Kirkland 0W-20 at local Costco

Just a heads up - I was able to buy the 0W-20 Kirkland oil at my local Costco last week for $25 / 10 quarts. I had not seen this weight in the store previously and it has taken Y E A R S for Costco to even carry 0W-20 from Mobil 1 or other brands in store from my experience. Maybe someone is finally looking at sales charts?

Anyway, I had to previously order this from the website and it was $30 plus tax, free shipping. Not a bad deal and about the same price, just not available to me "Right now!!" Not that I needed it, it went straight on the shelf.

BTW, I am only using this because I was able to start using it in our new Highlander at the 2nd oil change (5,000 miles). I'm not going to switch from Mobil 1 in my Tundra that has been using that since new (116k miles).

"BTW, I am only using this because I was able to start using it in our new Highlander at the 2nd oil change (5,000 miles). I'm not going to switch from Mobil 1 in my Tundra that has been using that since new (116k miles)."

Why not?

I saw a sale ad starting April 20th that it was $3 off the 2 jug package, making it an even better deal.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
I saw a sale ad starting April 20th that it was $3 off the 2 jug package, making it an even better deal.

So basically $11 per 5qt? That's insane.

Originally Posted by csandste

Why not?

Well, for one, there's too many intelligent and well-experienced mechanics that advise against changing brands of oils after you've practiced using one brand/additive pack. Two - Mobil 1 is a great oil, my UOAs have proved it many times over 3 vehicles.

If you and the whole gang at BITOG who don't have a problem mixing add packs and also have years of experience and knowledge tearing down and repairing engines want to come together and fund an account for any engine failures for the life of my truck, I'll change for you.

I can afford the extra cost and in the grand scheme of things won't be that much for continued service from Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by thooks

Why not?

Two - Mobil 1 is a great oil, my UOAs have proved it many times over 3 vehicles.

If you and the whole gang at BITOG who don't have a problem mixing add packs and also have years of experience and knowledge tearing down and repairing engines want to come together and fund an account for any engine failures for the life of my truck, I'll change for you.

M1 has engine failure guarantees for life of the vehicle?
Where do I sign up?

Just a heads up - I was able to buy the 0W-20 Kirkland oil at my local Costco last week for $25 / 10 quarts. I had not seen this weight in the store previously and it has taken Y E A R S for Costco to even carry 0W-20 from Mobil 1 or other brands in store from my experience. Maybe someone is finally looking at sales charts?

Anyway, I had to previously order this from the website and it was $30 plus tax, free shipping. Not a bad deal and about the same price, just not available to me "Right now!!" Not that I needed it, it went straight on the shelf.

BTW, I am only using this because I was able to start using it in our new Highlander at the 2nd oil change (5,000 miles). I'm not going to switch from Mobil 1 in my Tundra that has been using that since new (116k miles).

Lots of Mobil-1 fans here that won't switch for the lifetime of their vehicles. I've seen your most recent UOA here....... it's good.

I guess if I were to pick out a Warren product to use in my wife's new Kia Soul at 5K, I'd go with Warren Oil, instead of Warren Distribution. NAPA near me offers Warren's Mag-1 label. We've seen a few different UOAs from Warren Oil here that are all filled with rave reviews from members here. I know our nearby Meijer stores has Warren Oil, as does Rural King stores scattered around a bunch of states. That Warren label is Harvest King Oil.

Originally Posted by Danno

Why not?

Two - Mobil 1 is a great oil, my UOAs have proved it many times over 3 vehicles.

M1 has engine failure guarantees for life of the vehicle?
Where do I sign up?

Shell has a warranty on Pennzoil products, but honestly it's a warranty that covers "lubrication failures" and I haven't read the fine print but I'm sure it's an almost worthless "warranty"

Why not?

Well, for one, there's too many intelligent and well-experienced mechanics that advise against changing brands of oils after you've practiced using one brand/additive pack. Two - Mobil 1 is a great oil, my UOAs have proved it many times over 3 vehicles.

I can afford the extra cost and in the grand scheme of things won't be that much for continued service from Mobil 1.

There's also tens of thousands of vehicles purring happily into six digits on the odometer that get whatever's on sale put into the sump each oil change, that refute the old tale that says to stay with the same brand and formulation for the life of the vehicle. Many of these high mileage rides also have been getting a fram or generic filter at the same time!!

Can't complain about the price. UOA after UOA proves that Warren synthetic hangs with any of them. It took years for the Sam's Club by me to stock 5w-20. I guess they assumed no one drives a Ford.

I completely understand the M-1 fan's' point of view. I and my family have turned in some spectacularly long-lived results with not necessarily famously durable cars.

I've about decided that Mobil 1 has a detergent pack that really sets them apart.

Didn't you recently have a 2012 Chevy Colorado in your signature? Is it gone? I still have my 2004.... until mid-summer. Then my 18 year-old grandson is getting it for college treks

Originally Posted by 64bawagon

Where did you see this ad?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Why not?

There's also tens of thousands of vehicles purring happily into six digits on the odometer that get whatever's on sale put into the sump each oil change, that refute the old tale that says to stay with the same brand and formulation for the life of the vehicle. Many of these high mileage rides also have been getting a fram or generic filter at the same time!!

This is VERY TRUE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CKN
You can walk on the opposite, other side of the fence and see truth also.
I hate it - when everyone here is right.
11.gif

a lot of mechanics don't know anything about oil besides the fact that it's important to have it in the engine. i work at a parts store that services both real shops and shadetree mobile mechanics. the ridiculous things they believe about oil drives me nuts. one of them being that you can't switch brands or oil types. although these people might be great mechanics that can fix anything on the car, doesn't mean they are experts in motor oil. besides, motor oil technology changes quickly... while most of them have been mechanics for years and don't pay attention to that stuff.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Didn't you recently have a 2012 Chevy Colorado in your signature? Is it gone? I still have my 2004.... until mid-summer. Then my 18 year-old grandson is getting it for college treks

Nothing wrong with WPP or Super Tech. Mag1 is blended I believe by WPP. It's not bad oil either

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Nothing wrong with WPP or Super Tech. Mag1 is blended I believe by WPP. It's not bad oil either

Mag1 is WPP's retail brand.

I guess if I were to pick out a Warren product to use in my wife's new Kia Soul at 5K, I'd go with Warren Oil, instead of Warren Distribution. NAPA near me offers Warren's Mag-1 label.

Spoiler: MAG 1 Is made by Warren Distribution. I tried linking their website to MAG 1 but you cannot go to it any more. They have completely changed their website and not for the good.

Back