Now that's a tube

Was doing some inventory on my tubes today and I ran across these beasties. 845 power tubes.

next to it is a 12at7 which is a common preamp tube size (12at7, 12ax7 etc)

[Linked Image]

My friend's father was an EE and he said radio station would have tubes last 20+ years because the power to them was ramped up slowly.

Tubes are always transformers, right?

OP, where do you get you tubes?
I'm thinking of upgrading from my stock tubes, but nobody seems to sell them locally.

For music amps the tubes can be found on amazon and ebay or from specialty tubes houses just google it. If you find an old box of tubes in grandpa's attic they are worth serious money if they are the ones everyone's after. Russia china and some euro countries still make tubes but not as good as the old ones. Tubes were replaced by solid state transistors which are basically switches.

Originally Posted by Kira
My friend's father was an EE and he said radio station would have tubes last 20+ years because the power to them was ramped up slowly.

Tubes are always transformers, right?
Tubes are generally amplifiers of some sort, but specialty ones could do lots of things, even act as numerical indicators.

I get mine from all kinds of places. From the internet to local garage sales. lot's of good online stores for decent tubes if you want to do upgrades, just don't get to caught up in sonic differences. A lot of it is BS and designed to drain your wallet.

Here are some nixie tubes for counting

[Linked Image]

They had some water cooled power tubes for the old Loran A stations when I was going to Electronics school in the coast guard. They were not glass but completely metal and weighed like 20 pounds each. They were already obsolete in 1980 but still there for training purposes. Loran C was the hot ticket. Now? Is Loran even used anymore?

Thanks for the replies.
My current amp is able to take 6K4 or 6J1 or GE5654 or 6AK5 tubes.
Pretty hard to find, so I might have to take my search to the internet.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Was doing some inventory on my tubes today and I ran across these beasties. 845 power tubes.

next to it is a 12at7 which is a common preamp tube size (12at7, 12ax7 etc)

Reminds me of the beast of an RF amplifier tube that were in my plasma cleaner power supply - though they
were ceramic and had fins. BAck in the early 80's. Western Electric used a plasma process to dewax specific surface mounted microwave leaded diodes.
I later developed an Ozone process cleaner that used UV lamps and bottlesd o2 to generate o3 .

Lots cheaper, smaller, lighter and less maintenance. Those Plasma vacuum pumps ran on a fomblin alternative fluorocarbon oil. 139 bucks a gallon IIRC.

Is it true that music sounds better thru old tube systems compared to modern systems?

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
A great tube amp sounds great. A great transistor amp sounds great. Which is "better" is quite subjective.

Like a Roland vs. a Fender

I was a Radioman in the Navy, When I checked on board my first Submarine we still had a bunch of equipment with tubes in them. This brought back good memories. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by sloinker
They had some water cooled power tubes for the old Loran A stations when I was going to Electronics school in the coast guard. They were not glass but completely metal and weighed like 20 pounds each. They were already obsolete in 1980 but still there for training purposes. Loran C was the hot ticket. Now? Is Loran even used anymore?

Holy p o o p. Loran!!!! Hahahahahhaha I used it. Gone GPS now!

Back