How to recognize original shell?

Hi,
I wonder how to recognize the original shell helix ultra. I bought this oil from local autoparts dealer.
When I scan the QR code from the bottle it drives me to shell original page. What can we see from the pics?

20200411_134345.jpg

20200411_134319.jpg

20200411_134308.jpg

20200411_134350.jpg

there's always the sniff and taste test.. the ferrari logo confirms it's no fake "jk".

where did you purchase this from that it makes you question its authenticity?

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
there's always the sniff and taste test.. the ferrari logo confirms it's no fake "jk".

where did you purchase this from that it makes you question its authenticity?

He's in Croatia .... There's no telling if it's counterfeit or not.

Then there's the people that keep the bottles original, but trade out the liquid inside.
Like that dude that got vegetable oil in his Mobil 1 container and put it in his Lexus.

ORBICO is importer of original Shell oil in HR, BIH, SRB... if it is imported and distribudted by ORBICO it is 100% original.

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
ORBICO is importer of original Shell oil in HR, BIH, SRB... if it is imported and distribudted by ORBICO it is 100% original.
(Your Signature)
Car: KIA Ceed JD 1.4 MPI
OIL: 5w30 ACEA A5 / A3; 5w40 ACEA A3; 0w40 ACEA A3

Been here almost 16 years. I never heard of the oil in your Signature. Who sells the brand name called ACEA?
If that's merely the cert mention, then what oils do you use in 0/5w30/40? I (obviously) sense it's SOPUS, judging by your reply / familiarity.

No reason i can see that would indicate a counterfeit product. Its fairly old stock though - oct 2016 and as an ACEA A3/B4 oil it is not designed for diesels with exhaust after-treatment like DPF.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Then there's the people that keep the bottles original, but trade out the liquid inside.
Like that dude that got vegetable oil in his Mobil 1 container and put it in his Lexus.

This is easy to do. Just heat the top with very hot water and stretch it out with a couple of picks.

They jam the lid on somehow, with it loose, warm, and with its wedge-angled threads.

That's terrible I've been blessed never have I purchased oil that been swapped out with vegetable oil.

here is the same problem with counterfeit products. all major (motul, castrol, shell, mobil etc) brands have lots of counterfeits circulating the market. especially when one buys online (cheaper than petrolstation)

wish the oil vendors included some sort of hologram stickers.

Last edited:
wanted to buy a shell helix ultra ect c3. i roamed 4 shell petrolstations and they didn't have it. so i said the hell with it and bought a 5 litre jug online.

there are some points that makes me feel suspicious:

• the rear label does not have a "peel here" sign and it does not peel off to reveal the second page. i dont know if it is a feature of this oil.
  • the rear label uses 2 different abbreviations for greek language. EL and GR. shouldnt it just be either EL or GR?
  • the oil level indicating slit has some slight curvature between 2nd and 3rd notch
  • notches do not have any marking (L, cc, mL etc.) there is only one L on the bottom.
  • i opened the lid and there was no hologram or any print. i i dont know if it is a feature of this oil.
am i being paranoid?

Have the same thoughts with my 0w30 AV-L 5L jug...

Its 2020 (stamp on a jug)....but the front label is not the "pure plus" one but the old one from times before GTL...?

Info is from a 3 year old video - so may or may not be accurate - also is for Russia and the 5W-40 Ultra. Link to the video below, no updates for this year, but your oil seems to be of the vintage. The cap on the original must be "sparkly" on the outside, check for verification codes(if available in you country). Check below video(s) for some stuff I missed, as my Russian is average at best.

Back