How do you lube your oil filter gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't. The VW Dealer changes my oil now.
Actually I drive so infrequent, they wont be changing my oil again before I turn in my lease.

Oops!

I forgot I change the oil on the wife's Subaru.
Now that she is at at 9-10K mile intervals , I forgot all about that.

I like to use a lick of the new oil.

Also an oz or two goes in the filter - which can be tricky with a full jug,

My oil change pan is pretty groadie and has stuff floating in there like bugs and twigs and leaves.

Don't want to pull oil out of there, It would just be improper!

Clean oil from the inside of the cap from the oil jug. I put a little on the threads of the filter too.

I carefully extract the sealing gasket and send it to a company in Pennsylvania which "treats" it to a coating which not only helps effect a great seal (never had a leak) but lets the gasket break free when OC time comes.

They say it's better than plain oil.

The price is $11.95. They provide leak proof mailers and pay postage both ways. The returned gasket comes in a sealed, crinkly plastic envelope so you can have 'em ready ahead of time.

I just dip the new filter in my drain pan just enough to wet the o-ring. Or I'll run my finger through the stream of oil as it drains from the pan and rub it on the new filter o-ring. Anyone making a big deal between new oil and old oil, just for lubing up the O-ring has too much time on their hands in my opinion.

rub a little on gasket with my finger usually clean oil , if I remember I do the threads

Ditto that

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Clean oil from the inside of the cap from the oil jug. I put a little on the threads of the filter too.

Originally Posted by Kira
I carefully extract the sealing gasket and send it to a company in Pennsylvania which "treats" it to a coating which not only helps effect a great seal (never had a leak) but lets the gasket break free when OC time comes.

They say it's better than plain oil.

The price is $11.95. They provide leak proof mailers and pay postage both ways. The returned gasket comes in a sealed, crinkly plastic envelope so you can have 'em ready ahead of time.

Treated with Slick-50? MMO?

Originally Posted by Tman220
I just dip the new filter in my drain pan just enough to wet the o-ring. ..... Anyone making a big deal between new oil and old oil, just for lubing up the O-ring has too much time on their hands in my opinion.

THIS ^^^

Clean or used oil, doesn't make a difference unless the used oil has solid chunks in it, and then you have larger problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back