GM Power Steering Fluid

Changing the PS in my '08 Chevy 3500 Van. Says to use GM part #89021184. I have read it may have been superseded. Any advice?

I'm only gonna use OEM.

If you want to spend about $25 per quart, there's always GM 12345867 / ACDelco 10-5044 Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid. It's a semi-synthetic with a frosty blue-green color. (12345866 is the 16 oz bottle.)

Hard to believe any PS fluid could beat Red Line full synthetic in a hydroboost system-my old '93 GMC actually turned the conventional fluid BLACK and took out the hydroboost, Red Line stayed red and new looking for 10 years after I changed it. I'm going to use it in the Express 3500 in my sig-and RL is actually CHEAPER than the synblend ACDelco from Summit!

GM PSF isn't anything special. Like bullwinkle, My Hydroboost kills PSF pretty quick. I've used Royal Purple MaxEZ & Mobil Delvac 1 ATF in my 2500HD with good results.

It costs more than Redline & Royal Purple. It's cheaper than Amsoil but that's not saying a lot
whistle.gif

I use Lubegard "Red" trans additive when needed, But some of their stuff is nothing short of a gimmick.

I thought GM power steering used Dexron III or VI?

Second the Mobil 1 Delvac ATF, or a TES-295 fluid...

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I thought GM power steering used Dexron III or VI?

Second the Mobil 1 Delvac ATF, or a TES-295 fluid...

Some old GM/Saginaw stuff called for Dexron & Dexron II, But they started speccing PSF before Dexron III came out. Not that you can't run Dexron III or TES-295 in a Saginaw system as it works fine. I've never tried a LV fluid like Dexron VI in any PS system.

Originally Posted by RyanY
89021184 was replaced by GM 19329450, according to GMpartsdirect.com.

Thanks! I always like to have the proper info before going into a dealership where I don't know the parts guys.

I can't help it.
spankme2.gif
As I have gotten older, I have become a 95% OEM guy. The only thing I don't buy at dealership
is my engine oil. Well, I do buy Honda/Acura oil from Acura.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo

Thanks! I always like to have the proper info before going into a dealership where I don't know the parts guys.

I can't help it.
spankme2.gif
As I have gotten older, I have become a 95% OEM guy. The only thing I don't buy at dealership

I also lean toward OEM for many parts! However PS fluid is not one of them...only because I want a universal fluid compatible with GM and Honda, to avoid multiple half-empty bottles on the shelf.

BTW that GM part number (19329450) is for the 16 oz bottle of PS fluid. If you want the 32 oz bottle it is 19329488. ACDelco part numbers are 10-5073 for the 32 oz and 10-5074 for the 16 oz. Interestingly both sizes are about the same price on Amazon!

Originally Posted by Gebo

I can't help it.
spankme2.gif

I also lean toward OEM for many parts! However PS fluid is not one of them...only because I want a universal fluid compatible with GM and Honda, to avoid multiple half-empty bottles on the shelf.

BTW that GM part number (19329450) is for the 16 oz bottle of PS fluid. If you want the 32 oz bottle it is 19329488. ACDelco part numbers are 10-5073 for the 32 oz and 10-5074 for the 16 oz. Interestingly both sizes are about the same price on Amazon!

Awesome! Thanks!

All my cars use Dex lll. This is for church van and parts mgr normally gives me stuff like this for free because he knows it's for a church

Last edited:
Back