Changing ATF due to age?

Hey guys. I inherited a 2014 Yaris w/4k on it from a family member one year ago. I'm now at 14k. All the fluids are original besides the oil. The ATF looks nice and red as it should, but I'm wondering if I should change it out since it's 7 years old, been in the car since 2013 date of mfg. Thinking just doing a pan drain and refill, since the filter is likely okay due to the low miles. Brake fluid is on the list as well. Plan on using genuine Toyota WS, since it's a small pan and any cost saving using a compatible fluid (MaxLife, etc) aren't worth it for 4 quarts.

Any insight is appreciated.

It doesnt get contamination(like motor oil does) but since its factory fill and 7 years I'd change it.

Usually there is extra break in wear in there.

Couple schools of thought.

Low miles, so why bother.

Low miles, maybe a ton of stop and go with the foot on the brakes in heavy traffic (higher heat load and less cooling)

Me, anything 'new to me' I like to start with a baseline, so everything gets changed as soon as practical. That way I know where I'm starting from with no guessing.

I wouldn't touch it until at least 30k miles. How much do you plan to drive it?

Won't hurt a thing changing it. But since you're going to be taking the pan off, might as well change the filter also.

Waste of time and money changing 7 year old 14k mile transmission fluid unless you've submerged it in water off roading (in which case it should have been changed immediately) or did something weird with the vent tube.

I have a belief of any new to me vehicle gets all fluids drained and refilled. Anyone who says why waste it and doesn't own the vehicle gets to voice opinion but does not get to vote on what I will or will not do. You own it and it is yours. Do as you like. I have said what I do with new to me vehicles.

Change it
Since it's just a plug removal and drain 3-4 quarts it's a good idea
You'll find around here thats there's lots of guys that would rather save $30 bucks on fluid and risk a tranny down the road to save $30 bucks of fluid.
Change it and buy peace of mind !!ðŸ‘

You will find metal particles buildup on magnetic drain plug, what hasn't been caught but ATF filter - that's only part of all the metal particles floating in ATF (some are non magnetic) and overall mass and particles size are much greater than what is floating in engine oil. Drain and fill, remove that abrasive junk from ATF.

Originally Posted by stanlee
Waste of time and money changing 7 year old 14k mile transmission fluid unless you've submerged it in water off roading (in which case it should have been changed immediately) or did something weird with the vent tube.

^^^ Pretty much my thoughts exactly ^^^

In 2014 changed out twenty one year old Dex 2 which only had 40k miles on it.I might be pushing up daisies before the next change. The fluid/ filter looked like new. I never change ATF based on time, only mileage accrued.. Brake fluid gets flushed out with every brake job whatever mileage or time has accumulated.

Last edited:
Should have a drain pug and dipstick. So you do not need to drop the pan unless its leaking. Just drive around to get warm, drain, and then fill.

I am not a fan of the Toyota fluid, burns up to easy. I always use aftermarket in Toyotas like Castrol Syn or Valvoline Maxlife. But the trans itself is not that picky. So any new fluid that at least meets spec will be fine.

Well, now that you've heard the different schools of thought, you have to go by your gut & what makes you sleep at night.
I am in the school of thought that, I want to know that I can start out fresh with all new fluids. but, don't kill yourself getting them done tomorrow. Take your time and do each fluid as it's convenient and as your money allows for those fluids.

Those Yaris'(the Toyota made ones) are a very reliable vehicle and should last a long time without too many issues. This isn't to say that the Mazda(mazda2) made Yaris iA(2016-present) isn't reliable, IT IS! But, those Toyota versions have shown to be exceptionally reliable car even if they're not quite a desirable car.

However, they're still a nice little car to drive around town or even on the hiwy. They're just not a hiwy cruiser for extended long trips with a family.

Those in my circle who own one(retires folks) just love'em!

As easy as the job is and you are probably looking at $20-30 in fluid and a 50¢ crush washer to replace about 50% of the fluid is a no brainer. Transmissions ain't cheap.

Originally Posted by Hermann
As easy as the job is and you are probably looking at $20-30 in fluid and a 50¢ crush washer to replace about 50% of the fluid is a no brainer. Transmissions ain't cheap.

I agree. I dropped my pan and changed the filter in both my Jeeps @ about 10K miles. Most of the break in wear in an automatic transmission occurs early on, reliable sources indicated to me during the first 10K miles. Given the age, and the miles it would be a no brainer for me to do the job.

I took a look at your owners manual. Toyota does not mention the transmission fluid as a maintenance item. If it looks good and only has 14,000 miles I would not bother to change it. If you had 50,000 miles on it, I would change it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back