Ram 1500 4.7 oil suggestion + filter

What oil would you guys use? I've been using vavoline 5w30 and shell rotella gas truck with a k&n high flow filter. Seems to become brown after 3000 miles every time. I was thinking about giving Amsoil 25k interval a shot to see if it would be any different.

Is the color of the oil bothering you? If it takes 3k miles to turn brown, your doing pretty good. No being a Vavoline fan and hearing good things about Shell oil, I would stick with that. If it were mine I would just use SuperTech synthetic and an OEM filter. Amsoil is very successful in making you wallet lighter.
Edit: for spelling
And: as others have said, oil turning dark is a sign it's doing it's job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Is the color of your oil bothering you? If it takes 3k miles to turn brown, your doing pretty good. No being a Vavoline fan and hearing good things about Shell oil, I would stick with that. If it were mine I would just use SuperTech synthetic an an OEM filter. Amsoil is very successful in making you wallet lighter.

Rotella 5w40 is good from what i've heard. Was thinking of giving it a try also. I bought 2 5 quart vavoline snythetic blend for 28$ at advanced auto parts. Im gonna use that then i'll try out other things next change

Last edited:
Well with the dodge 4.7 running much more that 3000 is a risk due to possible sludge issues. 0W20 is the updated recommendation for oil. Ive been running that in mine for the last 2 changes with no issues. going back to the 5W30 next change for the summer. I might go to 5000 for the next change but will likely just stick to the 3000. 25k would be just crazy IMHO. In the dodge 4.7 not a chance. Just use a good oil however I have been running supertec with no issues.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I run Maxlife in my Jeep 4.7. It's got over 200k miles. No issues at all.

engine still strong? How's oil preasure? Mine goes right to 40 psi

Originally Posted by ThePCMasterRace
What oil would you guys use? I've been using vavoline 5w30 and shell rotella gas truck with a k&n high flow filter. Seems to become brown after 3000 miles every time. I was thinking about giving Amsoil 25k interval a shot to see if it would be any different.

I would save your money on the Amsoil. I'm not a fan of K&N filters. What year is the truck?

Originally Posted by JC1

I would save your money on the Amsoil. I'm not a fan of K&N filters. What year is the truck?

It is a 2009 SLT 4x4

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You bought two five quart jugs of Valv Synblend, then you ask us what to use.
Isn't that backwards? I would ask first - then buy.

I would like to know what to use so my oil quit's darkening all the time. I like to have a nice golden color

I have the 3.7l version of your truck. Essentially the same engine, minus 2 cylinders, and plus a balance shaft.

I do 0w20 Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic, 10k OCI, 20k oil filter intervals (I use the Mobil 1 filter), and I use my truck as a truck. I'm over 200k miles now and still going strong. You shouldn't be getting any sludge issues with a long OCI and a modern synthetic. The 3.7l and 4.7l get a bad rap as sludge monsters because when they hit the market, people decided to use any old 10w30 dino oil in an engine that really needed synthetic oil. The piston rings are really close to the top of the piston, and the drains from the heads are small, making for an engine that can outright cook dino oil.

They also got a bad rap about dropping valve seats, but that really isn't an issue with the later production ones, and for the early ones it isn't an issue unless you overheated the engine.

You need to be less hung up about the color of the oil. The color means diddly squat.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I run Maxlife in my Jeep 4.7. It's got over 200k miles. No issues at all.

engine still strong? How's oil preasure? Mine goes right to 40 psi

Engine is very strong. My oil pressure cold is over 60 and 40 at warm idle. I do 6k OCI.

Originally Posted by Sleepeyes
I have the 3.7l version of your truck. Essentially the same engine, minus 2 cylinders, and plus a balance shaft.

I do 0w20 Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic, 10k OCI, 20k oil filter intervals (I use the Mobil 1 filter), and I use my truck as a truck. I'm over 200k miles now and still going strong. You shouldn't be getting any sludge issues with a long OCI and a modern synthetic. The 3.7l and 4.7l get a bad rap as sludge monsters because when they hit the market, people decided to use any old 10w30 dino oil in an engine that really needed synthetic oil. The piston rings are really close to the top of the piston, and the drains from the heads are small, making for an engine that can outright cook dino oil.

They also got a bad rap about dropping valve seats, but that really isn't an issue with the later production ones, and for the early ones it isn't an issue unless you overheated the engine.

You need to be less hung up about the color of the oil. The color means diddly squat.

Make's more sense now. My dad always told me that when oil is dark it's time to change so i've been changing it every 5k with advanced full synthetic. Now that you say you go 20k oil filter interval's i feel a lot more comfortable. Valvoline is all i've ever used besides pennzoil and castrol. I just got this truck back in november put about 8k miles or so on it. Still have my corolla but I work in construction so I'd rather have my truck because everyone locks they're vans and it's a pain to unlock em. I use my truck as a truck aswell

Back