Is anyone using VW502.00 (or other spec etc.) instead of VW508.00 in a newer VW?

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I ask because i've been placed into the position of having to do so because VIOC significantly overfilled my Passat this weekend and i did not realize it until Sunday (thread link below). So i drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W-40 (VW502.00 and VW505.00). I've only driven about 35 miles since the change and noticed nothing different although i know i will take a small MPG hit versus the VW508.00 0W-20.

Leaving warranty discussion out of this, what if any differences should i notice during this OCI?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ctor-oil-change-way-overfill#Post5401810

Originally Posted by wemay
I ask because i've been placed into the position of having to do so because VIOC significantly overfilled my Passat this weekend and i did not realize it until Sunday (thread link below). So i drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W-40 (VW505.00). I've only driven about 35 miles since the change and noticed nothing different although i know i will take a small MPG hit versus the VW508.00 0W-20.

Leaving warranty discussion out of this, what if any differences should i notice during this OCI?

Mobil1 0W40 is VW 502.00 too. 505.00 is OLD specification.
Personally, I would leave 0W40 in and never looked back.

Added the 502 in an edit. Thanks.

Yes, that's the opinion of a few folks i've asked. Even the VW tuner near me, NOVITECH who also does routine VW/AUDI maintenance.

Yes, that's the opinion of a few folks i've asked. Even the VW tuner near me, NOVITECH who also does routine VW/AUDI maintenance.

Though, I would go with Castrol 0W40.

Originally Posted by edyvw

At the time i was looking, there was no Castrol 0W40 available. I've always thought the difference between these two is like splitting hair.

At the time i was looking, there was no Castrol 0W40 available. I've always thought the difference between these two is like splitting hair.

How dare you? Difference between Mobil1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 is BITOG difference! It is the most important measurement of quality!

I better get my last words in before i get temporary suspension for the infraction. Lol.

I better get my last words in before i get temporary suspension for the infraction. Lol.

On serious note, as everyone pretty much knows here, I would run Mobil1 0W40 any day over 0W20 in that engine. Actually, if I had that Passat, I would change oil immediately after bringing it to my garage.

Last edited:
But seriously,

I also ask because i have more 0W40 meant for the Santa Fe 2.0T, but have Shell Rotella GT i can use for that vehicle as well. So if i decide to, the 0W40 can go into the Passat in the future.

But seriously,

I also ask because i have more 0W40 meant for the Santa Fe 2.0T, but have Shell Rotella GT i can use for that vehicle as well. So if i decide to, the 0W40 can go into the Passat in the future.

EA888 is designed around VW504.00/507.00 and VW502.00 oils in mind. 0W20 is CAFE driven.

thumbsup2.gif
, although i read on other forums that the "new oil-pump" may have something to do with it.

On serious note, as everyone pretty much knows here, I would run Mobil1 0W40 any day over 0W20 in that engine. Actually, if I had that Passat, I would change oil immediately after bringing it to my garage.

I did a couple early changes. The first with 508 and now this one with 502.

Hmmm, I'm picking up a new Jetta this week that is spec'd for 508.00 I think my first two maintenance visits are covered by VW though.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Hmmm, I'm picking up a new Jetta this week that is spec'd for 508.00 I think my first two maintenance visits are covered by VW though.

Nothing wrong with the 508 oils, they appear to be pretty stout 0W20. But the choice is yours

wemay, I think you will be fine running 0W-40. I do agree with edyvw in that I would prefer Castrol to Mobil, but that's nit. Importantly, you live in Florida. 0W-40 will be thinner in a Florida winter than a 0W-20 will be in a frigid -20 degree Minnesota winter!

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
wemay, I think you will be fine running 0W-40. I do agree with edyvw in that I would prefer Castrol to Mobil, but that's nit. Importantly, you live in Florida. 0W-40 will be thinner in a Florida winter than a 0W-20 will be in a frigid -20 degree Minnesota winter!

Scott

91°f here today 🌞

Scott

91°f here today 🌞

Roaches, humidity and potential 90 degrees in April is why I am not coming back to live to Southeast.

Scott

91°f here today 🌞

Roaches, humidity and potential 90 degrees in April is why I am not coming back to live to Southeast.

Hahaha, it's funny you mention these reasons. I enjoy the heat. But although I'm afraid of no* critters (I've collected and bred various snakes, lizards, Tarantulas and Scorpion) I'm TERRIFIED OF BIG FLYING ROACHES. And yes, we do get them on occasion.

Scott

91°f here today 🌞

It has been breezing and in the 70's for the past three weeks. IJS,

I ask because i've been placed into the position of having to do so because VIOC significantly overfilled my Passat this weekend and i did not realize it until Sunday (thread link below). So i drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W-40 (VW502.00 and VW505.00). I've only driven about 35 miles since the change and noticed nothing different although i know i will take a small MPG hit versus the VW508.00 0W-20.

WAIT...You started a thread saying you used Valvoline 0w20 which was overfilled and then 2-3 days later you drained it and put in 0w40?

Why in the world didn't you add the 508 oil back minus the overfill amount?

Last edited:
Back