Torch brand spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a WEN generator (same one that gathermewool bought in this thread).

It comes from the factory with a "Torch" brand spark plug, most likely a chinese clone of NGK.

Is there any reason to change this out for an NGK? The engine ran fine during break in, but I want to make sure I treat it right so it lasts many years.

Me generator ran smoother when I switched out the junk plug. Good plugs are cheap. Go pick up 2-3 and change it out.

I ran the Torch in my other WEN 2kW genny for 4.5 years, though not a lot of hours. Never a problem.

I switched to the NGK 6535 not too long ago, which did seem to make a positive change.

I plan to switch out the Torch plug to the NGK in my new WEN genny and keep a second NGK plug for as a spare.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I bought a WEN generator (same one that gathermewool bought in this thread).

It comes from the factory with a "Torch" brand spark plug, most likely a chinese clone of NGK.

Is there any reason to change this out for an NGK? The engine ran fine during break in, but I want to make sure I treat it right so it lasts many years.

My Troy-Bilt snow blower with the Powermore engine(Chinese) came with a Torch plug. It to ran fine but after reading a lot about the dubious nature of Chinese spark plugs I changed it out for a NGK plug for piece of mind. Ironically the NGK plug cost about $2.50 and a replacement Torch plug was over $7. With the NGK plug it starts on the first pull, the Torch plug took 2 to 3 pulls to start.

Whimsey

Changed mine out for ngk on the HF genset.

Went from torch f6tc to an iridium ngk bpr6eix.

Last edited:
I have two relatively new machines that came with Torch brand plugs. The first was a Champion 3500 watt generator, which never had a problem with the plug. The second was an Ariens Deluze snow blower. That machine would foul the plug every time it ran. I replaced both with the equivalent NGK Iridium plugs and haven't had a problem since.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I have two relatively new machines that came with Torch brand plugs. The first was a Champion 3500 watt generator, which never had a problem with the plug. The second was an Ariens Deluze snow blower. That machine would foul the plug every time it ran. I replaced both with the equivalent NGK Iridium plugs and haven't had a problem since.

I have a new Ariens blower (SHO). I assumed it had an NGK in it and haven't checked. I'll pull it today to check.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I have a new Ariens blower (SHO). I assumed it had an NGK in it and haven't checked. I'll pull it today to check.

Sure enough, it's got a Torch F6RTC. I've ordered an NGK 7131 plug to replace it for $3. I'd better get on that in a hurry, before the next snow storm sneaks up on me...

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Torch=Chinese junk
I have replaced all I have ever seen with NGK

+1

I've re-powered quite a few customer machines with Predator 212cc engines. I always replace the Torch plug with an NGK as part of the re-power. On the first few I did not do this, and they seemed to take more and more pulls to start over time. For the $3 or whatever it costs, I'd rather just do that as extra insurance so they won't have to come back. Haven't had an issue with any of the NGKs I've put in yet.

Sure enough, it's got a Torch F6RTC. I've ordered an NGK 7131 plug to replace it for $3. I'd better get on that in a hurry, before the next snow storm sneaks up on me...
Okay - just curious why you wouldn't spend an extra four bucks for the BPR6EIX Iridium plug. I've been upgrading all of my OPE to Iridium plugs and have been happy with the results. Check back with me in five years if you like, My thoughts are that these will be a better option over the long run.

Okay - just curious why you wouldn't spend an extra four bucks for the BPR6EIX Iridium plug. I've been upgrading all of my OPE to Iridium plugs and have been happy with the results. Check back with me in five years if you like, My thoughts are that these will be a better option over the long run.

At twice the price is it really worth it, considering how long cheap copper Champions last in most power equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back