Oil extractors?

Do any of yall use oil extractors? I want to invest in one for less mess and use not just for motoroil, but maybe using it to bleed brakes or change transmission fluid. What brands do yall recommend?

Originally Posted by mpack88
Do any of yall use oil extractors? I want to invest in one for less mess and use not just for motoroil, but maybe using it to bleed brakes or change transmission fluid. What brands do yall recommend?

I have and love the one from OEM Tools just wish I had bought the bigger one. It makes things so much easier without the mess.

I have a Mityvac MV7300 & like it, But it's pneumatic. I installed a 1/4" ball valve so I can shut the air off to the orifice without unhooking the air hose. I use it solely for trans pan evacuation as it's a little big/cumbersome for brake/clutch bleeding. I use the MV6835 for that.

Plea 6000. Going strong for 15+ years.

I use it every chance I can. Even if you don't use it for a car, they're wonderful for lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.

I have the mityvac 7201. Only had it for a few months. I don't use it for engine motor oil of all things. I've used it on non serviceable transmissions with a fill plug only (ford) and for rear differential filling. Works well. Can't comment on long term durability.

Cleaning is kind of hard though, I've been running 99% alcohol through it to clean it out.

I don't remember the brand of my extractor, but I use it often and highly recommend getting one. I don't think it would work so well for bleeding brakes, but It's great for all kinds of stuff from small gas engines, automatic transmissions, differentials, power steering, inboard boat drive units and the like.

I should get an extractor myself. I always try my best to be as clean as possible but I still make a mess when I pour the used oil into a jug. If I get an oil extractor, I won't have to get under the cars to drain the oil since the Audi A3 and the MB CLA250 has their oil filter on top. As much as I love to work on cars, I hate when I get dirty. I'm the clean type of mechanic. I hate the feeling when my hands have chemicals like oils or when I detail a car. I always wear gloves.

Seems like a reasonable way to keep changing your own oil, especially for those who physically are having a difficult time getting under the vehicle, also useful when skipping a filter change or have a filter that can be reached from above. Heard a lot of Mercedes Benz shops routinely use them. I use an extractor to side-slip some transmission fluid once per year.

Last edited:
There are many, but MityVac seems to be the one people love most.
Make sure your car/pan is set up for this type of extraction, not all pans are suited for this

I've been using one from Harbor Freight...does ok I guess but i'm sure there are better out there

Originally Posted by ajchien

Cleaning is kind of hard though, I've been running 99% alcohol through it to clean it out.

I bought a cheap (~$15 I think) garden sprayer for filling, so I don't need to clean.
I retrofitted a short piece of 3/8" hose on it, to which the Mityvac tubing attaches.

Any brand generic fuel pump with 12v alligator clips and some aquarium tubing or generic black small diameter rubber or silicone tubing works fine. mounted an old ford fuel pump to a 1x6 flat board and it does transmissions, lawn mowers, car brake fluids etc....

Here is the one I have. It is very inexpensive and probably not as well built as a MightyVac. However it has lasted me at least 6 years and does not work on any of my cars as it does not get enough oil out through the dipstick. usually about a quart. It has been great for power steering fluid, transmission fluid - about 3-4 qts, bleeding brakes. For bleeding brakes you just find the right size tube that fits the bleeder nipple. put a wrench on the nipple that is narrow enough to allow the tubing to fit on the end. open brake fluid reservoir, open vacuum valve on oil extractor then crack nipple. bleeds pretty quick and be careful not to suck too much and dry brake reservoir.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-...H1c3cbVKpwMd5qcyHajq7NApSzsaAhUjEALw_wcB

Last edited:
i have an old HF one that runs off my air compressor. it was great when i had the BMW as i did not need to get under it to change oil. these days i use it mainly for vacuum break bleeding , which it work well at. won't work on the current vehicle i have as the suction tube is too thick and won't get into the dipstick hole.

so before you buy one to change oil with , make sure it fits the dipstick hole

a waste of $$ for simple oil changes, but may be helpful for tranny + differentials. i change engine oil HOT + lift the vehicle according to get the drain plug as low as possible, + dont be in a hurry if possible letting as much as dirty oil drain.

Back