Does this look like a PDR Candidate?

I've put off dealing with this, but several months ago I was headed down the interstate when the car in front of me kicked up a tire tread that I couldn't avoid. it caught the edge of my hood and left a nice dent.

I've been shopping the junkyards to see if I can find one in the right color, but I've seen PDR mentioned enough that I thought that might be a viable option. Obviously the final ruling would have to come from someone who does it, but I wanted to get opinions here if it was even worth pursuing.

IMG_0955.jpg

Thanks-figured it was a long shot.

Looks like I'm back to stalking the yards for a hood I don't have to paint.

The sharp creases is what makes PDR a less viable option. They could probably get it looking much better but not perfect. Keep looking for a used correct color hood. Go to www.car-parts.com and search - you will find what you need. Don't know where you are in the US but I found a hood 5 miles from me for your car for 515.00

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
The sharp creases is what makes PDR a less viable option. They could probably get it looking much better but not perfect. Keep looking for a used correct color hood. Go to www.car-parts.com and search - you will find what you need. Don't know where you are in the US but I found a hood 5 miles from me for your car for 515.00

Perfect! Thank you.

Found a perfect one 50 miles away for $500. I'm waiting on a call back while they check to make sure it's the same paint code, but with any luck I'll be on my way up there this afternoon to get it.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
$500?!?. Go get a body shop quote. Could be a $350-400 fix

I'm thinking between 2 hours labor for the dent and the tri coat paint it will be more than $600 to fix. Most bodyshops would actually prefer to replace the hood with those types of damage when labor can almost equal a new hood. But, it sure is close between a bodyshop and a used hood, I agree. With the used hood it will surely match better and be of equal age if its in good shape.

I can run it by a body shop, but just from prior experience I'm probably looking at $400-500 locally for a tri-coat paint job on a hood. They certainly seem to like to charge a nice pile for that-I love how tri-coat looks but it can hurt if you ever have to have any work done on it.

Sorry I never followed up.

That was a false alarm-it wasn't the right color.

The search continues!

Back