Any problems with 5.3 AFE in Tahoe/Suburban?

I'm looking to get the last generation Tahoe, 2010-13 year range. We all know the 5.3 w/AFE in Silverados/Sierras in the same era were having problems, but I haven't heard a lot of problems with Tahoes/subs. Aren't they sharing the same engine? Maybe people who drive Tahoes/subs always keep up with oil changes?
27.gif

I'll be using this Tahoe as a part-time daily and tow a 4500lb travel trailer. I was originally looking at the Silverado with the 4.8 (no AFE) but Tahoe will fit into my garage nicely. Should I stick with the 4.8?

They share the same engines for the most part, All the 5.3L engines put in GMT900 trucks/SUV's have AFM (LMG, LC9, & LY5)

2009 was the last year for the 4.8L (LY2) & 4L60E in a Tahoe.

AFM issues seem to be luck of the draw & wouldn't say one engine or platform is more or less susceptible than the other.

If you want more assurance that the AFM will work properly buy a 2014 up model. They changed the system and apparently it's more reliable. From what I recall they went to a higher oil pressure, (70 psi vs 40 psi), made the oil pressure variable using an electronic controller, the lifter system was redesigned, they asked for 0w20 oil, and reduced to OLM from 10,000 miles to 7,000 miles. The oil choice and change interval is up to you.
smile.gif

It's hit or miss, you'll either have lifter failure or you won't. Some people claim lack of maintenance, some don't. It's really hard to tell.

GM sells hundreds of thousands more Silverados/Sierras than Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons, so you're going to see a larger number of pickups with the problem than SUVs.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If you want more assurance that the AFM will work properly buy a 2014 up model. They changed the system and apparently it's more reliable. From what I recall they went to a higher oil pressure, (70 psi vs 40 psi), made the oil pressure variable using an electronic controller, the lifter system was redesigned, they asked for 0w20 oil, and reduced to OLM from 10,000 miles to 7,000 miles. The oil choice and change interval is up to you.
smile.gif

Actually it was fixed towards the end of the 2011 model year. That's when they put in the new valve covers. I had a 2011, 2012, and 2018 w/the 5.3.

Originally Posted by CKN
smile.gif

Actually it was fixed towards the end of the 2011 model year. That's when they put in the new valve covers. I had a 2011, 2012, and 2018 w/the 5.3.

This an important issue. Do you have any backup?

My understanding it was OCT of 2014 that the updates were made. My Caprice had them built at the end of OCT 2014.
I don't think I have seen an AFM/DOD failure on a 14 and up Caprice, but I have seen it on 11 to 13 Some go 150,000 miles and 10,000 idle hours without issue
some do not.

Originally Posted by CKN
smile.gif

This an important issue. Do you have any backup?

The Valve Cover & AFM Relief Valve Shield was to address oil consumption. AFM lifter locking pin issues still happened on some engines.

Locking pin issues are now cropping up on Gen V engines, I thought they had it fixed also 'til some '14/'15 models started racking up mileage. I really don't think this technology can be 100% perfected, Just like VVT/VCT Phasers......Have a small pin mechanically lock & unlock a few 100,000 times & something is bound to wear.

I have a 2008 Silverado LY5 5.3L with AFM. I have 101k on it with 0 issues. Have owned it since 23k miles and it has burned about 1/2qt of Synthetic every 5k miles the entire time I have owned it.

The amount of AFM issues on GM trucks is far less common than the Phaser/Timing chain issues on for 5.4L engines of the same era.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another AFM LS powered GM truck or SUV.

Good to know … both of mine are pretty young at 33k/20k and are seamless with the AFM

Originally Posted by 4WD
Good to know … both of mine are pretty young at 33k/20k and are seamless with the AFM

I just turned 83K miles on my 2016 today. AFM is still working seamless.

The AFM system in all the GMT900 based trucks and SUV's with Gen. IV LS based 4.8L and 5.3L engines is problematic. It only happens on a small number of engines but can be a very expensive fix if it does happen. It's the biggest flaw with the engines that are overall very reliable especially when viewed against comparable engines of the time like Ford's problematic 4.6L and 5.4L Modular V8's. GM's Active Fuel Management system problems aren't unique as Chrysler's similar Multi-Displacement System (MDS) is also quite problematic as well.

I think the GMT900 era Silverado's and Tahoe's are a big improvement over the previous GMT800 vehicles and most are at a great point on the depreciation curve but given the spotty reliability I'd suggest buying the newest and best cared for example you can.

The 4.8L never had AFM. I realize this is only my opinion....But, I can't think of one single major improvement the GMT900 has over the GMT800 other than the availability of a 6 speed auto starting in 2009 for the 5.3L (From the start for the 6.2L).....The 4.8L & 4.3L was regulated to the 4L60E only.

GMT900 cons.....
Hard plastic door panels
Upper dash panel cracks
Front Struts, It's a Truck, Not a CUV.
Broken wiring from reduced wire gauges throughout the vehicle.
Corrugated split loom that completely disintegrates from underhood heat.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The 4.8L never had AFM. I realize this is only my opinion....But, I can't think of one single major improvement the GMT900 has over the GMT800 other than the availability of a 6 speed auto starting in 2009 for the 5.3L (From the start for the 6.2L).....The 4.8L & 4.3L was regulated to the 4L60E only.

GMT900 cons.....
Hard plastic door panels
Upper dash panel cracks

Don't forget about the airbag light constantly coming on due to the crappy connectors on the seatbelt pretensioners and OCS sensor.

Ive cleaned quite a few and packed with electrical grease with no comebacks but I believe the approved repair is a new pigtail connector.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

GMT900 cons.....
Hard plastic door panels
Upper dash panel cracks

GM went cheap out after bankrupt. I would not hesitate to buy a GMT800 but too bad I live in the rust belt...

Originally Posted by GMguy84
I have a 07 suburban with the 5.3 with the AFM. Right after I bought it, I got this device that plugs into OBD port and tricks ECM to keep it on 8cyl mode. After several months its been working fine NO issues, Its NOT a 100% fix but sure helps
thumbsup2.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technology-Active-Management-Disable

Also There is a complete disable kit for these engines but its $$$$$$$$$$$$ parts and labor

[Linked Image]

Dave

Thanks for the great info Dave, I never know that an OBD delete kit would be pretty expensive too. If I'm buying a high mileage 5.3 wouldn't that be a bit late to use it?

Originally Posted by Jake_J
The AFM system in all the GMT900 based trucks and SUV's with Gen. IV LS based 4.8L and 5.3L engines is problematic. It only happens on a small number of engines but can be a very expensive fix if it does happen. It's the biggest flaw with the engines that are overall very reliable especially when viewed against comparable engines of the time like Ford's problematic 4.6L and 5.4L Modular V8's. GM's Active Fuel Management system problems aren't unique as Chrysler's similar Multi-Displacement System (MDS) is also quite problematic as well.

I think the GMT900 era Silverado's and Tahoe's are a big improvement over the previous GMT800 vehicles and most are at a great point on the depreciation curve but given the spotty reliability I'd suggest buying the newest and best cared for example you can.

That's what I'm worried about, if it happens it's a very pricy fix, and can only be done in a professional shop.

Originally Posted by PotatoFarmer77w

GM went cheap out after bankrupt. I would not hesitate to buy a GMT800 but too bad I live in the rust belt...

The GMT900 was already in production before that. I bought my GMT800 in December of 2006 & a ton of 2007 Tahoe's were on the lot.

Back