Thicker oil in my Jeep.

I've been considering running a thicker oil in my jeep to help with burning and to help it run smoother. I am just very hesitant to do so but I have added lucas to it in the past and it did help with the oil burning. I understand lucas is "snake oil" and has almost no additives and is changing my viscosity and weight anyways. It take 5w20 currently. I used to put about a 1/4 a quart of the lucas in. What viscosity and weight do you think that would make it after that?

Originally Posted by PimTac
There was a thread recently on this very subject.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...cas-modern-engine-stabilizer#Post5382408

Oh wait, you started that thread too.

Yeah, the purpose of that thread was something different. If you don't have anything to add please don't comment. If my posts bother you then don't look at them. A lot of people are stuck at home right now. I know I've gotten on here more than once for some sort of entertainment. Might as well post something to keep others entertained too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
What year is the Jeep? The 3.8 can use 5w30 and even a 10w30 as it is an old school push rod engine.

2010 jeep commander 3.7 with 180,000

Don't cut corners and go full 20W-50. Used it a lot in my old 4.0 L to make it run "smoother". Good luck.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Originally Posted by PimTac
There was a thread recently on this very subject.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...cas-modern-engine-stabilizer#Post5382408

Oh wait, you started that thread too.

Yeah, the purpose of that thread was something different. If you don't have anything to add please don't comment. If my posts bother you then don't look at them. A lot of people are stuck at home right now. I know I've gotten on here more than once for some sort of entertainment. Might as well post something to keep others entertained too.

Sounds very familiar. Must be tiring to keep reincarnating.

I've been considering running a thicker oil in my jeep to help with burning and to help it run smoother. I am just very hesitant to do so but I have added lucas to it in the past and it did help with the oil burning. I understand lucas is "snake oil" and has almost no additives and is changing my viscosity and weight anyways. It take 5w20 currently. I used to put about a 1/4 a quart of the lucas in. What viscosity and weight do you think that would make it after that?

A more upper-range viscosity 5w30 could help. Quaker State Ultimate and Rotella Gas Truck are about the thickest in 5w30. I think both are well over 11 cst @ 100. Or you can travel over to a Dexos 2 in 5w30 and get Mobil-1 ESP or Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle. Both would serve that 2010 model well too.

Or on the other hand, are you one of these posters that never actually takes any of the advice and applies it (as in buying and using an oil) instead just perpetually ask questions?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
[...

A more upper-range viscosity 5w30 could help. Quaker State Ultimate and Rotella Gas Truck are about the thickest in 5w30. I think both are well over 11 cst @ 100. Or you can travel over to a Dexos 2 in 5w30 and get Mobil-1 ESP or Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle. Both would serve that 2010 model well too.

Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 is also thicker (not the HM EP) at 11.7 Cst, same as RTG...

Back