Infamous 3.6 Pentastar oil cooler strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most of you are aware of the pattern failures of 3.6L Pentastar engines used in Dodge/RAM/Jeep vehicles where they leak. It can leak oil or coolant or both. Most of the failures are attributed to oil change personnel overtightening the oil cap which stresses the plastic. But it will also fail on it's own in other ways such as what happened to mine. I've probably changed 5 or 6 over the years on other folks vehicles. You have to remove the intake and it sits deep down in the valley of the motor. Not a difficult job but a lot of small stuff to do keep cleared to reach it.

Well, the cooler in the wifes 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland finally blew its cooler this week - oil everywhere. I been holding my breath since we got it in 2014 for when it would happen to us....we made it to 117k miles which my be a record for an original 3.6 oil cooler LOL! Anyhow - bit the bullet and paid the $300 for the OEM part from the dealer. Once last year somebody brought me an ebay cooler they paid $75 for and it lasted exactly a year. This is not a job you want to keep doing so buy the OEM if possible, It has a 2yr warranty. Also make sure you get the correct one....they were changed in 2014. There is one for 2013 prior and one for 2014 and up. While I was in there, and intake off for needed room, I did the spark plugs and both valve cover gaskets. This is the first problem this vehicle has given in 117k miles - just great quality Jeep.

Just rambling on fellows - have a great day!

Is your part # this MOPAR 68105583AF {#68105583AE} If so rockauto has the OE one for $188 plus shipping.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Is your part # this MOPAR 68105583AF {#68105583AE} If so rockauto has the OE one for $188 plus shipping.

Rockauto only listed 1 option (not Mopar) and it was out of stock.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I don't know of this being a problem on Pentastar sedans. Is this a Jeep issue? My 200 isn't leaking

Yes it is across the board. I've done a few Chargers and Challengers and a Caravan.-

I didn't know the 200 could have the 3.6 - that must be a little rocket!!

Last edited:
I will add this - when it leaks and starts leaking slow - the oil builds up in the valley and you won't know it until if fills up and starts running out the back of he motor down the trans. We sucked out a quart of oil on my wifes that was laying in there - no oil burning smell at all! Take a flashlight and shine down all around the oil cap area and look for evidence of oil. It can leak for awhile until you notice it.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I don't know of this being a problem on Pentastar sedans. Is this a Jeep issue? My 200 isn't leaking

Yes it is across the board. I've done a few Chargers and Challengers and a Caravan.-

How long did it take you to do?

Originally Posted by demarpaint

1.5 hr. 30 minutes was spent just cleaning the intake all out and making sure I got all the oil off the motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimzz

Rockauto only listed 1 option (not Mopar) and it was out of stock.

Yea you have to search by part number. Some OE parts do not have all the makes/models listed so they will not show up on a vehicle search, only part #.

Yep, seems these will start to leak around 100-120k on average. Many times its just the seals. But its such a pain to get to better to get a OE housing with new orange seals and replace. Don;t use the black seals.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

1.5 hr. 30 minutes was spent just cleaning the intake all out and making sure I got all the oil off the motor.

Thanks! Not bad at all as far as time goes. I heard cases of the O-Rings they were using early on being a source of an oil leak, as well as the housing cracking. Certainly a weak link. Why they didn't use aluminum/metal for that housing is odd, especially since there have been a few revisions to the part.

Most of the failures are attributed to oil change personnel overtightening the oil cap which stresses the plastic.
Which is why I use a torque wrench to tighten mine every single time so that I do not over tighten it. Unless I am missing something, it looks like I could get the entire OEM assembly for my 2019 for about $95 from Factory Chrysler Parts (Item 1 in the image):

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/ADAPTER-ENGINE-OIL-FILTER/13295899/68365931AA.html

[Linked Image from factorychryslerparts.com]

I will add this - when it leaks and starts leaking slow - the oil builds up in the valley and you won't know it until if fills up and starts running out the back of he motor down the trans. We sucked out a quart of oil on my wifes that was laying in there - no oil burning smell at all! Take a flashlight and shine down all around the oil cap area and look for evidence of oil. It can leak for awhile until you notice it.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the newer models are ok and don't leak? I change my own oil and I don't go nuts when tightening down the oil filter cap. However last time, the spring on the oil filter cap came loose from the cap, so I need to order a new one of those.

Originally Posted by JC1

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the newer models are ok and don't leak? I change my own oil and I don't go nuts when tightening down the oil filter cap. However last time, the spring on the oil filter cap came loose from the cap, so I need to order a new one of those.

The later models are failing too.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Most of the failures are attributed to oil change personnel overtightening the oil cap which stresses the plastic.
Which is why I use a torque wrench to tighten mine every single time so that I do not over tighten it. Unless I am missing something, it looks like I could get the entire OEM assembly for my 2019 for about $95 from Factory Chrysler Parts (Item 1 in the image):

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/ADAPTER-ENGINE-OIL-FILTER/13295899/68365931AA.html

[Linked Image from factorychryslerparts.com]

The difference with yours only seems to be that it has 1 sensor where mine has 3, the housing design is the same. Mine is $180 on that site - great price. The dealer is $277 which means $299 with tax. Rockauto was out of stock.

Thanks guys. I need to inspect to see if any leaks are occurring. I normally check the oil level once a week, so it's usually not down that much over an entire oil change.

I replaced mine on a 2014 Grand Caravan at 50k miles. The o rings is where the leaking occurred. About 3 hours of time with cleaning and spark plug change. At least an hour of cleaning. I held on to the original part and will put new seals in it for a spare if needed in the future. Surprised to hear the problem is still happening. Come on FCA, shouldn't be that hard to redesign around this issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
I replaced mine on a 2014 Grand Caravan at 50k miles. The o rings is where the leaking occurred. About 3 hours of time with cleaning and spark plug change. At least an hour of cleaning. I held on to the original part and will put new seals in it for a spare if needed in the future. Surprised to hear the problem is still happening. Come on FCA, shouldn't be that hard to redesign around this issue.

I agree, but I'm sure the bean counters played a roll in this. Combined with forced EPA fuel ratings that plastic is probably $1 cheaper to make per part and probably is a few ounces lighter which won out.

Unless the aftermarket makes a metal component, I think we are stuck with plastic component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back