Put in Valvoline Euro VW508.00 0W-20 in the Passat today

wemay

Site Donor 2023
...along with a Valvoline VO117 oil filter. It was done at my local VIOC (see, post your last oil change for details). You sit in the car and can see everything being done and how careful they were at doing it. Very good service. Anyway, the old oil was only in for a confirmed 1500 miles, the car has 10804 total miles. It was still very clear going through the extractor tube which surprised everyone. The new oil was also green. These vw508.00 oils are very very smooth.

Pretty bored so wanted to share a couple thoughts.

Any specific reason for a 1500 miles oil change?
Sounds like the old oil was also a synthetic 0W20 ...

Does your new oil have a high amounts of moly?

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Any specific reason for a 1500 miles oil change?
Sounds like the old oil was also a synthetic 0W20 ...

Does your new oil have a high amounts of moly?

I always do a couple short changes before 10k on new vehicles or within the first 10k of ownership on new to me ones. I doubt there's any benefit but old habits...

I haven't seen any composition (msds, pds or voa) on this Valvoline but do know it's specific approvals are as seen below.

Screenshot_20200412-065854_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Originally Posted by wemay

...It was still very clear going through the extractor tube which surprised everyone.

Old oil was extracted, or drained? Don't understand the above. Thanks.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
1500 mi OC.

Maybe your third OCI ?

Time for Oiler's Anonymous

Lol.
First was the dealership before I purchased. It was a demo. Then I've done two.

Originally Posted by tc1446

...It was still very clear going through the extractor tube which surprised everyone.

Old oil was extracted, or drained? Don't understand the above. Thanks.

Extracted

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would buy a used car from you. Keep up the good work!

thumbsup2.gif

You've got to be Joeking!

Actually me too, I would buy WEMAY car(s) But not a VW
smile.gif

Seen a few CARFAX where a Lexus LS460 had maybe 2 oil changes in 47K miles!

Better three in 10K than two in 47K.

I know .... I know; if you do it yourself and you don't fill in the owner maintenance on CARFAX it wont show up.

But not some 85 Y.O guy in FLA living in a restricted HOA situation.

Of BTW I could strongly dislike HOA.

They seem so "Un-American"

I don't always let someone else change my oil, but when I do, it's Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

You are right, very meticulous, good polite service, and you can sit right there and watch them do the work. I have had them do a couple of tranny services too.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around 0w20 in a VW though.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I don't always let someone else change my oil, but when I do, it's Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

You are right, very meticulous, good polite service, and you can sit right there and watch them do the work. I have had them do a couple of tranny services too.

Check the link above. It has 0W-40 in it now. This was my first bad experience with VIOC as they put in 7.5 qts in a 5.9 qt sump. So I drained and refilled with what I had on hand - M1 0W-40.

Something is off with that Valvoline claiming it is ok for Diesels and TDi's when they require the 507 spec and MIN of 30WT. I would never use a 20WT oil in a diesel. the 508/509 oils were only spec'd for Gasoline engines to my knowledge.

Check the link above. It has 0W-40 in it now. This was my first bad experience with VIOC as they put in 7.5 qts in a 5.9 qt sump. So I drained and refilled with what I had on hand - M1 0W-40.

That's bizarre, how did that happen I wonder? They usually pull and show me the stick when they're done.

That's bizarre, how did that happen I wonder? They usually pull and show me the stick when they're done.

Here too, and it looked good on the stick when they showed me. It's pretty safe to assume they didn't extract all the oil to begin with. I don't hold a grudge as they've always done a great job. I'll just remind them in the rare instance i do use them in the future since they've since apologized and offered me a free future change.

Took my son on a 150 mile drive along Alligator Alley to see gators and fish. Some time into the trip I realized the car felt normal on the 40, sluggishness gone. BTW, we saw tons of pike and probably 30 gators.

Back