Stongest Filter Body? 💪

I have a Champion 27ton Log Splitter. The hydraulic oil filter is a spot that makes it vulnerable to being hit by split logs and is also facing upwards.

What's the oil filter with the strongest body? I remember the Royal Purple being pretty beefy but they don't make one for this application. The K&N seem like a close second. What's your thoughts?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Pictures might help.

20200413_094515.jpg

Wow that's a terrible design. I'm surprised it isn't turned 180 degrees so the filter isn't in the flight path of falling logs.

Maybe a box made out of plywood or something that would slip over that while you are using it?

That's a poor place to have something like that.

The Mobil 1 filters I have used in the past feel like the steel is very solid / thick, and there was recently a post here on BITOG where someone cut some filters and commented that the Mobil 1 filer had a thicker case and thicker anti drain back valve by far compared to the other filters he cut.

But a thicker steel case still might not be enough from what I see in your picture. I would rig some kind of protection.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Maybe a box made out of plywood or something that would slip over that while you are using it?

I agree, that's the idea I had. With a strong filter housing as a back up.

The purolator BOSS was supposed to be an oil filter with an unusually thick can.

That really is a 💩 design. Can you weld? If it was me I'd hit the scrap yard and grab a hunk of steel plate 1/8" or so and fab up a shield for that filter. Better yet can you relocate it to someplace safe like underneath towards the rear? That would be by far best though you'd possibly need to make up a small bolt on bracket of sorts. You'd have to mind your other clearances under there for moving it about but it would be much safer from log impact than flyin in the breeze like it is.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by PimTac

I agree, that's the idea I had. With a strong filter housing as a back up.

I think I would concentrate on protecting the filter. No matter the thickness or sturdiness of the body, if a large chunk of wood hits it right the problem would be down at the base. The filter baseplate could come loose from the body or the force could damage the base itself due to the lateral force, especially if the wood hits the filter higher up.

Might be best to relocate the filter.
Add a section of hydraulic hose from the reservoir and mount the filter
next to the pump under the I beam.

If you can find a Bobcat hydraulic filter that fits that would be your best bet. They are tough enough that you cannot cut them open with a filter cutter. But expensive.

Can't tell from looking at the picture, but Is it possible to
relocate the filter?

If not the M1 filter is for sure the strongest can of off the shelf brands

Bosch Distance Plus (if you can find them), then Baldwin (& their HPG/MPG microglass line is actually rated for hydraulic fluid, a bonus). I'm with the other posters, that's a bad design.

Just get or fabricate some u-bolts to hold a piece of metal to cover the filter. If you get a direct hit on the filter, it would probably break off at the base.

Back