the device after 30 days. I've purchased several phones through Walmart this way and it's a great way to save money if you have an available line upgrade on your account, or are opening up a new line of service.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/apple-ip...=yoSQZnUV2xyOUCPwUx0Mo34BUki2kS2AEygq3M0

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
Looks like Walmart is offering $200 off the new SE if you order through their website. You have to purchase it on an installment plan through a carrier, but you can pay off the device after 30 days. I've purchased several phones through Walmart this way and it's a great way to save money if you have an available line upgrade on your account, or are opening up a new line of service.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/apple-ip...=yoSQZnUV2xyOUCPwUx0Mo34BUki2kS2AEygq3M0

I can't tell from the Walmart website what sort of hoops I would have to jump through to get the discount.

Walmart isnt offering any off.
You have to sign up with a major carrier.

Anytime you see a big discount you are paying for it, whether you know it or not.
Compare what you will be paying to a no contract phone service. Id rather buy and own my phone and be able to go to any network I want at any time I want as many times as I want, I pay for monthly service and that's it, no contracts or agreements

https://www.walmart.com/cp/apple-iphone-terms-conditions/5116563

More or less, if there are terms and conditions that exceed a 30 day period, I decline

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Elkins45
I went to the website to check it out. I had forgotten how stupidly expensive the current line of phones was. That's the reason I had pretty much committed to making my current phone last forever. At $399 they might actually get me back as a buyer.

It's got about the same computing power as the latest iPhone 11 models. It's the same size as the iPhone 6/6s/7/8, and the iPhone 8 was discontinued. Unless someone really wants a glass back, I don't see why the new iPhone SE isn't superior in every way than the 8. I've had a 7 that's been pretty good for 3 years. It's still good, but I guess the new SE might be future proof at a really sweet price. I was hesitant to replace mine with an iPhone 8 since that has a glass back. If the back cracks, Apple's only repair for it would be a complete replacement. The have service replacements that cover all sorts of issues. They're free replacements under warranty, but less than the price of a new one for a replacement out of warranty or due to an accident.

Iphone 7 here. Seems a bit aged and have occasional crashes of apps while scrolling, although wife's 7 seems fine...
Seriously considering the SE.... Is the screen area the same as a 7?

Back