dedicated drying towel worth the money?

Been using old bath towels for years . they are getting worn out. thinking of splurging and getting a dedicated drying towel. they are not cheap though. recommend me one.

Trolling.gif

Meguiars has a three pack of their basic microfiber that is a very good deal: https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-supreme-shine-microfiber-towel-3pack.html, I bought them from amazon I think for $6-7. Thier waffle weave pattern towel worked wonders for a while, and then within a few months it became just a large normal microfiber. I don't think I'd buy that one again. But if you really want to save money, and don't have a pickup or large SUV, the meguiars three pack will do you fine. Two of them dry my Highlander just fine--one to get most of the water, a second one to get stray bits of water left by the first one. I do have to wring it dry 7-10 times over the course of drying the highlander but that's not a problem. The second one I use doesn't collect enough water to need to be wrung out.

If you want to spend more money, Autogeekonline.net has a Cobra supreme shine 530 towel that is very very abosrbent. This link is for a 3 pack, but they probably have other offers that will sell just one or two. Also, keep in mind that this towel comes in different sizes. https://www.autogeek.net/cobra-530-microfiber-towels.html

That 530 just soaks up the water like there's no tomorrow. A great time saver that I'm especially grateful for when I know I have to wax after the drying. When the first one I had got lost in the garage, I ordered another one to replace it.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Been using old bath towels for years . they are getting worn out. thinking of splurging and getting a dedicated drying towel. they are not cheap though. recommend me one.

Last edited:
I have dedicated microfiber drying towels. I have both the Griots Garage ones and Chemical Guys. If anything dedicating towels to a specific purpose helps mitigate contamination and scratching.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I've been using the same Absorber for over 10 years. Never a scratch because I don't have to drag it across the paint.

That's what I've been using, and they work great.

I used to use Absorber, now using Water Sprite after a recommendation from this forum.. I would recommend some kind of dedicated drying something, maybe not a bath towel, seems too harsh.. but something.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I have dedicated microfiber drying towels. I have both the Griots Garage ones and Chemical Guys. If anything dedicating towels to a specific purpose helps mitigate contamination and scratching.

Agree. I don't own one I've heard great things about the Griots drying towels.

I use cheap bath towels from Walmart. I got black ones so the lint doesn't show so much. They work fine.

Chemical Guy's Wooly Mammoth is my current fav. It is giant (36x25), which makes it pretty heavy when wet and a bear to wring out, but it holds a ton of water.

Waffle weave is great for drying glass.

I suppose you can't get real Chamois any more? Or is it really expensive?
Anyway, I have had a real one for 25 years and it still works fine. Just squeze, don't wring.

Yes there is :
https://www.autogeek.net/searchresults.html?catalog=autogeek&query=Chamois&submit=Go&.autodone=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2F

The water sprite is there too.
For some reason the link won't highlight but you can see where to go.

I used the Absorber for 20+ years but then switched to a leaf blower. Haven't touched the Absorber in recent years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Agree. I don't own one I've heard great things about the Griots drying towels.

They are really nice, I think I got mine on Amazon.

I bought an Absorber rip off from WM and left it outside for a while causing it to start falling apart. It still works well considering. It seemed odd that you wet it before drying. If you don't it has the consistency of a tortilla chip. Still works much better than a regular or microfiber towel.

Back