Thoughts on redline?

Originally Posted by 330indy
Originally Posted by buster
still think the best choice for GDI engines is Mobil 1 and Driven DI oils.

why?

Lower SA, low Noack and high quality base oils that are oxidation resistant.

I called Dave yesterday just out of curiosity. Despite being owned by Phillips 66, they still operate as they always have. Their oils still contain a large dose of POE and PAO. For LSPI, he acknowledged how Ca is a contributor, however moly and POE help negate this. As far as how much, I don't know. For GDI oils and IVD's, there are a lot of factors that play a role in intake valve deposits, some of which obviously have nothing to do with the oil itself. Two possible areas RL is ok for these engines is the lower Noack and POE content. In theory if any of the oil comes in contact with the IV's, the POE can possible help keep them clean. That is speculation though. I still think the best choice for GDI engines is Mobil 1 and Driven DI oils.

is Redline high in Ca compared to others?

I called Dave yesterday just out of curiosity. Despite being owned by Phillips 66, they still operate as they always have. Their oils still contain a large dose of POE and PAO. For LSPI, he acknowledged how Ca is a contributor, however moly and POE help negate this. As far as how much, I don't know. For GDI oils and IVD's, there are a lot of factors that play a role in intake valve deposits, some of which obviously have nothing to do with the oil itself. Two possible areas RL is ok for these engines is the lower Noack and POE content. In theory if any of the oil comes in contact with the IV's, the POE can possible help keep them clean. That is speculation though. I still think the best choice for GDI engines is Mobil 1 and Driven DI oils.

is Redline high in Ca compared to others?

By today's standards it is, yes. Most formulations have moved to mg/ca for LSPI reasons. Mobil 1 was first in 2012, others followed a few years later.

RL is fantastic but I'd be hesitant using it in a GDI engine.

I see
I use it in NA PFI BMWs

thumbsup2.gif

Great choice.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
good stuff

Thanks for your eighth (?) promotion in this thread.

i think I'm up to 9

grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bchannell
The oil question is the same as always, use what you like and it'll be fine. Is Redline good oil? You bet it is! Is it needed? Absolutely not. There are plenty of oils that will work and you'll never know the difference. So, as always, use what you want and can afford. If you want to try it just for the heck of it, go for it.

Now, having said that, the one thing I can tell you from first hand experience is with their manual trans fluid. I have a Tacoma 5 speed and if you've ever read anything about them or drove one they shift like crap. It was so bad that I was seriously thinking of getting rid of a fine truck. Online suggestions were to try Redline MT fluid. So I did, and that was three or so years ago, it now shifts like butter. I was nothing short of amazed at the difference. I just couldn't believe that fluid could make such a difference, but it did, so there are measureable differences in gear oil.

Exact same story with me but with a Maxima 6 speed, and it was Amsoil 75w90 gear GL4 oil which made a world of difference to the shifting quality.

Last edited:
My thoughts have changed a bit over the last month regarding SA and GDI engines. I don't think SA is as much of an issue with GDI engines. You often find those that have used oils like Red Line, that contain significant ester content, the engines remain remarkably clean, especially the ring area which is prone to carbon buildup.

If it is true that the higher moly, ZDP and ester content help mitigate LSPI issues, than Red Line could very well be a top choice for GDI engines. The low Noack and high solvency could really be beneficial.

I had negative thoughts about RL previously in this post but after reading a lot of post from Hemi guys about how RL helped their Hemi Tick. I'm gona give it a try for my 6.2L Ford which also has a valvetrain tick. So we'll see what happens

2E7C13BB-72EE-41C1-BBBA-4AF328375B17.jpeg

^ Nice.
cheers3.gif

Seriously thinking about sending off a UOA on the RGT I'm running know and then do a backup UOA on the RL to see what the numbers say.

What you think Buster ?

Some recent articles on Red Line.

Link

Link2

"We never separated the older-car market from the modern-car market," Howell said. "We never looked at it separately. We were just making an oil that was good for all of those vehicles."

Some recent articles on Red Line.

Link

Link2

"We never separated the older-car market from the modern-car market," Howell said. "We never looked at it separately. We were just making an oil that was good for all of those vehicles."

Is he discussing racing oils exclusively?
If not, there is a SN Plus / Dexos1 version of Red Line currently. So when he states there is no separation, there is now.
I think both of those links / articles are over a year old. Thanks for keeping us informed Buster. You and Gokhan have provided BITOG with plentiful material lately.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
what a hostile thread.
Redline has proven superior in my BMWs
protection
and cleanliness

so there
cost no object

Superior to what? What are you basing this on?

I use redline products. ATF and gear lubes are absolutely beautiful, tranny shifts are quick, and responsive, and in my manual car, it shifts like butter.

Redline is expensive bc they are actually a true synthetic. I have picked up and been inside the facility in Benicia. I have met Dave their personally. Great dude. Have questions, he with give you a straight answer

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I had negative thoughts about RL previously in this post but after reading a lot of post from Hemi guys about how RL helped their Hemi Tick. I'm gona give it a try for my 6.2L Ford which also has a valvetrain tick. So we'll see what happens

Only about a 100 miles logged so far with Redline. The ticking noise I've experienced since new is basically gone.
I'm very pleased at the moment. If Redline proves to be the cure for this engine, then I'll be buying more in the future !ðŸ‘

Back