Lubricating two post lift cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a two post lift into my little hobby garage and I followed the instruction manual to use gear oil for cable lubrication. That was a mistake because the smell of the gear oil is too intensive. I have been cleaning the cables with clean paper rags to get rid of the gear oil and replace it with something more tolerable. What kind of oil I should use to minimize smell?
Also what about hydraulic oil vs ATF. Which one smells more. I used ATF and when I lower the lift I can smell the atf fumes that exit the breather.

They actually have a grease specific for wire rope. Don't get it on you because it has to wear off. It also has a smell, not as repulsive as rear end gear oil. Clear hydraulic oil, 10 weight, non-foaming,non detergent is what you want instead of tranny fluid, it doesn't have much smell, easily available at big box stores like the Home Depot.

I'd have to see the setup in person to make a guess about what would be acceptable lubrication, but for the limited amount of cycles it's going to be used, I'd imagine that silicone grease would work fine and be practically odorless. However you might need to use a solvent to get the rest of the oil off first.

Certainly that lube has permeated the cable and will be difficult to remove without removing and soaking.If memory serves an old mechanic friend brushed on white lithium lube on his four post lift then carefully removed excess wearing gloves using towels. There are always broken wire strands.

My lift manual says no cable lubrication. I use chassis grease on all metal to metal contact points such as rollers to the side beams.

I'm surprised you would need to lube the cables unless the lift is used in wet conditions or exposed to salty air. I've never personally had an issue with equalization cables even on very old lifts.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm surprised you would need to lube the cables unless the lift is used in wet conditions or exposed to salty air. I've never personally had an issue with equalization cables even on very old lifts.

I have bendpak xpr 10 AS. The instruction manual says that the cables should be lubricated with wt90 gear oil or almasol special cable oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back