2019 Jeep Rubicon OEM Air Filter [11,000 Miles]

While working to install the UPR catch can yesterday, I noticed how dusty the engine bay was and remembered that I had been in dusty situations many times since buying it. I decided to swap it out today with a WIX WA10841. It was moderately dirty and there was very fine dust down inside the pleats. Sadly, I have to say that Mann+Hummel has changed the composition of the filter media since taking over WIX and it not as good as the "old" media which had a darker color and was very slightly oiled. In addition, M+H is also making the OEM Mopar filters and as you can see they are identical in every way. This will be my last WIX and I will look to Afe for the next filter.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image from iili.io]

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Originally Posted by loneryder
Is the Mann changed...or the WIX?
It seems like both the OEM Mopar and the WIX are now using Mann (aka Purolator) media. The MC air filters I have used in the past had this same type of media and the WIX (old ones) always dropped my silicon levels dramatically versus the MC filter. The WIX media (when it was just WIX) had a much darker amber color versus the manila color of the filters I posted above.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Check eBay. There all over the place $21 and up, some free shipping, some not.
For Afe or WIX filters? Most of the Afe filters are in the $60-$75 range, but they are reusable and are very good at trapping dirt while still flowing extremely well.

Looks like it trapped alot of crap, to me. How did the intake cover and tube downstream of the filter look? If clean, then it did its job. I pulled a Mopar filter after a VERY dusty trip to Moab and it looked like that, but the intake box lid and tube downstream of the filter the filter looked very good and dust free.

I think I have a Wix in mine, now, and the pleats seem thicker or more dense than the Mopar. Maybe it is a Wix Gold or premium?

Let's see the other side of that dirty filter. Bet it looks much better than that side, for sure!

As for the AFE, are you talking cotton? I'd doubt that any cotton filter will filter as well as the paper Wix or Mopar, thin as they may appear.

Who else is making filters now for the Jeep JL 3.6? I have contacted Fram and they don't have one yet and could tell me no ETA, either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
It seems like both the OEM Mopar and the WIX are now using Mann (aka Purolator) media. The MC air filters I have used in the past had this same type of media and the WIX (old ones) always dropped my silicon levels dramatically versus the MC filter. The WIX media (when it was just WIX) had a much darker amber color versus the manila color of the filters I posted above.

Do you have some old Wix filters for this specific application that had the thicker, better media? Or, are you comparing these filters to Wix air filters for other applications? My point is that Wix reboxes some air filters from other manufacturers to fill in the application gaps. All air filter manufacturers do this, I am told here at BITOG.

I just looked and the one I've got in my Jeep right now is a Napa Gold, so I think it is the same. I ran the Mopar in Moab. Like I said, it appeared to stop the dirt. I shook it out and the dust could was pretty impressive.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

Do you have some old Wix filters for this specific application that had the thicker, better media? Or, are you comparing these filters to Wix air filters for other applications? My point is that Wix reboxes some air filters from other manufacturers to fill in the application gaps. All air filter manufacturers do this, I am told here at BITOG.

No, not for this specific application, but in other applications, the media was different. Since the OEM and this one is made by M+H, they seem to be the same media, but that is not the same as the WIX filters prior to the M+H takeover from WIX.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Looks like it trapped alot of crap, to me. How did the intake cover and tube downstream of the filter look? If clean, then it did its job. I pulled a Mopar filter after a VERY dusty trip to Moab and it looked like that, but the intake box lid and tube downstream of the filter the filter looked very good and dust free.

I think I have a Wix in mine, now, and the pleats seem thicker or more dense than the Mopar. Maybe it is a Wix Gold or premium?

Let's see the other side of that dirty filter. Bet it looks much better than that side, for sure!

As for the AFE, are you talking cotton? I'd doubt that any cotton filter will filter as well as the paper Wix or Mopar, thin as they may appear.

Who else is making filters now for the Jeep JL 3.6? I have contacted Fram and they don't have one yet and could tell me no ETA, either.

Not sure, but the WIX Gold and OEM Mopar are identical from my observation. AFE dry flow filters are better at filtering and flow than paper (these are not K&N type filters).

Originally Posted by domer10
I purchased afe, so much better!
[Linked Image]

Which Afe type is it? Pro 5R, Pro Dry S, or Pro Guard 7?

For Afe or WIX filters? Most of the Afe filters are in the $60-$75 range, but they are reusable and are very good at trapping dirt while still flowing extremely well.

Nope for the factory Mopar 68257030AA filter.

Great call on air filter replacement it was needed, I see no problem with the WIX Filter it matches OEM and you should be happy with that! Dont get worked up for no reason.

Originally Posted by Toto
Great call on air filter replacement it was needed, I see no problem with the WIX Filter it matches OEM and you should be happy with that! Dont get worked up for no reason.

+1

I'd go K&N but that's my personal preference. I prefer oiled cotton guaze to dry. I'm sure the AFE will work just fine.

My 2017 takes a Mopar 68257791AA. They made a change.

Originally Posted by totegoat

My 2017 takes a Mopar 68257791AA. They made a change.

A 2017 is a JK; they changed to the JL in 2018-- that is probably the reason.

Not sure, but the WIX Gold and OEM Mopar are identical from my observation. AFE dry flow filters are better at filtering and flow than paper (these are not K&N type filters).

What is the media in the AFE? Cotton? Link to filtering efficiency data?

What is the media in the AFE? Cotton? Link to filtering efficiency data?

http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tuning.hu/aemszuroteszt.pdf

AFE 21-40035 is the Dry media
AFE 72-40035 is the ProGuard 7

Back